General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leather jacket-Cossack or conventional collar?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 02:21 PM
Ace07FXDL
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Leather jacket-Cossack or conventional collar?

I'm in the process of ordering a leather jacket from Langlitz, a Columbia. The one item I'm on the fence about is the collar. Should I go with a conventional collar or the Cossack collar? I don't like wind coming in the front and the cossack collar seems to be more airtight but I like the look of the conventional collar too. Does anyone have or had both type collars on a leather and what did you prefer? Heres a link to see. Just click on Columbia or Cossack to see the difference. What collar is better?

http://www.langlitz.com/jackets.shtml

Old 01-09-2008, 02:26 PM
Wildcat68
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Leather jacket-Cossack or conventional collar?

The Cossack will not allow wind to "inflate" or "puff" up your jacket at speed. Now having a windshield (which I don't) would block some of that. The Columbia jacket with the "traditional" snap down lapels does tend to open up at speed and let in air. I have a "racer" type jacket with the collar kinda like the Cossack and I wear it on the real cold days (below 40) and the other type I wear on the cool days..Good Luck hope this opinion helps.

Old 01-09-2008, 03:15 PM
Dorkman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Had both and prefer the Cossack collar. As mentioned, it seals out the wind when its closed, and doesn't puff out. When you need ventillation, just zip it down and it allows circulation without flapping.

Old 01-09-2008, 03:32 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

I have both and both seal out the wind when closed and both let in some wind when partially open. The conventional motorcycle jacket collar snaps closed around your neck and does not puff out from the wind any more than the cossack collar, in my experience.

With your beautiful bike, I think the traditional jacket goes best.

Old 01-09-2008, 04:06 PM
tlb
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I prefer the Cossack collar on a riding jacket for the reason mentioned above. I would like to add look for a jacket with a zip out liner and zippered vents front and rear.
http://leatherup.com/p/Mens-Motorcyc...ets/41220.html
http://leatherup.com/p/Mens-Motorcyc...ket/41508.html
I dont have either of these jackets just an example. I have one similar made by power trip. it is a costly jacket about 300.00 bucks I absolutely love it. http://www.rockheadbikes.com/Product...e=PTMPGLDJ%2DBI got it off ebay for about 50 bucks by the way. I had a girl in line paying for gas start rubbing it and saying how nice of a jacket it was. I wish I had gotten it in an extra long since I'm extra short. by the way with the zippers open and liner out you can wear it riding comfortably at 90 degrees.

Old 01-09-2008, 04:14 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Depends on whether you want to look like Marlon Brando or not !!!

Old 01-09-2008, 07:57 PM
chiabate
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No Clouseau/Inspector Dreyfuss fans here yet? "Two waiters, a doorman and a COSSACK!" You're a one man killing machine!

Old 02-29-2008, 01:27 PM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

I have the Cascade and Columbia with the cossack collars. In goat skin with pads.

That said the Columbia is the most functional and best fitting jacket I now have.

Because of the way a lanlitz over laps the collar styleis more personal preference.

Hope this helps.

Old 02-29-2008, 01:30 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I certainly prefer snap down collars, or those that don't flap around. You can take a serious beating with flapping leather collars!!!

Old 02-29-2008, 01:36 PM
Royce
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

I havejackets with both collars; the classic collar that comes standard on the Columbia is more versatile in my opinion. There also tends to be less binding around your neck with the Columbia if you wear a scarf or abandana of some sort. Congrats on your new Langlitz, I think that you'll find that it's a jacket like no other.

Quick Reply: Leather jacket-Cossack or conventional collar?