General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motorcycle Patches

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 12:39 AM
LVRider
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motorcycle Patches

I have purchased several patches for my vest I wear in the summer. I am curious if there is a wrong or right way to wear them. I know there is an element that may hassle someone they percieve to be disrespecting them with the way they are worn. Mine are mostly supporting the military, as i did my time in the USN.

I was just wondering if any of you have had trouble with your patches.

Old 05-23-2008, 12:45 AM
LVRider
Intermediate
Default RE: Motorcycle Patches

I'm thinking of Making my own for me, my brother and my dad. kind of a 'Wild Hogs' thing, except my wife isn't sewing it for me. lol I know in LV, we have a biker commision that registers MC Clubs. Does anyone else have this type of thing in your area.

Old 05-23-2008, 01:01 AM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

If you do a search you'll find some topics with various military patches worn on a vest, and opinions of what individuals feel is 'correct' to wear.

You mentioned that you were in the Navy, and most of the patches you have are 'military support patches'.

I'm not sure if you mean the patches you intend to wear are directly related to your time in service (various assignments, campaigns, etc.), or if the support patches mentioned might also reference other branches of the military in which you did not serve.

I'm sure many will disagree, but I believe that a person should only wear military patches that were earned, and relate to your various assignments and campaigns during your time in service.

Or if you are just talking about placement of patches, it's more or less anything goes with the exception that nothing should be placed above (higher up on the vest) than an American Flag patch, if you are wearing one.

Just my opinion..

Old 05-23-2008, 01:15 AM
Lincoln33
Outstanding HDF Member

MCshavediffering patch etiquette but there's really no hard fast rules. I'm sure you know not to put anything above the American flag, it's always on top.

Old 05-23-2008, 01:27 AM
bgkv77
Cruiser

I'm sure many will disagree, but I believe that a person should only wear military patches that were earned, and relate to your various assignments and campaigns during your time in service.
Do you mean to include military support patches, like "support our troops" Or just the patches that state a branch. Was always curious about the POW stuff. Only for POW's or to be worn in support of??

Old 05-23-2008, 01:30 AM
evilmonkey
Cruiser

Old Fender Guy, has it right. There is a Coalition of Clubs "COC" in most states and a National COC. They are the ones that normally deal with Motorcycle Clubs and the Patches that are on the back of a vest. Do some research on that if thats what you want to do. Just having patches on your vest are okay. Like Fender Guy said it should be about you and who you are and what you believe in. My original vest has Parachute club patches, LE patches, Unit Patches and a CIB along with the VN Campaign ribbon. Flag is always the highest Patch.

Old 05-23-2008, 07:28 AM
Bluzmn59
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: bgkv77

Do you mean to include military support patches, like "support our troops" Or just the patches that state a branch. Was always curious about the POW stuff. Only for POW's or to be worn in support of??
POW/MIA is to be worn in support of, not just for POW's themselves. My uncle was in a **** POW camp for over two years and went through hell. I wear the patch and fly the flag in his honor (he died last year at the ripe old age of 92).

Old 05-23-2008, 08:07 AM
Flying Horse
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Be careful of wearing any Rockers especially on your back,some MC's could intepret it as an infringement on them.

Old 05-23-2008, 08:34 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Been around MCs off and on for the better part of 35 yrs.
BASIC (not hard, fast rules), most conflicts(hassles) stem from 3 piece patches. Club patch in center, top and bottom rockers, with a state patch to one side or corner. (READ that TERRITORY)Also the color of the patch. DO NOT wear a red/white patch into a black/white territory, you are asking for a headache or a sore behind. IT IS MY OPINION, the HA's here, are much more lenient towards others patches than the Outlaws next door in Wi.
We had a thread earlier this year, and riding with the PGR, we were instructed NOT to wear 3 piece PGR patches into Iowa, they were NOT sanctioned there. That has been slightly clarified to one patch.
I know, it sounds confusing, and prob'ly is, but to coin the old, worn, and feeble statement, "It is what it is", and has been that way for over 60 yrs.
The Iowa situation, is the first time I have ever heard of any military patch being looked down on.
You should have a State Coalition that you can access online, or check around, there are no doubt, club members who are willing to clarify for you. If they seem a little miffed, just look for another. Most are pretty level headed and up front. In 43 yrs, have NEVER had a problem with an MC over patches. But again, just watch the 3 piece and the color.
MC's pride themselves on FREEDOM, who better to represent FREEDOM than present and ex military,MCs may not advertise that, but they are more cognizant of it, than most of the rest of the citizenry.
I personally have not experienced it, yet, but there has been bad blood between Mn(HAs) and Wi(Outlaws) for years. I have heard this year, that the Outlaws (Wi) have even begun to isolate or distinguish if you have a Mn license plate on the scoot. Again, I have not experienced this, but have heard it numerous places this year. WTF, Chuck?

Old 05-23-2008, 09:36 PM
LVRider
Intermediate

Thanks for the info guys,I will keep it in mind. My military patches are just 3" circles with each branch on the to show support for the troops. I have a 7" patch with an Eagle and a small symbol of each branch I may decide to use.

If and when I stop procrastinating, I will post a pic of my idea.

Quick Reply: Motorcycle Patches