General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how to tighten clutch hub nut

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 04:50 PM
old evo
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: how to tighten clutch hub nut

THanks for the imput I dont have a impact .

Old 03-21-2008, 04:52 PM
DeJavu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Da Gumpmeister

ORIGINAL: DeJavu

Note: I originally posted "put it in 1st gear" I edited it but you guys are too quick, should read "4th" it holds a lot better that way. Mine has no starter so that was not thought of, I guess it is better to be safe, Huh!
Whuts this "starter" thingy you guys are referring to? Is that on the 5 spd? I looked all over on mine, can't locate. PLEASE advise. And the bike "starts" itself. Damm, what'll think of next?
So you been using that pedal thingy to ride down the road kickin and a kickin thinkin "Boy, this sure is a lotta work, they outa have put an engine on it".

Old 03-21-2008, 04:52 PM
Jumpman
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: Da Gumpmeister

Whuts this "starter" thingy you guys are referring to? Is that on the 5 spd? I looked all over on mine, can't locate. PLEASE advise. And the bike "starts" itself. Damm, what'll think of next?

I think people were referring to damaging the 'STATOR".

My post was referring to the STARTER gear (jack-shaft)indavertently popping out and engaging with the flywheel... HIGHLY (Damned near impossible to missIF it were to happen)unlikely, butIF it were to happen - you run the risk of the bike trying to turn-over when you put an impact onthe clutch-hub.

Old 03-21-2008, 05:04 PM
DeJavu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: old evo

THanks for the imput I dont have a impact .
Find a place or buddy near who has one, tire places do. You will never get enough torque on it with a wrench, even using a hammer on it. Tighten it as much as you can with the brake set and in 4th gear. When you have the bike together enough to ride, carefully ride it to where the air impact is. You can then set the brake and trans again and pull the Derby off to get at the nut. Have the air set about 100 psi and go at it. I tighten it down a little, then make a mark with a magic marker on the socket and clutch lip so I can tell when it quits moving. That will be tight enough. Hope this helps, like I said, too little torque is a big NO,NO. Good Luck!

Old 03-21-2008, 05:09 PM
old evo
6th Gear

When I was messing around earlier today for some reason I pulled ,or pushed on the bendix lever to see how the new hub lined up,I got a big surprise because it did try to start . Scared the crap out of me,couldnt believe that happened with the key off. Snowing now No big rush!

Old 03-21-2008, 05:11 PM
old evo
6th Gear

THANKS FOR THE INFO !

Old 03-21-2008, 05:40 PM
old evo
6th Gear

To Dagumpmeister Id like to see that kicker in action

Old 03-22-2008, 09:34 AM
RHillbilly
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I use double box end wrench that fits between compensating sprocket and clutch sprocket and it bind in and stops it from turning they have atool for this kinda shaped like the wrench. Dont impact the clutch hub on torque it to proper specs over tighttened mine was reall hard to get off next time

Old 12-31-2012, 01:42 AM
Jonathon Beaudin
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DeJavu
It's best to use an air impact wrench to get it tight enough. It's a fine thread with over 3/4" engagement so you won't hurt it. If it ever loosens up you will shear the key and that can leave you stranded and damage the shaft. Don't know what the manual says but this has worked for me over the years.

hey, just wanted to ask... I tightened my clutch basket nut by hand, and it seems so tight I cant push my kick down. If I loosen it off a touch my kick will push down ok.... I just put in a sputhe 5 in 4 tranny. It only has a little oil in it, the clutch is dry from being out, and I used grease to hold the needle bearings while i slipped the clutch on. So when reading your post about Impacting the nut on, obviously it needs to be tight.

Maybe when the primary oil is in, and the tranny is full it will be a lot better? or did I forget something? The manual says 80-100 ft pounds I dont have that torque wrench

Thanks
(81 Lowrider)

Old 12-31-2012, 10:28 AM
dribble
Grand HDF Member
Received 457 Likes on 248 Posts

Primary chain locking tool.

Quick Reply: how to tighten clutch hub nut