General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RANT ABOUT MAUI JIM JUNK

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 11:30 AM
cray49a
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RANT ABOUT MAUI JIM JUNK

I was riding to the store yesterday and was wearing my Maui Jims (I posted a moNth or so ago about them not being very strudy&nbsp\\;for riding), anyway, I'm puttin' down the road.&nbsp\\; Cars entering from side streets - the normal BS.&nbsp\\; I'm coming up to a cage that pulls out in front of me from my right, I on the fornt and back&nbsp\\;brake pretty hard (but not quite skidding) and the fKn right lense on my gd Maui Jim piece of SHT sunglasses flops down hanging half way in my line of sight and half way out.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;It was like having my eyes crossed!&nbsp\\; Keep in mind that I am braking&nbsp\\;fairly hard trying to avoid an accident at the same exact&nbsp\\;time!&nbsp\\; I know - sht happens like that.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
ANYWAY,&nbsp\\; I email Maui Jim the following email text.&nbsp\\; LET'S SEE HOW THEY HANDLE IT!
&nbsp\\;
Maui Jim\\;
&nbsp\\;
I paid over $300 for a pair of your sunglasses because I believed that I was purchasing quaility.&nbsp\\; The lenses&nbsp\\;are very good, however, the mechanisms&nbsp\\;of the frame&nbsp\\;are definately the worst&nbsp\\;I have ever owned or experienced.&nbsp\\; They are far too delicate for&nbsp\\;real life&nbsp\\;and have fallen apart (literally) on more than&nbsp\\;six occassions.&nbsp\\; I fix them when I can.&nbsp\\;I have had them repaired by you&nbsp\\;three or four times.&nbsp\\; The last repair was in May.&nbsp\\; It's only June and they have fallen apart again.&nbsp\\; (The nuts holding on the lenses fall&nbsp\\;off and the lenses come loose and or fall off too).&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;This time it nearly&nbsp\\;caused me a motorcycle&nbsp\\;accident.&nbsp\\; I am not going to send them in for repair&nbsp\\;just to have the same frustrating result.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;I am on several motorcycle internet forums.&nbsp\\; All of the riders wear sunglasses.&nbsp\\; Many wear Maui Jims.&nbsp\\; I would hope you handle this&nbsp\\;matter in a professional manner.&nbsp\\; The people on the forum&nbsp\\;hang pretty tight when it comes to equipment and companies that do not give us our monies worth.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;

Old 06-28-2008, 12:31 PM
wiseguy2day
Road Master
Default RE: RANT ABOUT MAUI JIM JUNK

Nice email. Please keep us updated.&nbsp\\;

Old 06-28-2008, 12:37 PM
cray49a
Road Master

You wear them?&nbsp\\; Really pissed me off.&nbsp\\; No response so far.

Old 06-28-2008, 12:40 PM
hdstreetglide08
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been wearing the same pair of Maui Jim's for 12 years and they are still as good as the day I bought them.&nbsp\\; I wear them on the MC, 4 wheeling in the jeep with no windshield, and in the boat.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; I don't know which style you bought but if it is the titanium's they are made for looks not for activities like ridng a bike.&nbsp\\; I also have a pair of these and ONLY wear them in the cage.........

Old 06-28-2008, 12:42 PM
sleepman54
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I can understand your anger over the quality of the product, however it has been my experience that veiled threats at being able to affect someones business generally do very little to motivate. The calm rational manner usually goes a lot further. Personally I've never paid over $20 for a pair of sunglasses cause I quite simply can't take care of them. I drop them, I toss them in my saddlebags to get scratched, I loss them etc. etc...&nbsp\\;

Old 06-28-2008, 12:52 PM
sldavis
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: sleepman54

I can understand your anger over the quality of the product, however it has been my experience that veiled threats at being able to affect someones business generally do very little to motivate. The calm rational manner usually goes a lot further. Personally I've never paid over $20 for a pair of sunglasses cause I quite simply can't take care of them. I drop them, I toss them in my saddlebags to get scratched, I loss them etc. etc...&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
+1
Being an uninvolved reader, the first thing I thought when I read your email was that if I had received it, it would have pissed me off. You get more flies with honey than you do vinegar. If you had written them in the past and not gotten satisfaction then that would be one thing, but to threaten them in your first correspondence about the issue seems not the best idea

Old 06-28-2008, 12:52 PM
cray49a
Road Master

They are titanium.&nbsp\\; But, you'd think they could handle a little wind.&nbsp\\; Yea.&nbsp\\; Threats aren't good but I am tired of the arrogance of these types.&nbsp\\; I might file a small claims action for breach of implied warranty (they would not fall apart).&nbsp\\; I don't think they would show up and it would be fun to get a judgement against them.

Old 06-28-2008, 01:06 PM
sleepman54
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just read their warranty online, gotta wonder if they'd call motorcycling improper or unreasonable use. They'll probably tell you that they're not safety glasses and shouldn't be used to ride.&nbsp\\;

If I do decide to buy some nice glasses I'll avoid these

Old 06-28-2008, 01:59 PM
Erdnase
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My MJ's fell apart also but I didn't have much recourse as they were won in a poker game! I did however really enjoy them when they were in one piece. They had great glass! Interested in you updates. Good Luck!

Old 06-28-2008, 03:46 PM
cray49a
Road Master

Thanks.&nbsp\\; We'll see!