General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

O2 Sensor Cold Welded to sensor bung

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 08:56 PM
plane
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O2 Sensor Cold Welded to sensor bung

Bikes got 700 miles on it. I'm installing a set of Samson Ripsaws and the front O2 sensor was cold welded to the bung on the stock pipes. Sensor is ruined. Is this a common problem?

Old 07-28-2008, 09:09 PM
gs34doc
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Received 895 Likes on 633 Posts
Default RE: O2 Sensor Cold Welded to sensor bung

With the amount of heat there all the time, I suspect that is quite common.

Old 07-28-2008, 09:19 PM
plane
Road Captain

Bummer because it ruined my header pipe too!

Old 07-28-2008, 09:24 PM
gs34doc
Big Kahuna HDF Member

May have cross threaded it when they instaled, or possibly it was loose and the vibration caused it to weld. I would think with only 700 miles it should be a warranty issue.

Old 07-28-2008, 09:26 PM
gs34doc
Big Kahuna HDF Member

I would try for that anyway. What have you got to lose!

Old 07-29-2008, 09:14 PM
plane
Road Captain

Took the sensor into the dealer today. Got expected response. I'm betting dealers get tighter and tighter. I was miffed after paying over 20k at this dealership to be dissed for a lousy $43. I did tell them I hadn't sent in my dealer satisfaction form yet. They didn't care. What really got me was I never talked to the 'warranty guy'. I had a service fellow who kept going back and forth between us.

Dealership: Superstition Harley Davidson Apache Junction Arizona.

Very disappointed in my first Harley purchase.

Won't be returning to dealership for anything and won't recommend them to anyone. Hope they got their 43 bucks worth.

Now as an aside they did say they would honor warranty IF I brought the bike back to them and let them install the new o2 sensor in the stock pipes. I told them the entire exhaust was off of the bike and it wasn't rideable. My guy said we'll come pick it up. I said this is all fine and dandy but I'm putting on a new set of Samsons and don't want the stock exhaust system. He explained that this is the best they could do. I didn't want to explain that my stock pipe was as bunged up as the o2 sensor. At this point I would have never agreed only because I feel they would have laid out this big story about we found this and that and you'll have to pay X amount of dollars only to end up paying way more than the lousy 43 bucks.

I paid the lousy 43 bucks and left.

Old 07-29-2008, 11:37 PM
capt775
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel your pain. Thing is, in building old Hot Rods and trucks for years you run into this problem often. Sometimes the best wrench for these problems is HEAT. I've found a pinpoint tip on a torch will release tight header bolts and exhaust attachments almost everytime.

Old 07-30-2008, 12:42 AM
plane
Road Captain

You're right capt775. The funny part is the sensor broke free fairly easily. It was after that that I felt resistance. The service manual makes no reference to applying heat to remove the sensors but then again the service manual leaves much to be desired.

Old 07-30-2008, 12:48 AM
ebeattie
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 28 Posts

Happens all the time. 3.0 engines in Lexus cars and&nbsp\\; SUVs are notorious for stripping out in the bung when trying to replace them. Seen it enough times that I unfortunately have to recommend the header with it too. Heat doesnt really do much for us. The threads deepest in the bung warp enough and the threads in the header are weakened enough that the thread come right out. or it gets seized a sorry wad of metal is legft in your hands. fun.

Old 07-30-2008, 12:56 PM
plane
Road Captain

Well hopefully I won't be pulling the Samsons anytime soon. Got my first ride this morning and man what a sound. More power on tap too. All I've done so far is put in Xied's and the Samsons. No popping on decel, no surging, just good vibes and power. I don't think it can get much better than this.

Quick Reply: O2 Sensor Cold Welded to sensor bung