General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding in the desert

Old 04-24-2008, 11:50 AM
supernova
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Riding in the desert

Do you have any suggestions or extra considerations for riding in the desert? I'm planning a ride out to New Mexico, Arizona, Utah and Colorado in May.

Old 04-24-2008, 12:28 PM
EasternSP
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21,781 Likes on 8,392 Posts
Default RE: Riding in the desert

Use lip balm, sunscreen and drink pleanty of water before the ride begins. The heat will draw the water out of ya without you even knowing it until you feel light headed and your lips are chapped. Avoide caffenated drinks, i.e. soda, coffee and beer. The caffein will keep ya from absorbing the water.

Old 04-24-2008, 12:36 PM
mimo
Extreme HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Long sleeve at all costs, Sunscreen, water, water and more water (I ran out of water once and the cramps were all over me)... Better than water yet, Gatorade or your own home-made mix (1 lt. of water wit a table spoon of salt and a table spoon of sugar)

Did I mentioned loooong sleeves??? My farmer´s tan lasted for two years (got second degree burnts in my arms)...

Mimo.

Old 04-24-2008, 12:37 PM
EasternSP
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21,781 Likes on 8,392 Posts

Use lip balm, sunscreen, sunglassesand drink pleanty of water before you start your ride and at every break. Avoid drinking caffeinated drinks, i.e. soda and coffee, they will dehydrate ya. Carry extra water with ya in case of a break down.

Old 04-24-2008, 12:39 PM
Gart
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No matter what the temperature is, at a minimum, ride with a long sleeved, light colored, t-shirt. This will help the drying effect of the temp, dry air and the wind.

Old 04-24-2008, 12:44 PM
1200babe
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

best desert riding investment I have made is one of the evaporative cooling vests- you soak it in water and wear it over your t shirt under a mesh jacket- the air flow keeps your core body temp way down and you ride much more comfy and can go longer distances without feeling fried. I love mine! If you don't have one of those available at least get the cool neck from your local wally world sports sectionand wear it- I have also soaked my dew rag every time I stop or break or gas. ( but on any of those soaker items- do NOT soak them in ice water or try to freeze them- if they are too cold- you will get a major headache.)

Old 04-24-2008, 07:04 PM
wyld3
Advanced

Drink lots of water. You can carry "squencers" an electrolite packet that you can add to a bottle of water to keep electrolites up. Extra wipes for hands and shades. Awfully sweaty. Dont want to get caught with smeared vision. Maybe some saltines. Youll lose alot of salt sweatin. Oh yeah, coat the groan in shower to shower to prevent swamp ***.

Old 04-24-2008, 07:14 PM
outdoorgirl57
Road Master

I have a camel back that I put in a tank bag. That way I can take a drink on the fly. Cooldanas are also nice. (A bandana with gel in it that you can hydrate and the evaporation keeps your neck cool.)

Just be forewarned that you can still get snow in May in Colorado and Utah. Was in Co. last year over Memorial Day and got snowed on. Fortunately it was slushy snow. I'm heading to Utah this Memorial Day...so you can bet it will snow there this year!

Old 04-24-2008, 09:48 PM
landest
Road Warrior

+ Bring something to stay warm with you. Desert can get cold at night \ early morning in May.

Old 04-24-2008, 10:00 PM
Sportshot
Cruiser

Plan your ride so you get most of your miles in before noon, that way when it gets really hot you don't have far to go and you can stop more often.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Riding in the desert