General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Glide, Road King, Electra Glide, Buell, aerodynamics

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 10:35 PM
indiebarjohn
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road Glide, Road King, Electra Glide, Buell, aerodynamics

I own an 05 Super Glide Sport. I put a small, chin high, H-D plexiglass sport windshield on it for one year. Then I replaced it with a Corbin fiberglass, electra glide looking fairing. I almost think the smaller windshield offered better wind protection. I am thinking of buying a new Harley for, one day, 8 hour, 500 mile long rides on the interstate followed by 8 hour, 250 mile long rides on roads such as the Blue Ridge Parkway or the Pacific Coast Highway. What do you fellow riders think of the various windshield configurations available on the many H-D models. For kicks lets throw in the Buell (how do you spell it) Ullseyes.

Old 01-31-2008, 07:18 AM
ricoman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Road Glide, Road King, Electra Glide, Buell, aerodynamics

From what their owners say (and will say here- just wait!) the Road Glide is maybe the best HD for the highway.(wait for eglide arguments on that statement!). I have an 05 RKC and get some pretty good buffeting at 70 and up on the interstates. But for my riding preferences it is what I want.
The Ulysses is not a highway machine. Probably very goodon dirt roads with limited and infrequent long distance highway running. The Buell is not for the vertically challenged. Seat height is up there. I would love to try a Ulysses (I'm with you on the spelling) in Baja or maybe Costa Rica or even the great gravel roads in the Dakotas. Seems to be more of a dual sport than cruiser or touring.

Old 01-31-2008, 07:58 AM
adlad
Advanced

I have an 07 EG std. and the windshield/fairing does a great job even in high winds. The only complaint I have is that I am 6'2" and the top of the windshield ends right in the middle of my field of vision. I have to either slump a little or sit up real straight (not that good posture is a bad thing, just not comfortable). I know hd makes a taller windshield and I may try that.

adlad
07 EG Standard

Old 01-31-2008, 09:02 AM
JW
Road Captain

for wind protection I think the EG's are best, for riding the RG just flat rocks. Highway, twisties it takes it all in stride.

[IMG]local://upfiles/2160/4F887922808940F6A7A7F008AE3CB9A3.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-31-2008, 09:55 AM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have to go with road glide for air flow. I have rode the service bike that was electra glide. I only put 1000 miles on it in a week. I was so glad to get the road glide back for my highway rides. I go down to the dealership for the weekend demo rides. This is a good way to check out all the different bike types. The buell are fun bikes. They have less weight short wheel base. They will pull wheel off the the ground without thinking about it. The road kings ride nice. Do need the over sized windshield to keep the air off you.

Old 02-01-2008, 07:41 AM
Bodyshot1
Road Captain

rico - as having just traded in a Buell, Lightning, not Uly, I have to tell you...majority of the Uly riders are using them for distance highway riding...apparently they're very comfortable for this application. You can get the taller windshield, the seat and ergos are well thought-out..they also offer a lower seat for the vertically challenged...not to mention the hardcase luggage designed specifically for the Uly..

not my thing, but a cool bike.

ORIGINAL: ricoman

From what their owners say (and will say here- just wait!) the Road Glide is maybe the best HD for the highway.(wait for eglide arguments on that statement!). I have an 05 RKC and get some pretty good buffeting at 70 and up on the interstates. But for my riding preferences it is what I want.
The Ulysses is not a highway machine. Probably very goodon dirt roads with limited and infrequent long distance highway running. The Buell is not for the vertically challenged. Seat height is up there. I would love to try a Ulysses (I'm with you on the spelling) in Baja or maybe Costa Rica or even the great gravel roads in the Dakotas. Seems to be more of a dual sport than cruiser or touring.