General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rports are filtering in, stage1 and slipons with NO remapping.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:57 PM
hacksawsgarage
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default rports are filtering in, stage1 and slipons with NO remapping.

I am starting to hear reports of closed loop big twins having stage 1 AC and free flow slip ons being run w/o remapping the ECU. no ill effects they say.

anyone have more info?

Old 09-09-2008, 10:05 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I doubt it.....as the bikes all run hotter & leaner than hell before you stage one and add more air to make it leaner. The effects will be burnt valves & pistons which take some time to fail.

Old 09-09-2008, 11:24 PM
yankeeflyer72
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use the XIED which eliminates the need for remapping. I`m running a 96" stock motor with V&H Big Radius and Arlen Ness "Big Sucker" with no remapping. I have about 1,000 miles with the XIED with no problems The XIED enrichens the AF Ratio to 13.8:1. Down 9 points from the factory 14.7:1. Engine runs about 75 to 100 degrees cooler. Spark plugs are now a light tan instead of the white with the 14.7 AFR. Smoother and quicker throttle response. Smoother roll on in 6th gear. Engine runs much easier. Mileage came down from about 47 mpg to 44 mpg. Cheap fix and only takes about 10 minutes to install.

Last edited by yankeeflyer72; 09-10-2008 at 08:48 AM.
Old 09-10-2008, 05:04 AM
jkoch09ultra
Road Master

Bought a 09 Ultra. Added SE AC and Rush slip ons. Dealer did a stage 1 download. I had a Super Tuner on order but canceled it because bike runs great with the stage 1 download. Very strong. I may try the XIED in the future after I read more about it. Right now I am very impressed with the performance of this 09 UC.

Old 09-10-2008, 06:13 AM
gs34doc
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Received 895 Likes on 633 Posts

NightRider says the IEDs / XIEDs are not approved for use on the 09s. I would suggest you check with them before doing anything.

Old 09-10-2008, 06:49 AM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

People over in the bagger area have been doing it for some time. Using IED's or Xieds from Nightrider. Its a bandaid but it works.

Old 09-10-2008, 07:08 AM
DoomBuggy
Road Master

I'm using the XIEDs with FullSac True Dual conversion and a set of CVO slip ons. Very happy so far but over the winter I will probably do a set of cams, A/C, and a tuner. Not sure if I should do the Super SERT or ThunderMax w/ AutoTuner.

My plugs are now a nice light tan, I would be worried that the A/C would lean it back out again when not in closed loop operations.

Old 09-10-2008, 07:15 AM
Hidalgo
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KBFXDLI
I doubt it.....as the bikes all run hotter & leaner than hell before you stage one and add more air to make it leaner. The effects will be burnt valves & pistons which take some time to fail.

+1

It isn't rocket science to figure out that if a lean mixture already exists, then introducing more "usable" air into the system is going to make it even leaner. Will they continue to run and function like that? Obviously. Is it healthy and safe for the engine? Doubtful.

I still haven't read or heard for certain just how much the stock ECM can "adjust" for changes. That info would be helpful. Heard a lot of rumors about the ECM being able to offset changes...but no firm facts yet as to the degree it can adjust.

Old 09-10-2008, 07:35 AM
2kanzam
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like others said it may APPEAR to run ok, but some serious damage might be done in the long run. When I put my exhaust and air filter on, I let it idle for a few minutes to let the computer adjust (I was told the comp will adjust itself up to 20%). It seemed to run well but for the peace of mind I got the remap anyways.

Is it really worth cheaping out while risking the longevity of your $15k to $30k bike? To me it is not. I'd rather pay $150 now than thousands later!

Old 09-10-2008, 07:43 AM
Ace07FXDL
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 2kanzam
Like others said it may APPEAR to run ok, but some serious damage might be done in the long run. When I put my exhaust and air filter on, I let it idle for a few minutes to let the computer adjust (I was told the comp will adjust itself up to 20%). It seemed to run well but for the peace of mind I got the remap anyways.

Is it really worth cheaping out while risking the longevity of your $15k to $30k bike? To me it is not. I'd rather pay $150 now than thousands later!
A huge+1

Lets see if I got this right,,,,,,you buy a $20k bike and go cheap on $hit like this? Pony up a couple more hundred and do it right. I can't help but laugh when I see someone doing this.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: rports are filtering in, stage1 and slipons with NO remapping.