General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

?? about overheating

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 07:07 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

The newer models can overheat when stuck in traffic.Mine when into heat mode once while in Vegas.Outside temp was near 100/105.Finally had to do some illegal stuff to get moving.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:10 AM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Hell, my water cooled truck (2004 Chevy Colorado) gets hot in the summer. It doesn't "overheat", but it gets hotter than normal when the temp is 100+. And that's driving down the highway, not just sitting and idling.

If you want a Harley, do it. Otherwise stick with the Hondas. Choice is a good thing.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:22 AM
mduggan
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think that I overheat before my Road Glide does. Performance does sometimes begin to suffer in the 90+ degree heat and humidity of northeast Florida. I rode metric baggers in the past and I think that I feel the heat more on the Harley. At the end of the day, I'd prefer the Harley to the metric even if I had to sit over an open flame. Freedom of choice is a beautiful thing. I would recommend that you exercise yours and get whatever makes you happy.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:30 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome aboard. If you ride, you ride. What you ride makes no diff to me. I'm more interested in the person, not what they ride. I know some GREAT ppl on Metrics, and I know some real chitheads on HDs.
If you have ever been to Sturgis in the past 10 yrs or so, you have no doubt seen bikes parked along LaSalle(Hiway 34), going out to Thunder Road and Glencoe. They are not parked there waiting for Momma to get done shopping.
I do parades with the panhead, and I have a built in thermometer. I have one lifter, that likes to collapse when it gets too warm. If that happens (very rarely @ 100*+), end of the parade for me.
The new ones run warm because of the lean condition produced meeting EPA regs. Richen 'em up, get 'em to breathe, and reduce the heat build up.
I very rarely work on h2o pumpers, so can't comment on them. But have seen plenty of scarred cylinder walls in HDs after Sturgis traffic. Stay outta that chit for the motors sake, if not your own, when it is that frigging hot. One of the things that make the 'new' HDs run as well and long as they do, tighter tolerances, than the 'old' ones. But that can be a dual edged sword in heat.
We have had a GREAT riding season. Very few days above 90 this year. Oil temps have not gone above 150 or so on either the pan or shovel.

A DUH!! moment. Last trip to Sturgis, guy in our campground, just had a 107" built for his scoot. Took it to Sturgis, caught in the creep and beep to Full Throttle, seized it up. Couldn't break it loose, even rolling and banging it into gear. OUCH!! $$$$$$$
They'll 'talk' to you long B4 that happens, but you have to be listening to 'em.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:41 AM
CharlieGulf56
Banned

Originally Posted by Da Gumpmeister
Welcome aboard. If you ride, you ride.
A DUH!! moment. Last trip to Sturgis, guy in our campground, just had a 107" built for his scoot. Took it to Sturgis, caught in the creep and beep to Full Throttle, seized it up. Couldn't break it loose, even rolling and banging it into gear. OUCH!! $$$$$$$
They'll 'talk' to you long B4 that happens, but you have to be listening to 'em.
So what should he have done when he was being talked too? Pull over and shut her down or get onto a side street?

Old 08-21-2008, 09:26 AM
rguilbert
Cruiser

I went from a 1300 VTX to my FLHR and I will NEVER go back. The heat that I feel on the Harley is no different from the VTX when you are stuck in traffic. I have not had the problem of overheating the engine on the Harley and I have been to MB twice and many rallys where it was stop and go traffic. No problems yet! The Honda is a good running machine but all the plastic parts drove me crazy. LOTS of little problems with pieces breaking all the time. My FLHR is mostly metal parts and a lot more sturdy and heavy which makes it better for long distance crusing.
Welcome to the forum!

Old 08-21-2008, 11:02 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CharlieGulf56
So what should he have done when he was being talked too? Pull over and shut her down or get onto a side street?
Exactly!!! That's what the rest of them are doing in the ditch, or on the shoulder. It is either sit for as long as it takes to cool down a bit, or haul it/ship it home and then sit for weeks waiting to rebuild the motor. But it is always a choice, some just a li'l better than others.
He found out, it SUX to have to walk 'round whilst everyone else is riding, or ride beotch with one of your buds. And guar-own-tee, he was not the first, nor the last to do this. Just happened to be camped next to us, and we heard about it, first hand.
BTW, we trailered him to Rapid Harley, and when he got the real bad news, we hauled him back to the campground. The real bad news? WEEKS and $$$.
I have seen pans and shovels, running and riding with burnt/cracked pistons, valves, broken rings, etc. These new ones are not near as forgiving. JMFUO

Old 08-21-2008, 11:05 AM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

The newer it is the hotter it runs, thanks EPA!

Old 08-21-2008, 11:19 AM
monkers
Stage II

Wasnt looking to start a pissing match about Harley vs Honda. Do they come with an oil temp gauge to keep an eye on, or is that something you added? I dont really care what anyone rides, just curious about the heat issue. Thanks for the replies.
Craig

Old 08-21-2008, 11:39 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Just run synthetic oil if you are worried about heat. Jeez there are only 20 zillion Harley air cooled engines out there. As for longevity...I don't know anyone who has had to rebuild a Harley engine inside of 100,000 miles except for one guy who just beats his to death. He spun the crank on his Evo at about 80k.

Last edited by KBFXDLI; 08-21-2008 at 11:41 AM.