General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dissapointed with Harley Mufflers!

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 08:37 PM
Tonsch
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dissapointed with Harley Mufflers!

Last week i ordered a set of harley davidson baloney cut slip-on mufflers part #80102-97 for my 02 sporster 883 because i read on here that the older harley mufflers sounded way better than the newer screamin eagle slip on mufflers, and when i put them on today they were quieter than my stock mufflers.&nbsp\\; A couple weeks ago i put my dads screamin eagle mufflers baloney cut mufflers for his 95 bad boy and they sounded really good on my bike, and this were the old screamin eagle pipes that are stammped with harleys logo, i found the part number and they are 80038-95,&nbsp\\; I was wondering if anyone else on here had the harley mufflers that i bought and how would i get some good sound out of them, im afraid of taking the baffles out and getting the same sound&nbsp\\; as my stock pipes with the baffles out....does anyone have any advice???

Old 07-16-2008, 09:08 PM
OldArmy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Dissapointed with Harley Mufflers!

Don't bother punching them. I did exactly that to the slash cuts I had on my 02 FXDX and they sounded terrible. Really hollow, booming sound. Loud but not a good sound at all. My advice is to try to return them which may be a bridge too far. You got to pay for the good sound (not to mention workable backpressure, engineering, etc).

Old 07-16-2008, 09:15 PM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I know of no HD brand performance part that's worth a crap anymore. Maybe it's EPA? Dunno.
&nbsp\\;
As for your part # maybe Harley kept the same part number when they changed the SE mufflers recently? Dunno that either but the earlier ones were made by cycle shack and they have a really nice sound imho.

Old 07-16-2008, 09:16 PM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I think maybe the quick answer is to sell those on ebay and buy some Rush or Cycle Shack replacements. Again, dunno but that's what I'd do.

Old 07-16-2008, 09:23 PM
xcelr8
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The new SE slip=ons take 3-4,000 miles to break in. The sound after the break in is deep and mellow. I really like mine.

Old 07-16-2008, 09:23 PM
wiseguy2day
Road Master

and when i put them on today they were quieter than my stock mufflers.
That's possible?

Old 07-16-2008, 11:05 PM
hardhead
Tourer

would some big city thunder monster baffles fit in them pipes?

Old 07-16-2008, 11:31 PM
Bowtieman31
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What you're looking for is a set of Screaming Eagle II mufflers. That's what script is on the muffler and they are louder than stock. Heck, even the 50 state legal Screaming Eagle muffler is louder than stock once you come off idle. The part number you bought are Harley Davidson mufflers and they are much quieter than the Screaming Eagle II's.

Old 07-17-2008, 12:30 AM
Tonsch
Intermediate

well my dad and i decided that we are going to send them back, and we were looking in an older harley catalog and they have the harley mufflers that i bought, then they have a screamin eagle II muffler that the catalog says is not street legal and if for race purposes and my dad thinks thats what he bought for his bike, but he wasnt sure since he bought the pipes brand new when he got his bike in 95, do any of you know anything about the older screamin eagleII's that are " Race Only's "????

Old 07-17-2008, 12:57 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have SE's slash cut on a EVO wideglide. Drilled the baffles out and they sound okay. Not too loud and not flat. I have V&amp\\;H's on my Heritage twin cam. They sound good. Not too loud but they definitely rumble. I do not think HD exhaust sound that good, especially for what they cost.

Quick Reply: Dissapointed with Harley Mufflers!