General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When People Throw Junk At You Out of a Car-What Do You Do?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 04:53 PM
racklefratz
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default When People Throw Junk At You Out of a Car-What Do You Do?

OK - the setup is, slow winding country road, rounding a curve, a pickup with 3 high school harrys appears, opposite direction, both of us around 30 mph, and the middle harry tosses a crunched-up aluminum can at me through the open rear window of the truck, as we pass.&nbsp\\; I saw it coming, and it missed me and the bike.

My concern is that there is potential for this sort of thing to damage the bike or hurt me, maybe pretty badly.&nbsp\\; It's a split-second occurrence, and there's little time to analyze exactly what's being thrown at me, and how big a threat it is.&nbsp\\; At night, you might not even know it's happening unless it hits you or your bike.&nbsp\\; If it's something heavier than a crunched can, we're talking about the potential to get hurt, and there are some really screwed up people out there.

I wanted revenge.&nbsp\\; I wanted to teach those hooligans a little respect for others.&nbsp\\; But after a couple of days thinking about it, I still can't come up with what I could have done, or might do in the future, that would be appropriate, and convey the message that they ought to think twice before doing it again.&nbsp\\; To them, it's probably a harmless prank.&nbsp\\; I obviously see it differently, for good reason, IMO.

What would you do?&nbsp\\; Or is this something so innocuous that I should just shrug it off, and ride on down the road?&nbsp\\; "Just go and kick some ***" doesn't work, for two reasons\\;&nbsp\\; there were three of those 19-somethings, and I'm 63, and secondly, it's a little hard to stop a moving pickup from a bike.&nbsp\\; And, if I were successful in confronting them, what if they produced a .30-.30 from that truck ?&nbsp\\;

So, any suggestions?

Old 06-29-2008, 05:01 PM
meveratt
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: When People Throw Junk At You Out of a Car-What Do You Do?

While the initial temptation might be to turn around and go beat their asses, you'd be better off to turn around, follow them until you get a licence plate, and then call the LEO's. Tossing stuff out of a car is a serious offence in any jurisdiction.

Old 06-29-2008, 05:04 PM
winston chopper
Tourer

One time I road raged and gave someone the finger for cutting me off &nbsp\\;and when we stopped the guy confronted me from his window. I was already on my way over and kicked the mirror off his car ! It was hanging by the cable . I scared him and he took off!!&nbsp\\; I feell like doing that everyu time someone acts like an idiot around a bike. People have no respect and just dont realize the danger they crate for us. I wouldnt recomend the mirror thing ,it kinda hurt!!

Old 06-29-2008, 05:07 PM
jmacdonald5
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: meveratt

While the initial temptation might be to turn around and go beat their asses, you'd be better off to turn around, follow them until you get a licence plate, and then call the LEO's. Tossing stuff out of a car is a serious offence in any jurisdiction.
....I agree...it's tempting, but with the "killas" out there today?....fuuu-ged-a-bout-it.....you can easily wind up dead....not worth it since nothing hit you...besides...don't worry...punks like that eventually get what's commin to em....just takes a little time....[:@]

Old 06-29-2008, 05:10 PM
Rodman813
Road Captain

This is why I keep a pouch full of ball bearings......LOL........But I'm not advocating you do this...... wink wink......
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
But seriously...throwing things out of a window is a seriuos offense. Here in MD a lady was sentenced to jail for throwing a cup of coffee at another driver during a road rage case. Know what the charge was??? Attemped murder, by knowingly throwing a "projectile" out of a moving vehicle............ Sounds crazy, but it happened........And we're talking about a cup of coffee in this case....

Old 06-29-2008, 05:25 PM
mwswarrior
Cruiser

I would have taken the license plate and called a local buddy in the P.D.

Old 06-29-2008, 05:27 PM
Ultra007
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Rodman813

This is why I keep a pouch full of ball bearings......LOL........But I'm not advocating you do this...... wink wink......
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;
But seriously...throwing things out of a window is a seriuos offense. Here in MD a lady was sentenced to jail for throwing a cup of coffee at another driver during a road rage case. Know what the charge was??? Attemped murder, by knowingly throwing a "projectile" out of a moving vehicle............ Sounds crazy, but it happened........And we're talking about a cup of coffee in this case....
&nbsp\\;
Old School!&nbsp\\; I like it!
Never had the bucks for ballbearings but I have used a handful of nuts and bolts thrown over my shoulder back in the day.&nbsp\\; Kicked a mirror off a time or two.&nbsp\\; Don't recommend it these days though.&nbsp\\; The last mirror I kicked off landed in front of my front tire and I ran it over and got a flat, showed that jag off!&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; LMAO
Take a deep breathe and let it go is my advice these days.
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
U

Old 06-29-2008, 05:29 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: winston chopper

One time I road raged and gave someone the finger for cutting me off &nbsp\\;\\\\\\;and when we stopped the guy confronted me from his window. I was already on my way over and kicked the mirror off his car ! It was hanging by the cable . I scared him and he took off!!&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I feell like doing that everyu time someone acts like an idiot around a bike. People have no respect and just dont realize the danger they crate for us. I wouldnt recomend the mirror thing ,it kinda hurt!!
I wouldn't try that personally, because if somebody gets that close to my vehicle in a threatening manner they will probably not walk away.

Old 06-29-2008, 05:35 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

I've still got those old lug nuts from my 72 chev pickup.&nbsp\\; The original ones.&nbsp\\; When I put the alum wheels and chrome mags on it, I saved the old lug nuts.&nbsp\\; Eight to a tire on that old 3/4 ton, and I've still got most of em left.&nbsp\\; They are the answer, cheap, disposable, and nontraceable (wink, wink).. Never really used them, but knowing they're there if I want to gives comfort when I think about those little punks throwing garbage at you...Keep a few in the windshield bag just in case...

Old 06-29-2008, 05:45 PM
slankard
Cruiser

Don't use ball bearings or lug nuts, use marbles!! They shatter on impact with a wind shield and leave no evidence!! They also make a mess of a wind shield. I do not advocate this it is just a suggestion.

Quick Reply: When People Throw Junk At You Out of a Car-What Do You Do?