General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

movein up to touring?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2006, 02:32 PM
fembiker
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default movein up to touring?

I've only been riding since 7/05, when I bought my 05 sportster 1200. At the time I didn't know how much I would love riding; I didn't know how much bike I could handle, and didn't want to invest the $$ on the other models. Well, I'm glad I started with the sporty, I've had time to gain confidence and I really think my bike is beautiful. Problem: my husband and I like to ride distance. He has an electra glide and distance is no problem for him. But everytime we go on a distance ride, say more than 70 miles, I'm miserable. Yesterday. with the weather here in so cal beautiful, we rode to the coast about 125 miles away. On the way back the wind was pretty strong and I needed a break. He suggested we trade bikes to give me a break. I was reluctant b/c I wasn't sure I could handle such a big bike. Well, the rest of the ride was like heaven. As soon as we got back I put an ad in the paper to sell my bike. I have wrestled with this issue before after long trips, but now I'm convinced that I need to invest in a touring bike if I really want to enjoy the ride. We also want to go to Sturgis and I just don't think I could handle that distance with my sportster. I'm thinking about the Street Glide, its lower than the electra glide, a bit lighter and a reach seat can help me with control. Please let me hear from anyone out there who has upgraded from a sportster, or anyone with suggestions. Thanks

Old 02-12-2006, 02:39 PM
dynamolowrider
Tourer
Default RE: movein up to touring?

we just moved up from a sporty to 06 low rider my wife rode it to work & said it was much easer to ride

Old 02-12-2006, 04:49 PM
fembiker
Advanced

Ya, I think its a common misconception that the sportster is easier to handle than the other models.

Old 02-12-2006, 05:14 PM
Older Guy
Tourer

TRY A DELUXE before you buy.
Bandit

Old 02-12-2006, 06:17 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Back in 04 I bought a XL883 with the thoughts that a nice small Sporty would be just the ticket to learn with. I had it 2 months and 3k miles before I bailed and bought a 05 EG Classic, I took a rental EG and found it had much better low speed handling than the Sporty. I now have a 06 Ultra, if you've ridden a EG already and like it I say what are you waiting for. To me once your used to the bike the weight doesn't mean a thing, I can toss my Ultra around pretty much like a toy. I've ridden the Heritage Softail, the Softail Deluxe, RK Custom and a EG Standard, I still love the big bike. My dad started with a Sporty then bought a 05 Heritage Softail, he road my 05 EG Classic last year and was surprised at how easily the handled he didn't waste no time buying a 06 Ultra. Someone mentioned the Softail Deluxe, the Deluxe is a nice around town cruiser its nimble and has a very low seat height. The weight difference between the EG Classic and the Softail Deluxe is only 83 pounds, I have to say the 83 pounds is 83 pounds of comfort along with a nice faring to cut the wind when its cold and a stereo to keep you company on the long rides.

Old 02-12-2006, 06:20 PM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 154 Likes on 52 Posts

Don't forget the Softail Heritage as a one up tourer. I have a Roadglide and love it but several of my friends have the Heritages and love them. You get the windshield, saddlebags and it is very smooth. Good center of balance too.

Old 02-12-2006, 06:56 PM
JBBOOKS
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I may be in the minority, but I find the Sportster as easy to handle as the touring bikes, and more fun on the twisties!

Old 02-12-2006, 07:04 PM
Mikeeeeeeeeee
"Moderator & Connoisseur of Ice Cream"
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

For the money.................buy the EG Classic. If you are in a rainstorm, you will find that you have more protection than the Heritage Softail Classic. The only thing that the HSC has on the EGC is some people think it is a better looking bike. Not me.

Plus........I dont care how good the say a sloptail rides, you cant ever beat the ride of a touring bike. Hence the name - TOURING BIKE.

Old 02-12-2006, 07:16 PM
bay13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Time for a trip to the dealer to sit on the choices. I liked the RK custom cause of the beach bars and the lowered suspension. Plus the removable windshield I got can come off for the shorter, I want air in my face rides.

Old 02-12-2006, 07:16 PM
fembiker
Advanced

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I have considered all the models mentioned, the RK, heritage, deluxe, etc. We even rented a RK once and I liked it, but call me a whimp, I like the extra wind protection the faring offers. Msoko3, I think the Street Glide is basically identical to the EG without the tourpak trunk and a lowered rear. If I'm wrong, please let me know.
As for the sportster, Jbbooks, it is fun around town, and if I had the luxury of keeping it for tooling around, I would. But, like I said I want comfort on the long haul.

Quick Reply: movein up to touring?