General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Pipes for Road KIng

Old 05-28-2008, 10:13 PM
stubby0032
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Pipes for Road KIng

Ok, just picked up my new 08 Road King Classic. Nice ride, but a fan makes louder sounds. So my question is, any ideas on best pipes for her? I mean as in louder. Slip on's vs full pipes? Just from a safety standpoint. Louder is def better.

Old 05-28-2008, 10:22 PM
UncleDon
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Best Pipes for Road KIng

Vance & Hines, Rhineharts, Screamin Eagle, just don't get the fish tails,,fugly

Old 05-28-2008, 10:25 PM
BadBoyFLSTC
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bassani Slip-Ons

Old 05-28-2008, 10:26 PM
itileman
Outstanding HDF Member

I'm planning on putting some 2-1's on to the 03 RK I'm getting. Have the V&H 2-1 Pro Pipes on my Dyna now - great sound, great performance.

Old 05-28-2008, 11:24 PM
pwp
Cruiser
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't know what would make a certain pipe be called "the best" one. I think one could quantify the loudest pipe. Or maybe the most expensive, or the one that increases horsepower the most.

Anyway, I have Screamin' Eagle pipes on my '02 RKC. I love 'em. They sound really great and are quite loud, but are definitely not the loudest pipes that I've heard on a Road King.

I'm in complete agreement with Uncle Don's advice: Vance & Hines, Rhineharts, or Screamin Eagle. No fish tails!

----

Sorry Stubby0032, I just re-read your original post and noticed that you did in fact say you wanted the best "loud" pipe. Don't know the answer to that, but a guy I rode with last week, had V&H on his RK, and his was noticably louder than my SE pipes. Good luck in your search.

Old 05-28-2008, 11:43 PM
UncleDon
Banned

Too bad HD doesn't put on "louder pipes" as stock equipment. Wonder how many stock pipes ended up in the dumpster? An Electric Glide drove through town today and I though it was a Honda(it sounded like one) Harleys need to sound like Harleys

Old 05-29-2008, 12:16 AM
pwp
Cruiser
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

You got that right, Uncle D... I'm sure there is some stupid legal reasons that require H-D to neuter their stock bikes to remain in compliance with something or other. And yet virtually nobody keeps those stock pipes on their hogs. (In my circles, I don't know of anybody with stock pipes.) What a waste.

Old 05-29-2008, 11:26 AM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: pwp

You got that right, Uncle D... I'm sure there is some stupid legal reasons that require H-D to neuter their stock bikes to remain in compliance with something or other. And yet virtually nobody keeps those stock pipes on their hogs. (In my circles, I don't know of anybody with stock pipes.) What a waste.
Laws is laws and made to be broken! [8D] The bikes run lean to meet a 14.7 AFR for emissions by stifling the intake and exhaust. In addition, the exhaust has to meet a certain requirement for dba at a given distance. So, yeah, first thing everybody does is strip off the restriction and make it run like it could. That said, we wll know the sound and the best pipe is a matter of personal taste. I run Rush 2.25" and honestly, I don't find them loud at all. I can set off car alarms with my shovel, usually at just over idle. The only time I hear the RK is throttle crankin' and then it's behind me, so it's still faint to me.

Old 05-29-2008, 11:37 AM
wdg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i like the vance and hines true duals with the ovals sound great

Old 05-29-2008, 11:38 AM
barkster99
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do the whole package with Fuel Moto - K&N AC, PCIII, and Rush with the custom baffles. Great sound, great performance.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best Pipes for Road KIng