General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any tips for a more comfortablel ride in the rain?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 06:29 AM
RazorFXDB
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any tips for a more comfortablel ride in the rain?

I'm leaving this afternoon for a 250 mile ride.&nbsp\\; The weather looks like rain the whole way, at times heavy with possible thunder storms.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
IF you've got some advice on how to make a wet ride even a bit more comfortable, I'd love to hear it.
&nbsp\\;
Thanks,
&nbsp\\;
Ray.

Old 06-27-2008, 06:45 AM
Mandog
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Any tips for a more comfortablel ride in the rain?

ORIGINAL: RazorFXDB

I'm leaving this afternoon for a 250 mile ride.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; The weather looks like rain the whole way, at times heavy with possible thunder storms.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
IF you've got some advice on how to make a wet ride even a bit more comfortable, I'd love to hear it.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
Thanks,
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
Ray.
&nbsp\\;
Sure...Get an Ultra Glide
&nbsp\\;
At the very least a detachable windsheild, rain suit and rain gators for your boots. Those 21 inch front ends throw alot of water back at you. Night and day between my Ultra and my Wide Glide

Old 06-27-2008, 06:52 AM
Sam
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends on what you like as far as equipment.....a good rain suit will help (but some riders find them bulky &amp\\; would rather go without one) - a full face helmet will stop the rain from feeling like needles in your face (but you always have to wipe that damn shield off). The only thing I would tell someone to get for sure\\; is a pair of tight fitting/waterproof/nonslip gloves from a good hardware store (in our case, I'd try Marks Work Wearhouse, you can also get a tight fitting rain suit from them). I've got an old pair of waterproof gloves in my saddlebags and they make quite a difference.
&nbsp\\;
One other thing, if the rain gets too heavy............"Get the hell off the road, it isn't worth it"&nbsp\\;

Old 06-27-2008, 06:59 AM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Take off the apes and put the stock bars back on. Add a windshield so you can hunker down. Oh wait, just take the cage.

Old 06-27-2008, 07:04 AM
Gaffy52
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: JBaker421

Take off the apes and put the stock bars back on. Add a windshield so you can hunker down. Oh wait, just take the cage.
&nbsp\\;
Take the cage and the bike on a trailer maybe.............

Old 06-27-2008, 07:06 AM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

How about a full wet suit?

Seriously, a full face will help. I only have to wipe my visor when going slow. Good rain gloves (with a thumb squeegee) are a must.

Staying warm is an issue in the rain: even if air temp is warm riding along at highway speed in the rain won't be. Good boots with a gore tex barrier in the liner will be a big help, though without rain pants, water will just drip down your legs from your rain-soaked jeans and get inside your boots.

So, yeah, for serious distances, you should have the whole get-up. For shorter distances you can compromise.

Old 06-27-2008, 07:10 AM
Scooter Wench
Road Captain

I just bought a good fitting rainsuit from Harley.&nbsp\\; Expensive yes, but well worth the investment.&nbsp\\; I had FrogToggs before and they kept getting burned on my pipes and they were hot.&nbsp\\; I also purchased one of those scarves that wrap around the face to keep the pins and needle off the lower part of my face (I hate full helmets), as mentioned before good waterproof gloves, maybe add the raingear that covers your boots as those will be drenched and some good googles that don't fog up.&nbsp\\; Oh and a change of clothes.

And like they said, if it gets too heavy, pull over.&nbsp\\; It won't last forever and if cages find it hard to see us in clear weather, it's practically impossible in the rain, not to mention deep water on the roadway.&nbsp\\; It's just not safe.

Old 06-27-2008, 07:12 AM
scarnay
Road Master

Tractor trailers kick up a lot of water. Get some glasses with yellow or amber lenses. They do help in the rain. Take an extra t-shirt to change into at your next gas stop. I noticed my jacket started dripping inside at the collar. It gets cold pretty quick. An extra change of&nbsp\\;gloves help too. Watch the traffic above you at overpasses. Sometimes water pools up on the overpass and when a car above you hits it, it may all come down on you and scare the living $h!+ out of you. One more thing, watch the cagers coming up behind you. Sometimes they have a hard time seeing too.

Old 06-27-2008, 08:01 AM
RazorFXDB
Tourer

THanks for all the replies.
&nbsp\\;
I picked up a rainsuit this morning.&nbsp\\; Nothing like waiting until the last minute.
&nbsp\\;
I've got yellow glasses, so I'll give them a try.&nbsp\\; No full face, so I'll have to suffer that one out.
&nbsp\\;
My feet may be a problem.&nbsp\\; I've got some pretty good nike boots, where the tongue is attached to the boot, to give a good seal.&nbsp\\; Not sure if they're 100% waterproof, but they're the best I've got.
&nbsp\\;
Hopefully It'll slow down a bit and not be so bad.&nbsp\\; I'll take an extra shirt or two as well.&nbsp\\; My girl is gonna be joining me.&nbsp\\; I'm a little worried about how she'll handle the weather.&nbsp\\; We'll see.
&nbsp\\;
Thanks again,
&nbsp\\;
RAy.

Old 06-27-2008, 08:04 AM
pscheval
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

when you get home, go on ebay and get some boot covers... not real expensive, and will keep your feet dry.I got mine for about $15 delivered

Quick Reply: Any tips for a more comfortablel ride in the rain?