General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Those effing torx bolts!!....UPDATE....UPDATE!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 02:22 PM
eglidebob
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Those effing torx bolts!!....UPDATE....UPDATE!!!

Anyone else hate them as bad as I do? So, I am getting the bike ready for spring. Pull the back wheel, get a new tire mounted. Last night I am going to throw the new floating rotor on so I can start re-installing the wheel tonight. Mind you the back rotor has never been off yet so.....get my T-40 torx bit on my ratchet and tug...and tug....WTF??? So I put a piece of pipe on the end on my ratchet and tug some more...until the T-40 torx bit strips!!! So,I spray it down with a little JB Blaster and tap on all of the bolts with a hammer to try and loosen them up. Get my L-shaped T-40 torx wrench out of my tool box with a short piece of pipe on the end for leverage.....SNAP!!! There goes the end of my torx wrench. So I am standing there scratching my head...what to do now.I sprayed the bolts again with JB Blaster and called it a night. The torx bit is Craftsman so I figure I will go after work tonight and get a replacement, plus buy another one for a spare. Then I will do what I probably should have done in the first place and put the torx bit on my air impact gun and give 'er a try...........wish me luck all!!!

Old 03-24-2008, 02:26 PM
Daytona Glider
Cruiser
Default RE: Those effing torx bolts!!

I ran into the same thing when I was trying to put on my Toupack detachable bracket, stripped one and snapped of the second one. I had to end up getting one of those impact drivers you hit with a hammer. Really bothered me to hit on my bike that hard but there was no other way. Good Luck

Old 03-24-2008, 02:26 PM
the metal
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i wAS going to post a thread along the same lines, was thinking of a title like

why torx why? argggghhhhhhhhh

Old 03-24-2008, 02:32 PM
eglidebob
Tourer

ORIGINAL: the metal

I love my Harley, BUT, why do I need like seven different types of tools to work on it? Torx, Allen, metric, standard, Phillips, slotted...oh, and did I mention those effing torx???

Old 03-24-2008, 02:33 PM
eglidebob
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Daytona Glider

I ran into the same thing when I was trying to put on my Toupack detachable bracket, stripped one and snapped of the second one. I had to end up getting one of those impact drivers you hit with a hammer. Really bothered me to hit on my bike that hard but there was no other way. Good Luck
I think I have one of those impact drivers here at work, I may take it home just in case.

Old 03-24-2008, 02:35 PM
the metal
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: eglidebob

ORIGINAL: the metal

I love my Harley, BUT, why do I need like seven different types of tools to work on it? Torx, Allen, metric, standard, Phillips, slotted...oh, and did I mention those effing torx???
that's what i simply do not understand- why torx? why why why???????????/

( i stripped the torx that holds the front of the belt guard on recently, btw)

Old 03-24-2008, 02:36 PM
jad
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As you may know most if not all the bolts are installed with a thread locking compound, Loctite. Two things that will help first buy an impact driver as a shocking blow is better than a heavy steady push. Second most all thread locking compounds soften with heat. Apply concentrated heat to the head letting it penetrate the stud, not red hot! Just enough to soften the compound. That should help. I do all my own work as I had poor work done at the dealership.

I thoughtI'd add also look very close at your sizes. One size too small looks like itis the one but will strip.

[IMG]local://upfiles/47469/40931A60E4184F58AAEDF43C4D521AE9.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-24-2008, 02:37 PM
hdwd2000
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

They must get a good price for them from Taiwan

Old 03-24-2008, 02:52 PM
eglidebob
Tourer

ORIGINAL: jad

As you may know most if not all the bolts are installed with a thread locking compound, Loctite. Two things that will help first buy an impact driver as a shocking blow is better than a heavy steady push. Second most all thread locking compounds soften with heat. Apply concentrated heat to the head letting it penetrate the stud, not red hot! Just enough to soften the compound. That should help. I do all my own work as I had poor work done at the dealership.

I thoughtI'd add also look very close at your sizes. One size too small looks like itis the one but will strip.

[IMG]local://upfiles/47469/40931A60E4184F58AAEDF43C4D521AE9.jpg[/IMG]
That is exactly why I do my own work. I found my hand impact driver at work, so I will try that if my air impact doesn't work.I was hoping not to pull the belt sprocket, but if I need to beat on the impactdriver from the rotor side I certainly don't want to mess up the belt sprocket. I will also try heat.Also, the manual calls for a T-40, so I am sure I am using the right size (and we all know that the manual isa always right...hahaha).Thanks.

Old 03-24-2008, 02:57 PM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Man I feel your pain!

tried to take the tour pack bracket off my RK police. Put what I thought was the correct torx on it and gave her hell. "WTF! How much locktight is on this friggen thing?"...few seconds later, stripped!...now its either leave the bracket on or drill it out[:@][:@]...decided to have my friend make a custom box for the bracket and go that way for now...sometimes harley really pisses me off[:@]

Quick Reply: Those effing torx bolts!!....UPDATE....UPDATE!!!