General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how to tighten clutch hub nut

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 11:30 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,830 Likes on 17,453 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonathon Beaudin
hey, just wanted to ask... I tightened my clutch basket nut by hand, and it seems so tight I cant push my kick down. If I loosen it off a touch my kick will push down ok.... I just put in a sputhe 5 in 4 tranny. It only has a little oil in it, the clutch is dry from being out, and I used grease to hold the needle bearings while i slipped the clutch on. So when reading your post about Impacting the nut on, obviously it needs to be tight.

Maybe when the primary oil is in, and the tranny is full it will be a lot better? or did I forget something? The manual says 80-100 ft pounds I dont have that torque wrench

Thanks
(81 Lowrider)
Sounds like something isn't sitting right and when you tighten things it locks up . Who did the assembly on the trans itself ? you buy it that way or build it ?

Old 12-31-2012, 11:56 AM
Ragtop
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,011 Likes on 576 Posts

Originally Posted by old evo
When I was messing around earlier today for some reason I pulled ,or pushed on the bendix lever to see how the new hub lined up,I got a big surprise because it did try to start . Scared the crap out of me,couldnt believe that happened with the key off. Snowing now No big rush!
Yes, this can be very dangerous, I'm pretty sure this is how my friend lost his finger while working on his FX starter...be very careful. I would disconnect the battery for sure! He said it hurt like hell, somehow he got his finger somewhere
where it shouldn't have been, and chopped it clean off!! Index finger too!
Yikes!

Old 12-31-2012, 12:09 PM
Jonathon Beaudin
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought it assembled. They said the gears were good, and they changed the throw out bearing I did look in it from the top cover and the gears did look really good, they left that cover loose so I could look, not that I really knew what to look for

Its hydraulic clutch tranny btw if that might matter...

Maybe its in between shifts or something? that kinda not sitting right maybe?

I did have to file a spot on the threads of the shaft cause there was a ding. Maybe in shipping it got dropped on the shaft and jammed something?

geez maybe I should just hammer it with the impact....

When I took the clutch off the old 4 speed, I used the impact but the nut came off without much trouble. The clutch wasnt hard to get off the shaft either. I wonder if the last guy left it not so tight too. It is "fairly" tight where it will still move ok when I push the kicker, maybe thats good enough with the lock tab on the nut, and its a lefty nut too...?

Attached Thumbnails  how to tighten clutch hub nut-img_0129__1356980216_72_172_113_224.jpg    how to tighten clutch hub nut-img_0121__1356980397_72_172_113_224.jpg  

Last edited by Jonathon Beaudin; 12-31-2012 at 01:02 PM.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:34 PM
Jonathon Beaudin
Intermediate

The gears in there looked really good.
Im going to remove the tranny and have a look inside. has to be something inside jamming up.
It seems torquing on the main shaft has made it jam. That bothers me... hopefully it will be something just needs simple adjusting. I checked out some youtube videos on dissasembly, and it accually looks fairly strait forward. Ill let u know if I find it

Old 01-02-2013, 12:08 PM
wraplock
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

guess I'm showing my age but when I was working on my old Pan or Shovel, whenever trying to remove or tighten the clutch hub nut I used a homemade tool that me and everyone I knew had.

We would take and old clutch friction disc and a 18" piece of flat steel. Drill two holes in the "Handle" and the clutch disc and bolt them together. Now slip the improvised tool over the clutch hub fingers and rotate the hub until the handle rested on the ground. Install your socket and wrench (or impact) and have at it. I still have my clutch hub nut tool in my tool box.

Old 01-02-2013, 12:53 PM
barhopperjon
Cruiser
Question

What he said! I used to have one of those also.

Old 01-02-2013, 03:09 PM
cmeaney
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Went to my Dealer and asked to purchase the 'primary locking tool.' Was asked how many people I thought asked for that in last year. I shrugged my shoulders. "One," he stated. "You." "Use an impact wrench." I did and have had no problems with nut.

The following users liked this post:
Fureek (05-15-2019)
Old 01-06-2013, 11:13 AM
Jonathon Beaudin
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Jonathon Beaudin
The gears in there looked really good.
Im going to remove the tranny and have a look inside. has to be something inside jamming up.
It seems torquing on the main shaft has made it jam. That bothers me... hopefully it will be something just needs simple adjusting. I checked out some youtube videos on dissasembly, and it accually looks fairly strait forward. Ill let u know if I find it

ok I took the tyranny back out. Looks like there were 2 different issues. I opened the top, and turned the shift drum, and it isnt locked up anymore.
I could see on the sprocket side of the inner primary some small scrape marks where the sprocket nut looked like it was hitting. There are grinder marks there where someone had ground away some material so the sprocket wouldnt touch and bind up with the 4 speed. It must not be the original primary cover. I ground it down a little more where the marks were and tightened everything up with the impact. Working great now. (oh yeah I glued in the key)

Thanx guys for all the think tank