General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Average miles per year for motorcycles...

Old 05-08-2008, 08:45 PM
questor
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Average miles per year for motorcycles...

Kelley Blue Book[/align][/align]What is the average yearly mileage for a motorcycle?[/align][/align]Obviously mileage will vary from year to year and model to model. A simple guide could be to consider the type of bike you are looking at: If the bike is a sportbike 600 c.c. to 999 c.c., and since these bikes are traditionally weekend only bikes, you can expect to see lower miles, about 3,000 miles per year. Tourers or Sport Tourers usually see a lot of miles, but these are generally freeway miles, between 5,000 to 6,000 miles per year. [/align][/align]http://www.kbb.com/KBB/CompanyInfo/MotorcycleFAQ.aspx[/align][/align][/align]

Old 05-08-2008, 08:57 PM
georgiabiker
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have buddies who still have not had the 5k service and they have had their bikes for over 2 years. I am averaging around 7000-8000 per year as a daily driver.

Old 05-08-2008, 09:17 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Like others have said, the miles ridden each year can be extreme depending on many factors.

Over the years I've averaged between 20,000 to 25,000 each year on my bikes, but I also see bikes that average less than 1,000 miles a year.

Just depends.

Old 05-08-2008, 09:25 PM
Keystone
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Question wasn't what your average was. It was: Question is how many miles per year is the average for motorcycles. As in ALL motorcycles. For bikes over 750cc (All Harleys) it's 5700 miles per year. Take all the motorcycles in the US, add up all of the miles then devide by the number of motorcycles. That's why it's called an average, and it doesn't "vary" . Individual use may, but average won't.

Old 05-08-2008, 09:42 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Myself or anyone I know have never submitted a questionaire to any agency at the end of any year which stated the number of miles we rode on any bike we own (no matter what the engine size).

That being the case, how can anyone come up with an "average annual mileage" for all bikes over a set engine size...

Like anything else, it's just a "guess", or random sampling, unless all owners of bikes with more that 750cc submit annual mileage figures to be used in the calculation.

Old 05-08-2008, 09:47 PM
straitshot151
Tourer

12-14 thousand.I take mostly road trips 3or 4 times a year

Old 05-08-2008, 10:19 PM
BROWNDOG
Cruiser

For me, it should be around 4k-5k per year but with this lousy-*** weather this year so far, it'll probably be less.

Old 05-08-2008, 10:24 PM
fly_by_day
Cruiser

10,000 or so, but i have only 6 months of ride time a year

Old 05-09-2008, 12:17 AM
italian biker
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Sad to say, with my new bike bought in 06, Early April, the beginning of riding season for me here in NW Ohio, I've only averaged 2k a year. My fiance and I work at the same place, so we drive together, and since we work in business atmosphere, she doesn't want to have to redo her hair, after the ride. Plus, I work in the down town area, heavy traffic, and have to park in a parking garage, that isn't motorcycle friendly. I've bitched and moaned to them about designating bike only parking, but they refuse. Plus, come early October, it's bow season.

Old 05-09-2008, 07:32 AM
Bluzmn59
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any "average" is a bullshit figure unless regional differences are taken into account. You aren't doing much riding in MN in December through February, but down here in GA I probably rode between 5k and 8k during the winter. Motorcycle insurance policies used to take that into account as well - does anybody remember the 9/12 coverage?

Bottom line is, if you are looking for a used bike, shop around and you will find some nice rides with extremely low mileage.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Average miles per year for motorcycles...