Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > General Harley Davidson Forums > General Harley Davidson Chat
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by: J&P Cycles

P

Old 03-21-2008, 03:21 PM
Hang Around
Default how to tighten clutch hub nut

im trying to tighten the nut on a clutch hub,with reverse threads. How can you tighten the nut and keep the main shaft from turning? Mine has the 5 finger clutch hub of the pan, shovel clutch. thanks for any info.
Old 03-21-2008, 03:36 PM
Road Warrior
Default RE: how to tighten clutch hub nut

Take a clean towel and fold it about 4 or 5 times (fairly thick).

You can then kinda wedge it between the chain and the clutch hub - when you go to reinstall, you can wedge it between the mainshaft & chain. It will keep the whole assembly from turning.

1999 Road King Custom Build
- Featured in December 2007 Issue of Hot Bike Baggers

"I'll bust a Travis Bickle if I feel that I'm being pushed, don't step to me, or you're gonna get smooshed..."
Old 03-21-2008, 03:49 PM
Outstanding HDF Member

It's best to use an air impact wrench to get it tight enough. It's a fine thread with over 3/4" engagement so you won't hurt it. If it ever loosens up you will shear the key and that can leave you stranded and damage the shaft. Don't know what the manual says but this has worked for me over the years.
Old 03-21-2008, 04:09 PM
Ultimate HDF Member

Quote:
ORIGINAL: DeJavu

It's best to use an air impact wrench to get it tight enough. It's a fine thread with over 3/4" engagement so you won't hurt it. If it ever loosens up you will shear the key and that can leave you stranded and damage the shaft. Don't know what the manual says but this has worked for me over the years.
Thought I read somewhere specifically NOT to use an impact because of potential damage to the stator?
Old 03-21-2008, 04:09 PM
Ultimate HDF Member

Quote:

+4

American by Birth - Biker by Choice - Saved by GOD's Grace
So Many Bikes, So Few Bikers.
Old 03-21-2008, 04:16 PM
Outstanding HDF Member

Quote:
ORIGINAL: stro1965

Quote:

Thought I read somewhere specifically NOT to use an impact because of potential damage to the stator?
We are talking about the clutch basket, not the engine sprocket. To hold the clutch while tightening I bungee up the rear brake pedal real tight and put the trans in4th gear. It holds fine for use of an air wrench. Won't hurt anything.
Old 03-21-2008, 04:20 PM
Ultimate HDF Member

Quote:

Quote:
ORIGINAL: stro1965

Quote:

We are talking about the clutch basket, not the engine sprocket. To hold the clutch while tightening I bungee up the rear brake pedal real tight and put the trans in 1st gear. I holds fine for use of an air wrench. Won't hurt anything.
Ahhh...gotcha.
Old 03-21-2008, 04:20 PM
Road Warrior

Quote:

We are talking about the clutch basket, not the engine sprocket. To hold the clutch while tightening I bungee up the rear brake pedal real tight and put the trans in 1st gear. I holds fine for use of an air wrench. Won't hurt anything.
If you are leaving the bike in gear, and putting an impact on the clutch-hubnut - make sure and disconnect the ground wire from the starter.It's REALLY unlikely, but there is a chance of the bike trying to start on it's own...even with the rear break 'locked'.

1999 Road King Custom Build
- Featured in December 2007 Issue of Hot Bike Baggers

"I'll bust a Travis Bickle if I feel that I'm being pushed, don't step to me, or you're gonna get smooshed..."
Old 03-21-2008, 04:29 PM
Outstanding HDF Member

Note: I originally posted "put it in 1st gear" I edited it but you guys are too quick, should read "4th" it holds a lot better that way. Mine has no starter so that was not thought of, I guess it is better to be safe, Huh!
Old 03-21-2008, 04:47 PM
Ultimate HDF Member

Quote:

Note: I originally posted "put it in 1st gear" I edited it but you guys are too quick, should read "4th" it holds a lot better that way. Mine has no starter so that was not thought of, I guess it is better to be safe, Huh!
Whuts this "starter" thingy you guys are referring to? Is that on the 5 spd? I looked all over on mine, can't locate. PLEASE advise. And the bike "starts" itself. Damm, what'll think of next?

American by Birth - Biker by Choice - Saved by GOD's Grace
So Many Bikes, So Few Bikers.
Old 03-21-2008, 04:47 PM

P