General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Look'in to cruise Route 66

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 07:03 PM
LugoMS
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Look'in to cruise Route 66

Hey all, I'm looking into traveling to Ft. Knox, KY here in a couple of months since my brother-in-law got stationed there. I'm coming from San Antonio, TX and plan on catching route 66 from Oklahoma City, OK and taking it to St. Louis, MO. From there I wanna shoot over to Ft. Knox. I'm looking for people who have traveled route 66 to see if it is worth the extra travel time to get to Ft. Knox. Also, are there any camp grounds on route 66 or would I be better off getting a room? Any info, tips, or tricks would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 06-05-2010, 07:33 PM
SleeplessinVegas
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you got the time, do it. Americana at it's best.

Old 06-05-2010, 08:13 PM
jmorganroadglide
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,304 Likes on 1,343 Posts

I have ridden us 66 from okc to tulsa and beyond. If i were going from san antonio to fort know ky. I would head through arkansas up through eureka springs, through missouri and kentucky. In arkansas there is a ride that has something to do with a hogs tail which was really entertaining. Some one from arkansas can give more info. Arkansas ozarks are really nice to ride. Try to catch some of the horse country in kentucky. Just personal opinion, but this is more of a choice than route 66. Also there are people performing in branson missouri that i thought were dead.

Old 06-06-2010, 12:37 AM
kiwideuce
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts

that would be cool thing to do! how much of that route is left??as i am not american i am not sure about how much of the route is left,it is always something i would of loved to of done on a scoot or a big *** convertable impala or something

Old 06-06-2010, 02:08 AM
Poolie
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jen and I did a southwest roadtrip last year in a convertible that took in as much of Route 66 as we could find. We flew into LA, down to San Diego, then Tuscon, El Paso, San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, and then up to 66 at Oklahoma City before turning left and heading back west (I guess you will turn right?). There isn't a lot of the old road left and you need a good guide to help you find a lot of it. Here are a couple of good sites that I used;

roadtripusa.com
roadtripamerica.com

Did it in September and it was as hot as h*ll, don't know how you blokes can ride in some of those temps, especially in Arizona.

This was one of the best trips I have ever done, 3 weeks of cruising (most with the top down so it was kinda like a motorbike ride ). I could go on about it for pages but I will spare you...

Old 06-06-2010, 07:04 AM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Sadly, much of it is left to rot (not travel friendly) and/or hard to find. Our community is located at mile marker 71 of the longest stretch left intact.

Route 66 was officially decommissioned in 1984, although travel along the historic road had been declining for quite some time. Portions of Route 66 do still exist today however. The longest continuous stretch runs 165 miles through Arizona, from just east of Ashfork heading west to the California border. Here are some other facts about Arizona's portion of The Mother Road.

Read more at Suite101: Arizona's Route 66 Trivia: Facts about this picturesque stretch of America's Highway http://arizona-travel.suite101.com/a...#ixzz0q4b9Vhs6

I know little of the road where you want to travel........it will require some real research on your part to determine if there is enough left in OK and MO to make it worthwhile. I have yet to find one source for the Mother Road mile-by-mile as to what is passable and what was buried under I40 or simply plowed under. There is tons of info on how it used to be, but little on how it is today. Good Luck and enjoy the ride no matter how you go!

Old 06-06-2010, 07:16 AM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is a link to one of the many set-up websites that give you turn by turn but in small dose. Also a $16.00 map that might help you look at the whole picture a bit better.

http://www.historic66.com/books/book-ezguide.html

In case you can't tell.....I have become a bit of a Route 66 fanatic since moving to AZ!

Old 06-06-2010, 09:34 AM
harleyriv
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We picked up the route from the western end in '97 and it was worth it for at least 100 miles or so - Late summer evening views were awesome. We were over there for the San Bernadino Custom Rally.