General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best time of year to puchase?

Old 09-24-2008, 10:32 AM
BigLowRider
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Best time of year to puchase?

I owned an '80 Low Rider for 10 years and it is now time to get back into biking. Two local dealers have demo days in October and I am renting a Low Rider for 24 hours in Vegas in November. Death Valley on a Harley has been a life-long dream of mine.

So I will be ready to purchase a Harley, probably a Low Rider, during the last week of November. I live in Canada and I am willing to delay this purchase until March.

When is the least expensive time of the year to purchase a new Harley from a dealer? I am paying cash.

Also, my dealer does not have any Low Riders in stock but a dealer 200 miles away does have MY new Low Rider in MY color and with MY options. Apparently they can do a dealer exchange. Can I expect as good a deal if they have to do a dealer exchange? Obviously, they know that I want the bike. Can I play one dealer off the other and see who would throw in the most bling?

Thanks.

Last edited by BigLowRider; 09-24-2008 at 10:40 AM.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:38 AM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Generally, the best time to pick up a bike is at a new model year when the dealers are trying to clear out remaining prior year models. Other than that, it's pretty much a pig in a poke. Just shop around as all dealers aren't created equal.

Old 09-24-2008, 10:41 AM
rak1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oldgeezer
Generally, the best time to pick up a bike is at a new model year when the dealers are trying to clear out remaining prior year models. Other than that, it's pretty much a pig in a poke. Just shop around as all dealers aren't created equal.
X2. I just bought an '08 Softail Custom and they were doing everything they could to make sure it went home with me. $1500 off, $1000 in a gift card and 6.5% APR with no down.

Old 09-24-2008, 10:47 AM
hardluk1
Road Master

I have bought two bikes in the fist week of january. Most riders in colder climates don't ride much so they ain't sell'n then. I have never had a close dealer to make me a deal ,i alway travel to buy. Call and make your deal on the phone and go get it. Your local service shop, if you go there ,ain't gona treat you any worse than they allready do now.Go to the dealer that treats you best. Whats wrong with that lowrider? You don't still own the shovel? Thats closer to a bike than some new stuff. Ain't much tuneing to be done at home on these new bikes.

Old 09-24-2008, 11:01 AM
P47
Tourer

You will love Death Valley. I did an overnighter there in January. Really cool. March will still be OK, even into April. To hot after that. Stay at the Furnace Creek Ranch (or Furnance Creek Inn if you are rich).

Old 09-24-2008, 11:05 AM
Cheese Head
Tourer

IMHO the best time to buy the bike is when the dealer you want to buy from, has the exact bike you want at a price you are willing to pay. If color or options (ABS, Security, etc) don't matter, probably buy last year's model at the start of a new model year as already mentioned. I used to live in Northern New York (near the border with Kingston, Ontario). Most dealers in the area were not willing to offer outstanding deals during the winter months on current year models. They might deal a little bit; but, not much. They had plenty of room for storage of bikes and they know that winter will not last forever and the winter sales slow down will pick up in just a few "short" months. I think most of the dealers in that area do a pretty good storage business and do alright with their winter mod specials so they can continue to pay the utility bills until sales pick up again in spring.

Old 09-24-2008, 11:11 AM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why not just buy it directly from the dealer down the road? You'll have it broken in by the time you get home. And the best time to buy anything is when nobody else is buying, and for motorcycles that time is NOT in the spring.

Last edited by Sharknose; 09-24-2008 at 11:14 AM.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:21 AM
Soft06
Outstanding HDF Member

I was told by the finance manager at the Harley dealer where I bought my softail that the end of October was the best time to buy. Reason being that the MC looks at the dealers to see how many previous year bikes are still on the floor come November first. They then reduce the allotment of the next years model to that dealer,,,depending on their inventory of the previous years model.
That's what I was told....is it gospel...who knows....but I bought my bike October 29th...2006 and got a killer deal.

Old 09-24-2008, 11:25 AM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,877 Likes on 1,415 Posts

I would think pretty much anywhere from November to late January would be good times to buy. Especially for those people that live up north. (December might be an exception, for those getting bikes as Christmas presents!)

Old 09-24-2008, 12:08 PM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Stealers, guess it is best when clearing for 'new' models.
Just did my daily run over Craigslist.
Numerous, VERY numerous, 06, 07, and 08 bikes.
It's 'fall' here, and either ppl are panicing over heat bills this winter, suffering economic woes, etc, etc OR as usual, NO decent winter storage, or don't want to store. I'd call it a 'fire sale'.

Lookin' for shovelheads? 5 or 6 for sure, right now, 3500 - 8000 TOPS.
But by Nov, (up here) those that didn't have storage, are sold, and rest possibly can hold out. But who knows what 'normal' will be this year, with the $$ BS.

Bought my 78, Dec 23rd. It had been on Craigslist for weeks, started at 7500, paid 4800, and loaded up half an enclosed trailer with additional parts. By the time they were sold, had less than 3700 in scoot. A little winter reshuffle, and

Name:  78RtFrt-1.jpg
Views: 3555
Size:  97.1 KB

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best time of year to puchase?