General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how do you flush your brakes

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 11:57 AM
hdpearson13
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default how do you flush your brakes

i changed the pads but its time for brake fluid

Old 04-19-2008, 12:12 PM
landest
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: how do you flush your brakes

They have some new gadget's out for changing the fluid, but I do mine the old fashion way:

Rubber hose from the petcock to a pale, keep a wrench on the petcock valve, apply pressure to the peddle, crack the valve until pressure drops the peddle, add fluid to reservoir as necessary. Repeat until run clean. Top-off and close the lid....Clean up..done. Note: Keep fluid away from painted surfaces.

Hope this helps

Old 04-19-2008, 12:26 PM
hdpearson13
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

thank you just dont understand how I am going to keep the keen fluid from mixing?
thanks again

Old 04-19-2008, 12:38 PM
DeJavu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The new fluid will not mix readily with the old. You will bleed the fluid til is comes out clean from the nipple. Be sure to keep adding fluid to the resevour as you are bleeding, if you run it dry you're sucking air and must start all over again.
Use a clear tubing for a drain and you can see the difference. Like changing oil there may be a little residual in th system when you are done but it will not affect anything. When you pump the brake and release the nipple, be sure to hold the brake down until you close the nipple, otherwise you can suck up some air and have to start all over. Good Luck!

Old 04-19-2008, 12:41 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

landest missed an important step. Before releasing the pressure on the brake lever or pedal, you have to close the bleed valve, or the fluid will suck back up. Then open it again each time you squeeze the lever or step on pedal. Keep the end of the hose in the expressed fluid, so that there is no chance of sucking up an air bubble. A bottle the size of a baby food bottle works well to catch the fluid, and keep the end of the 1/4" plastic hose in.Putting a loop in the hose will also help catch any bubbles that could be expressed or sucked up. The whole proceedure works best with two people.

The fluid will mix in the resorvoir. That is why, as landest said, you do it over and over until it runs clean. Plan on using a whole bottle of brake fluid, not just the few ounces that the resorvoir holds.

Old 04-19-2008, 12:55 PM
tombeving
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While your working on the brakes, I suggest putting on speed bleeders. These bleeder valves have check valves inside. All you do in loosen the valve a quarter turn and pump the brakes. Do not need a second person. You can find these valves at www.speedbleeder. com.

Old 04-19-2008, 01:28 PM
jad
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go to your local auto parts store and buy a brake vacuum bottle. Put the fitting on your bleeder that makes an air tight seal. Take the cover off your master cylinder and remove as much of the old fluid as possible. Fill it with new fluid. Pull a vacuum on the bleeder then open it ever so slightly. As it pulls new fluid in keep the level in the master full. Be sure and not allow it to pull in air. When new fluid shows up in the vacuum bottle you’re done. Repeat for the other brake.

[IMG]local://upfiles/47469/95B360C86C5A4808A28786C9C399F3C1.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-19-2008, 01:35 PM
bobbyd3
Tourer

I was waiting for a second person to do my brakes, it seems like your going to need some gymnast moves to hold the brake pedal down and close the valve. At least on my heritage classic, but I am going to see if its possible to reach both for the hell of it.

Old 04-19-2008, 01:37 PM
landest
Road Warrior

Yep, thats right "you have to close the bleed valve, or the fluid will suck back up." missed saying that... good catch.

Old 04-19-2008, 01:46 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

Thanks for the link on the speed bleeder. Looks like the ticket if you are alone. You can also get a one way valve that goes in the plastic hose from several sources

Quick Reply: how do you flush your brakes