General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Route Durango to Grand Canyon?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 09:05 PM
flakdog
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Route Durango to Grand Canyon?

Planning my trip. On my maps it looks like the shortest route is Hwy 160. About 300miles. Doesn't look like much between Cortez and Canyon City. Fuel? If any of you have been that way I would appreciate the help. My trip will originate in North Texas - Santa Fe - Durango etc.

Thanks

FD

Old 05-07-2008, 11:02 PM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts
Default RE: Best Route Durango to Grand Canyon?

I'm totally confused. Canon City is east of Durango and the Grand Canyon is west of Durango. The title of your thread is in a completely different direction than your questions.

But...if you want to go west from Durango send a PM to Bill Nourse here on the forum. He lives just south of Durango and rides the heck out of that country.

On the other hand theres a LOT to see between Durango and Canon City.

Old 05-11-2008, 10:06 PM
flakdog
Road Captain

Sorry Whiskers, I said Canyon City, not Canon City. I should have said Grand Canyon to avoid the confusion. It just looks kinda barren on 160 West of the 4 corners region. Was wondering if fuel would be available.

FD

Old 05-11-2008, 10:32 PM
AzDon
Tourer

There is a whole lotta nothin out there, but it IS the most direct route from Durango to Flagstaff. I went across there about two years ago and I believe that Kayenta had full services (if that helps). Went from Durango to Flag without fuel being a problem... but I was in a car! Harley dealers in Durango, Farmington, and Flag (Bellemont, Az) might be able to help. Should be a nice ride!

Old 05-11-2008, 11:31 PM
rnothog
Tourer

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Try this...you'll have to look up the highway numbers yourself:

Durango to Cortez...then head off SW towards 4 Corners but before you get there turn off north towards Bluff, Utah. Between Bluff and Mexican Hat, Utah stop at Goosenecks National Monument. Then from Mexican Hat head to Monument Valley and then Kayenta, Arizona.

From Kayenta to Tuba City, continue west to US 89, then south to turn off for Grand Canyon near Cameron AZ.

Done this a zillion times. Never paid attention to the numbers!

This is not the most direct route - adds about 2 hours or so between 4 Corners and Kayenta, but you'll see a lot more.

If direct is what you want, head to Tec Nos Pos instead of turning off for Bluff.

Check the map and you'll see what I mean.

It is a bit empty...longest stretch without gas is probably between Cortez and Tec Nos Pos - maybe 65 miles? Then onto Kayenta another 65 or 70 milesif you go direct.

If in Durango DO NOT MISS Durango-Silverton-Ouray-Telluride-Dolores-Mancos-Durango loop.

Old 05-12-2008, 01:26 AM
doc_cj
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: rnothog

Try this...you'll have to look up the highway numbers yourself:

Durango to Cortez...then head off SW towards 4 Corners but before you get there turn off north towards Bluff, Utah. Between Bluff and Mexican Hat, Utah stop at Goosenecks National Monument.
rnothog has the route down for you. The attraction in that part of the world is not the towns but the scenery. I'd say you'll enjoy the trip more if you stay off 160 in northern Arizona and swing back north on 262 toward Bluff and Mexican Hat. From Mexican Hat you can get to Goosenecks State Park, Muley Point Overlook and the Valley of the Gods (all within about 15 miles). You will also be right along the San Juan River as you ride along 262.

Then from Mexican Hat head to Monument Valley and then Kayenta, Arizona.

From Kayenta to Tuba City, continue west to US 89, then south to turn off for Grand Canyon near Cameron AZ.
I will actually be on this route starting Tuesday morning. I'm riding with a group heading for Sedona, AZ, and we'll run 89 around the Canyon. Probably stop at the south rim on the way back as well.

Old 05-12-2008, 07:34 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Stop in Camron for the Navajo Taco. This is some great eating. Visit Goulding's Trading Post in Monument Valley. Lot of movie history here. See the Navajo Code Talkers display at the McDonalds in Kayenta.

Bill

Old 05-12-2008, 07:53 AM
baldjohnny
Cruiser

Been that route a lot of times, gas is available along the way as long as you don't try and push it to another "close" station. Like mentioned above, not much out there as far as habitation, I always made Tuba City a stop for fuel. Beautiful country, watch out for the reservation police though. The wide open country makes it easy to move right along, but have seen a number of their cruisers out and about. One other thing to watch out for... dust devils! Had one "chase" me for a number of miles, seemed more like a tornado, but knew what ever it was I didn't want to be in the middle of it.

Sounds like you're gonna have a nice trip, that Durango area is hard to beat for scenery. Hell, if you have the time and are that close, swing down and hit the Sedona loop, very nice.

Old 05-12-2008, 10:22 AM
classof96
Tourer
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

I'll second Rnothog, Monument valley, Mexican Hat, and Gooseneck Canyon,(Got married there) it's more real then the Grandimo.

Old 05-12-2008, 11:41 AM
Paniolo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Last year I did the 160 from Durango to Flagstaff on my way back to Los Angeles. No problems finding fuel, but like others have said not to scenic. This year I will take the 163-262 like doj_cj suggested.

Bill Nourse, I'll be in and around Durango with a buddy of mine around the first week of August. We'll be using it as our home base for day trips. Any chance you might be able to join us?

Mark

Quick Reply: Best Route Durango to Grand Canyon?