General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1979 SHOVELHEAD, HOW MUCH IS IT WORTH??

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 05:53 PM
badinfluence63
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 1979 SHOVELHEAD, HOW MUCH IS IT WORTH??

Even if it needed engine work its worth 3500$. I have seen basket cases and rolling chasis (no motor or transmissions) for 3500$. That is agood not greatdeal in my opinion. Holy ****. If you were trying to get 8000$ and he is offering 4500$ plus the bike, thats pretty thats tempting. With a little TLC from you you could make a profit on the bike. Before you do the deal do a compression test on both cylinders, then call the dealer and ask a mechanic what the compression should be and theacceptable disparity between the front and rear cylinder. That wil give you a little insight into the bikes condition.

Old 03-02-2008, 07:48 PM
44M
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Even if it needed engine work its worth 3500$
this is good, I was hoping to hear something like this..

Old 03-02-2008, 08:29 PM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: 44M

well, here is the deal, I am closing down my trucking business and selling the last one of 3 trucks I had, it is an 1994 Peterbilt cabover and bootom dollar I would take was $8,000.00, however, gentleman is offering me $4,500.00 cash + 1979 shovelhead, as long as I am (value wise) at at least $8,000.00 I`m ok, so this bike should be worth at least $3,500.00 for me to do the deal.If you guys think that it is, great, but if you think that bike is not worth $3,500.00 than I can`t make the deal.I`m not worried about selling it right now, it`s spring and I don`t mind riding around on nice Harley.Only two things I`m worried about are that this bike may not be worth $around 4K and that I`m 6'5" and 300lbs , and I don`t know how big that bike really is.Is it a bigger bike or a small one?? now, that`s the thing.

Db

btw...

thanks to everyone for all the advices you gave me, I got some by email also, and so far it seems that this bike should be worth around 5K maybe 6K..
Db,read your "deal". Nodoubt. The bike is worth more than 3500. Basket cases sell for that much as long as you have a title. As to your size , that is an FLH. It will haul you and Momma. For 3500, I'd buy it if it was local to me. NOW, I do have access to shovel parts up the yazoo, so it wouldn't bother me the way it sits.
This is just my opinion and suggestion here, so PLEASE take it as such: If I were in your stuation, I would find a buddy, a local indy or find someone who knows a li'l 'bout shovelheads, and have them take a look at it and fire it up. If it runs decent and doesn't smoke, runs and shifts, make the trade. At this point you have 3500 in it. If you are a wrench,(gotta believe you do a little with trucks in your blood)go ahead and just do some clean up on it. Get any wires straightenend out, throw a tune up on it if it needs it. Just generally get it cleaned up. Throw it on Craigslist for, say, 7800 or 8000.Go back to my original post, and look thru those. The one REALLY nice one with the hardbags and burgundy color, has been on there for about 2 1/2 mths, and started at 10,000. Gives you an idea of what they are going for. Now, if you have to come down to, say 7000 (depends on your area and who's riding in your area) even 6500, 0r 6000. While you are waiting for it to sell, start looking for the HD you want. Be it an Ultra, a Road KIng, a Fatboy, what ever you think, and find that you like and fits your "style". Once the shovel sells, and it will, ppl are looking for shovels again, but as a second bike, not a road warrior. Now take the $$ from that sale, and use it towards the one you "want." Again, for 3500, I'd buy it in a heart beat, but I love wrenching and restoring them. If that is not your cup of tea, then trade and sell. You won't lose any money for3500. And if you want a shovel to ride, and it needs an upper end, you will still come out on it. Try to get as much paperwork on the s'posed rebuild as possible and find out who did it. If able, talk to that person also. When one goes outta here, it has ALL the dimensionsand clearances listed. Compression and leak down stats. And a wiring schematic if I did any "custom" wiring on it. If we can be of any help or assistance, just PM me, will certainly try to help any way we can. In Mn if you didn't notice.
BTW:I used to herd a 73 KW Conventional with a "dead tired" 4 1/4 Cat hauling grain to SooCity, Iowa back in 78. Stop in Sioux Falls, SoDak, fill'er with oil and check the fuel.

Old 03-02-2008, 09:09 PM
Keystone
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I`m ok, so this bike should be worth at least $3,500.00 for me to do the deal.If you guys think that it is, great, but if you think that bike is not worth $3,500.00 than I can`t make the deal.

Take the advice Gumpy gave you and make the deal. IMO it's a good trade. Having $3500 into a running bike is a great deal.

Old 03-02-2008, 09:20 PM
ko4qc
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Da Gumpmeister

ORIGINAL: ko4qc

Wondered when someone would throw AMF into the thread...:&gt
I didn't, cuz it is really a mute point anymore.
...ummm...either the point cant speak or maybe you meant MOOT....:&gt

Old 03-02-2008, 10:04 PM
Softail Sam
Tourer

If this bike has a good clear title jump on the deal.

Old 03-02-2008, 10:41 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

In my spring issue of Vintage Motorcycles it shows that a condition 3 at about $7K and a condition 4 at about $5K. Could say a more precise value if I knew the exact model.

Old 03-03-2008, 07:42 AM
44M
Banned

ORIGINAL: Softail Sam

If this bike has a good clear title jump on the deal.
ok, will do, if this bike is worth what you guys say it is , I`ll do it.I emailed a seller asking about title and receipts for work done but didn`t get his answer yet.

Db

Old 03-03-2008, 07:48 AM
44M
Banned

ORIGINAL: Da Gumpmeister

Wondered when someone would throw AMF into the thread...:&gt
I didn't, cuz it is really a mute point anymore.
...ummm...either the point cant speak or maybe you meant MOOT....:&gt
I have a friend of mine who works at the Castle Motorcycles in Rivergate by Nashville, and he told me these bikes are pretty much a trash, they are concidered a cheapest Harleys out there and that he would pass on this deal.I heard that from him before I posted my question here but I wanted to hear from Harley guys, so yes, I know about AMF era but still, I don`t believe Shovelheads are trash, matter of fact, I don`t believe any Harley motorcycle is trash, not everyone can afford $18,000.00 for a bike, so the guys who love Harleys and don`t have much dough ride shovelheads, they work on them ,fix them and bild them up to look awesome, not a $18K - $20K bike but still a nice Harley, I would think.

Db

Old 03-03-2008, 08:10 AM
badinfluence63
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like he's trying to throw you off the deal so he cn capitalize on it. AMF wasn't 100% bad for the moco. They established innovations for motorcycle production. I was told one time but have since forgotten. I think AMF improved the production line aspect of how the MOCO was doing it.

Quick Reply: 1979 SHOVELHEAD, HOW MUCH IS IT WORTH??