Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > General Harley Davidson Forums > General Harley Davidson Chat
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by: J&P Cycles

P

Old 10-17-2008, 06:05 PM
Elite HDF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxflhrci View Post
The last one I got was 5 bucks from the local locksmith.

We got extra keys made at a strange little place called "Terry's 5 & 10" that not only has a nice selection of cookie cutters, imported toys and party supplies, but stocks Harley key blanks and cuts them - cost about $3 each. Everybody else said "go to the dealer, spend $40 and wait 2 weeks."
Old 10-17-2008, 06:28 PM
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlb View Post
The key, they can order overnight emergency but it cost extra. the security fob is not an issue I got a replacement off ebay for 12 bucks total, but a couple of people here offered an extra for free, they are easy to program takes about 5 minutes to include reading. well you are in texas maybe 10 minutes for you.
Someone from Oklahoma said that?
Old 10-17-2008, 07:24 PM
Elite HDF Member

I did the same trick, leaving the key in the fork lock, while I backed the bike up just a bit in the garage. Couldn't figure what the crunch sound was when I straightened the forks.
Went to a locksmith. He cut me a new key and drew the key barrel, with the number for each cut, going around the circle, on to his business card. He said I should be able to bring the card to any locksmith and they will be able to make a duplicate key, when and if I need one.
Tom

2005 Fat Boy SE
D&D, Fat Cat; Carriage Works,Spider wheels; Thunder, Iron Bags
Old 10-17-2008, 07:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulchritude View Post
Any body know how hard it will be for me to get a replacement key?

I had to move my bike a little this morning. I put the key into unlock the fork and move the bike. Left the key in their like I used to do on my Sporty. And proceeded to mangle the key. [:@]

I bought the bike used and got only one key (this is a great item to add to the list of why you should always have a spare key) and now I am wondering how long it will be before I can ride again!

Will I have to go to the dealership to order the key and then wait for them to order it from the company and get it shipped to me? Or will I get lucky in that it will be a somewhat easier (or rather less lengthy) process?

I believe your stuck with the dealer on this one.
Old 10-17-2008, 07:59 PM
Elite HDF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbphoto View Post
Hey skip,

You do realize, don't you, that you replied to a thread that died 8 months ago?

Just sayin'
Hey JB, you do know that you replied to a reply on a dead thread also? Oh **** (darn!), that means that I replied to a reply to a reply to a thread that died 8 months ago too. Oh, this could get tiresome!

2004 Vivid Black Road King Standard
2004 Sierra Red FXD -Gone, but not Forgotten
Old 10-17-2008, 10:59 PM
Road Master
Why would I facebook? Wouldn't "tweet" if you held a gun to my head

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBaker421 View Post
Someone from Oklahoma said that?
I know this is a dead thread, but I just HAVE to agree with you on that!
Old 10-17-2008, 11:19 PM
Senior Rider

Bought my Harley used, it only came with one key so I ordered one (as others have already said they come in pairs) from the dealer. Not sure how long it took to come in since I had one already I just picked them up the next time I was at the dealership.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:17 PM
Hang Around
Question Harley Davidson 2010 Road King

Anybody know where I can get a replacement Key for my Harley Davidson 2010 Road King. The dealer wants 40 bucks. You attention is appreciated.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:45 PM
Elite HDF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxflhrci View Post
The last one I got was 5 bucks from the local locksmith.
You probably had a key for him to copy - the OP does not.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin - 1775.

If you are dressing for the crash, instead of for the ride, you should wear a Prius.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:48 PM
Elite HDF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iammspike View Post
Anybody know where I can get a replacement Key for my Harley Davidson 2010 Road King. The dealer wants 40 bucks. You attention is appreciated.
Any locksmith.

I bought a replacement lock for a softail toolbox, which also came with 2 softail key blanks. Then I took those and my key to a locksmith and got copies, but they had a pretty hard time copying the original, so they aren't great copies. If you want good ones, order from harley. Otherwise, go find a good locksmith with all the equipment and blanks.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin - 1775.

If you are dressing for the crash, instead of for the ride, you should wear a Prius.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:48 PM

P