General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer service using AMSOIL

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 10:42 PM
Scotchdrinker
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer service using AMSOIL

I know the cost thing about doing your own service vs dealer doing it and I have a shop manual for my 08 road king. I have done all the maintaince and service work on my previous 2 harleys except for the remanufactoring Harley did on my wide glide.
I would like some advice from anyone who has had the dealer do the service using your own oil. I had the dealer do my 1000 mile service because it was included in the deal we made and they put in harley syn. oil. I plan on changing to AMSOIL at 3000-4000 miles and doing the scheduled Maint. at 5000 mi. myself. I would like to have the dealer do the 10,000 service but my question is will they get pissy about bringin in my own oil (the dont sell AMSOIL)? I have a good relationship with them (I think).
I will feel better having the dealership do service at maybe 10,000 & 25,000 mi. and i will do the rest. Just to make sure I dont something major. I,m not a mechanic but can do most things listed in the service shedules. I do not feel comfortabel thinking I can preform all the scheduled items though.
I have put a fair amount of $$ in this bike with the stage II 103 in engine and want to keep it in perfect shape.
Sorry for the long post...a simple thought turned into a boreing novel....

Old 08-20-2008, 11:10 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,757 Likes on 771 Posts

Depends on the dealer. My dealer never had any problems when I brought them Amsoil for an oil change. Just don't let them feed you the "it'll void your warranty" BS, cause it won't.

Cheers!

Old 08-20-2008, 11:24 PM
Scotchdrinker
Novice

That was one of my concerns, the "it'll void the warranty" nonsence, Harley's catch phrase the dealers use sooooo often. The other concern is, the dealer posts the charge for service work accordimg to milage schedules for reg. oil and Syn. I'm wondering if they will adjust the price if I bring my own oil or if they'll try to charge their posted price?

Old 08-20-2008, 11:25 PM
grimreaper169
Road Captain

If you don't use the amsoil filter with the amsoil you had just as well put in 50w dino oil

Old 08-21-2008, 12:16 AM
ske
Novice

Check with the dealer but when I was deciding on wether to do my own 1k service I had one of the dealers in my area tell me they had to perform the entire maintenance but did not mind if I brought my own oil. The other dealer told me I could do as much of the maintenance as I wanted to such as crankcase, tranny & primary oil change, ect. and they would do the rest. They gave me a quote on each item and how much it would knock of the bill.

Old 08-21-2008, 12:28 AM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Scotchdrinker
That was one of my concerns, the "it'll void the warranty" nonsence, Harley's catch phrase the dealers use sooooo often. The other concern is, the dealer posts the charge for service work accordimg to milage schedules for reg. oil and Syn. I'm wondering if they will adjust the price if I bring my own oil or if they'll try to charge their posted price?
Again, it'll depend on the dealer. Mine only charged me the labour (and a couple of bucks for "shop supplies") to do the oil change when I supplied the oil and filter.

Cheers!

Old 08-21-2008, 12:29 AM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by grimreaper169
If you don't use the amsoil filter with the amsoil you had just as well put in 50w dino oil
How do you figure that? I do use the Amsoil filter as well, but even using the HD filter the Amsoil will offer all the advantages of synthetic oil.

Cheers!

Old 08-21-2008, 05:38 AM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Our local dealer stocks Amsoil. That's where I buy it when I change my oil. It's cheaper than any other place in town.

Old 08-21-2008, 07:16 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Scotchdrinker
I will feel better having the dealership do service at maybe 10,000 & 25,000 mi. and i will do the rest.
Other than a fuel filter at 25,why are these services different?
You could always change the oil yourself then have them do the rest.

Old 08-21-2008, 07:32 AM
FL DEUCE
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Whst's the number for the Amsoil oil filter?

Thanks

Quick Reply: Dealer service using AMSOIL