General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rotator cuff surgery and riding....

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 06:06 PM
njdiver
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: rotator cuff surgery and riding....

December '06 I had this surgery on my right shoulder, I couldn't ride for 8 weeks. That's why I had it done in December so when the warmer weather hit I'd be ready. Still takes about 6 months before you really feel comfortable on a bagger.

Good luck on your surgery!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-09-2008, 06:22 PM
BobStreetBob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had the same surgery just over 3 months ago. They went in at 4 places on mine. Doc said it'd be 4 months tillI could ride...I was on the bike in 3 weeks...short rides at first. Now everyday and no limit. Just make sure you do the Physical therapy and keep exercising the shoulder but be very careful not to overdo it. I'm back in the gym and getting strength back slowly but surely. I'll be dead honest with you and tell you it's gonna be miserable for a few weeks,but before you know it.itwill be behind you. Also,and I'm serious here...watch them percosets they give you...they make the pain stop real good and you'll like that..just don't like it too much like I did..it was hell coming down offa them things..was sick for days. Shoot me a message if you have any other questions that maybe I can help ya with.

Old 01-09-2008, 06:28 PM
MJR
Tourer

8 weeks[>:] Don't ride now [:'(]or don't ride later
No good choices if you able to ride this time of year.

Old 01-09-2008, 06:55 PM
Lumpy63
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My mother told me if I didn't stop doing "that", I'd go blind or get pimples.

She never mentioned tearing a rotator cuff..........[sm=escape.gif]

Old 01-09-2008, 07:05 PM
Radical
Tourer

4-6 weeks depending on how well you respond to PT.

Old 01-09-2008, 07:40 PM
Rockrat
Cruiser

You guys are lucky. Had the arthroscopic surgery to grind off a bone spur (rotator cuff was OK, but spur was starting to dig into it). Three years later, I have just started riding again, but have to be careful as my right arm will go numb if I am not careful. I use the cruise and have to rest my arm now and then after about 50 miles. Haven't gone on any long trips yet. I'll see what happens.

Old 01-10-2008, 06:19 AM
HuronBob
Cruiser

Thanks much to everyone who took the time to respond to my question. I'm in the situation where I am not in so much pain and discomfort that I can't hold off a bit on this, looks like it might make sense to time the surgery so as to allow myself the maximum amount of time to heal before riding (and fishing!) season hits again.

Again... thanks for the feedback, I hope all you guys with wounded shoulders continue to heal OK..!

Old 01-10-2008, 09:41 AM
Redneck
Road Captain

I had mine done 4 months ago and was riding my bike 4 weeks later. It all depends on how fast you recover etc... Best of luck with your surgery.

Old 01-10-2008, 10:11 AM
MyFirstHD
Road Master

Had my left side done 10 years ago. (Martial Arts). Didn't train for 6 month, 9 months before it was good as new,but everything else was OK. A buddy tore his, rested for about a year, he said it healed itself.
Now I think my right side is ripped. Haven't been to the doctor but am trying to do the PT I remember for 10 years ago. After3 months it doesn't wake me up at night anymore but I don't have full range of motion yet.
I'm almost 50 now but if it isn't better after this summer I might be my winter project.

Old 01-10-2008, 08:36 PM
bsea
Road Captain
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: rh8234

I had rotator cuff surgery in November 2006 (not arthroscopic) and had tear repaired as well as having about 1 &1/2 inches of colar bone removed due to arthritis. I was riding and golfing in about 5 weeks.
I'm having this exact surgery on the 15th. Timed it for the middle of winter so I hopefully won't miss any riding.

Bill

Quick Reply: rotator cuff surgery and riding....