General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My "reserve" point has moved !!

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 11:38 AM
johndeere58
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My "reserve" point has moved !!

If anyone can explain this to me I would really appreciate it. Recently I'm having to switch to reserve at about 125 miles rather than the normal 175/180 miles that I was. I've checked my milage and that hasn't changed and I also am putting about 3 gallons in my 4.3 gal tank when I fill it after hitting reserve. It seems that I now have 1.3 gal of reserve all of a sudden rather than the previous 1/2 gal.I've changed nothing. It just appears that the point of "reserve" has.......moved! Any ideas???? Thanx. Scott

Old 05-27-2008, 12:45 PM
cjhumphrey
Cruiser
Default RE: My "reserve" point has moved !!

The screen filteron the main fuel pickup in the tank may be clogged at the lowest part. That would prevent the carb from picking up fuel at a higher level than designed and thus forcing you to switch over to reserve which pulls from the bottom of the tank. I'd pull the petcock and pickup screens and see if they need cleaning.

Old 05-27-2008, 01:01 PM
johndeere58
Advanced

Thanx.....Will do.............Scott

Old 05-27-2008, 01:03 PM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: johndeere58

If anyone can explain this to me I would really appreciate it. Recently I'm having to switch to reserve at about 125 miles rather than the normal 175/180 miles that I was. I've checked my milage and that hasn't changed and I also am putting about 3 gallons in my 4.3 gal tank when I fill it after hitting reserve. It seems that I now have 1.3 gal of reserve all of a sudden rather than the previous 1/2 gal.I've changed nothing. It just appears that the point of "reserve" has.......moved! Any ideas???? Thanx. Scott
Normal reserve amount for most bikes is about one gallon. Not sure what would change it to that direction of gaining reserve fuel from 1/2 to 1.3 gallons ,, at least this way when you go on reserve it's to the plus side for you on the amount of miles you can go on reserve.

The mileage amount you state is normal for either amount of fuel left in the tank at reserve is why you are having to fuel at 125 with 1.3 gallons of reserve left.

Old 05-27-2008, 01:05 PM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: cjhumphrey

The screen filteron the main fuel pickup in the tank may be clogged at the lowest part. That would prevent the carb from picking up fuel at a higher level than designed and thus forcing you to switch over to reserve which pulls from the bottom of the tank. I'd pull the petcock and pickup screens and see if they need cleaning.
And my 'outlaws' OOPs inlaws (Ga.) said 'those ppl' "up" in N.C. didn't know anything. Poo poo to them. Good first check.

Old 05-27-2008, 01:10 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Partial clogged screen would be my guess too unless you have changed the angle of the tank. My 98 wideglide stumbles around 133/ 135 miles and has to go to reserve. That always leaves well over a gallon in the tank. Been like that since new so I assume that is normal. I installed new stock petcock and filter screen about two years ago due to diaphragm leak. Didn't change reserve switchover point. I am amazed at how much crap manages to get into the tanks from fuel and tank itself.

Old 05-27-2008, 01:19 PM
cjhumphrey
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Da Gumpmeister

ORIGINAL: cjhumphrey

And my 'outlaws' OOPs inlaws (Ga.) said 'those ppl' "up" in N.C. didn't know anything. Poo poo to them. Good first check.
Well, we do what we can...