General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MSF road test info

Old 12-12-2007, 03:29 PM
bensonjv
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default MSF road test info

Anyone know where there is a link to the Road test info - with layout of the course, specific write-ups of performance tasks, etc for the basic course?

The wife took her MSF course a year or so ago. The info is sketchy on what the road test portion consisted of. The book doesn't include that info. Certainly we both recall the box, offset cone weave, running over the 2x4, and a few other things. But trying to obtain the specific info relating to the course. Tried the MSF website but they don't have that info listed. Not sure why.

Reason for asking is she's been off the bike for a few months and now we are getting her sea legs back. She wanted to run through the MSF skills to baseline her current abilities and see where she needs to focus on.

Thanks.

Old 12-12-2007, 03:59 PM
rwagon57
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: MSF road test info

As far as I know the details of the course lay outs and the exercises are treated as proprietary information and are not available on the publicly accessible part of the MSF-USA.org site.

Things that your wife could work on are clutch control and friction zone, shifting and stopping (straight line), and then work towards the low speed maneuvering such as perimeter (90 degree) turns, weaves, and the box, etc.

Another option if she didn't get on the bike after taking the course a year ago is do it again. As a ridercoach I strongly encourage people to actively practice the new skills and be riding their own bike with in a couple weeks. The longer a person waits to actually get on a bike after completing the course the more they forget or do incorrectly.

Old 12-12-2007, 04:07 PM
jbphoto
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd suggest getting a copy of the DVD "Ride like a Pro"

http://www.ridelikeapro.com/

It details a bunch of different lay outs and exercises that would be useful to you guys.

Old 12-12-2007, 07:05 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

Yeah, there's probably no one who would share that information....

[IMG]local://upfiles/38853/788539887FB54A7F8F910CD0C6F7C103.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-12-2007, 07:06 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member

In the interest of your wife's safety, here's page 2

[IMG]local://upfiles/38853/A7AC160BFF11406CAB489A1E0739390A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-12-2007, 07:07 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member

If she really wants to practice, check out page 3.....

[IMG]local://upfiles/38853/7D840F3FE77542AEBAA98EB2D87C1C14.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-12-2007, 07:08 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member

And if she double clicks page 4, she can practice the most dangerous one....swerving.

[IMG]local://upfiles/38853/7D1ACF843A2449119BFE50E8293D93A7.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-12-2007, 07:17 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member

Most of the MSF test is exactly what you can find in the back of any state's motorcycle permit/licensing manual, as most states use the MSF curriculum to test, so I don't think this is considered proprietory. The MSF test, however, uses "tighter" tolerances. The states want to know for sure that if the students are licensed through MSF, that they are qualified to pass the state test at exam stations.

The course itself would be proprietory, but not the testing, so I won't scan any other pages.

Old 12-13-2007, 02:34 PM
bensonjv
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

We're going to look at the ride like a pro series.

We'd consider taking the MSF course again. Been a few years for me as well. Locally there is a shortage of courses available (long story). Anyway, she's got most of the basics down. We've done friction control, balance, straight line, stopping, starting, and cone weaves. The box is today through this weekend.

We were simply looking for the MSF info to help refresh the memory on what was required for the test. Figured focusing on that would focus her on the important fundamentals. (As opposed to teaching her how to blip the throttle the right way at stop lights)

Thanks for the replies.

Old 12-16-2007, 10:22 PM
TxRooster
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go to whichever company / sponsor is doing the couse and request a small blue/white and black booklet that shows how to set up the range in a parking lot with small cones or just half tennis *****.
I do agree with the above statement that it would not hurt that both of you go back thru the course. I am a rangecoach myself and truely love what I do. GoodLuck

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: MSF road test info