General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passenger in Billy Lane DUI Case Files Civil Law Suit

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 10:05 PM
dynamike74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Passenger in Billy Lane DUI Case Files Civil Law Suit

http://www.brainbucketmag.com/News/a.../sid=3694.html

Quiet passenger of Billy Lane DUI crash files suit against him

Florida - Erin Derrick, the female passenger that was with Billy Lane on the night of the crash that took the life of Gerald Morelock and injured Derrick has filed civil suit against Lane and Chrysler for Auto Negligence. Lane and Dodge reached a settlement with the family of the victim last year, but are still waiting for justice in the criminal case. This is breaking news just discovered and the actual summons has not even been returned yet.

Lane is scheduled for a hearing today at 1:30 pm in the criminal case where he is still facing charges of DUI Manslaughter.

More on this story as it unfolds.

This article contributed by MrMNO on Friday, May 16, 2008 (15:34:35)

Old 05-19-2008, 10:07 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,757 Likes on 771 Posts
Default RE: Passenger in Billy Lane DUI Case Files Civil Law Suit

How would the vehicle manufacturer be in any way liable in a DUI case???

Cheers!
[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 05-19-2008, 10:36 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

Dodge provided the truck to Billy for promotional purposes. They gave a truck to a known drunk. they are in a poor position in any law suit.

[IMG]local://upfiles/49894/253476633BB94881A443D717D0565327.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-19-2008, 11:16 PM
grimreaper169
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: lh4x4

Dodge provided the truck to Billy for promotional purposes. They gave a truck to a known drunk. they are in a poor position in any law suit.

That is why dodge, featherlite, snaponand others were there the next morning picking up their stuff. They pulled his truck to the yard accross from our shop and it was messed up bad... Hope he gets what is comming to him but he has a high$$$ lawyer and will probably get off with a slap on the wrist.

Never does one fly so high that one day he must land

Old 05-19-2008, 11:21 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,757 Likes on 771 Posts

Oh, I didn't know that. Thanks for the info.

Cheers!
[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 05-21-2008, 02:58 PM
swordy
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

thats a stupid law????can you sue the bloke who made the bullet when someone gets shot by it!

Old 05-21-2008, 03:59 PM
TwiggyAZ
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Billy Lane’s new criminal attorney, Gregory Eisenmenger was present at the 4:15 pm hearing in the civil case filed against Billy Lane and DaimlerChrysler for the wrongful death of Gerald Morelock. Mr. Eisenmenger announced to the court that he was sitting in today because “ today’s hearing touches on advice I have given my client in the criminal case” and “I am here to help answer questions and advise”.

In fact, no questions were answered. The reason for today’s hearing was whether the questions would be answered or not. Also present today, by telephone, Sammy Cacciatore andSam Cacciatore for plaintiff Dolores Morelock and Jefferey Vernis for Billy Lane. William McCandless, attorney for DaimlerChrysler was on the conference call as well.

Attorney Sam Cacciatore, filed a requestfor admissions with the court, asking Billy Lane to answer questions that could shorten the civil hearing time in court. Billy Lane’s civil and criminal attorneys agreed that it was in Billy Lane’s best interest to invoke the 5th amendment and not answer the questions because the criminal trial for DUI Manslaughter against Lane was still on-going. Questions pertaining to venue, such as time, date and place were under objection. Criminal attorney Eisenmenger stated that it was up to the State of Florida to prove that the crash happened, adding that they must also prove where and when, along with the identity of the deceadant, Gerald Morelock in the criminal case against Lane. Eisenmenger later added that answering these questions could be extremely damaging to his client with the criminal charges still pending.

Most of the objections to the questions were sustained by Judge Moxley, as they were read to the court one by one. These questions will all be presented in a later article here on this blog. Judge Moxley did overrule on a few of the objectionable questions. Cacciatore had requested that Billy Lane produce all documents pertaining to any type of lease agreement that he had with Dodge for the Dodge Ram pickup that he was driving the night of the crash. In response, civil attorney Vernis stated that there was no written agreement between Dodge and Billy Lane for the promotional vehicles that Lane had in his possession and control. Vernis called the question very broad for the plaintiffs to ask for any and all documents.

Objections were heard from both of Billy Lane’s attorneys when questions were asked about Erin Derrick, the female passenger with Billy Lane on the night of the crash. Attorney Sam Cacciatore said “ we have no idea what the relationship was” between Billy Lane and Erin Derrick. Eisenmenger, said that Ms. Derrick could be a link in the chain of evidence for the criminal case and had advised Lane not to answer. It was determined by the court that Lane would have to answer the question regarding his driving history by listing all traffic citations prior to the Labor Day crash. I asked attorney Greg Eisenmenger how he felt about the decisions. Eisenmenger stated “ I think the judge ruled appropriately in all respects.

[URL=http://www.mikeodom.name/2007/03/19/billy-lanes-ci

Old 05-21-2008, 05:57 PM
laz
Extreme HDF Member

Received 9,612 Likes on 3,434 Posts

And of course Dodge has deep pockets. I doubt I'd be getting sued if I was the one who provided him the truck.

Old 05-21-2008, 07:46 PM
fishheadsaid
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

ORIGINAL: laz263

And of course Dodge has deep pockets. I doubt I'd be getting sued if I was the one who provided him the truck.
Florida used to be a "joint and severable liability" state, however we had tort reform legislationin 2006 whichdidaway withthis form oflawyer abuse. So called "deep pockets" lawsuits.

That said, Dodge shouldonly be responsible to the degree they were negligent and not have to make up what Billy Lane can't pay.

Old 05-21-2008, 09:35 PM
Medicfrost
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

That reminds me of this lawsuit:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/htmlConte...20/wiri20.html

Quick Reply: Passenger in Billy Lane DUI Case Files Civil Law Suit