General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any Long Islanders remember bike night at Nathan's in Oceanside

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 03:56 PM
sgtjeff
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any Long Islanders remember bike night at Nathan's in Oceanside

Every Tuesday night for over since the 50's until the mid 90's. There were always over a thousand bikes there. It seemed like there was a Harley section, a crotch rocket section, and a general bike section. In the mid 90's there was a big fight between the 2 major 1% MC's and someone was stabbed. Between that and the yuppy neighbors complaining about the burnouts and wheelies & straight pipes on Long Beach Road the police started hassling everyone until bike night was no more. (I was a cop then but was on the bikers side) It was a real shame. I'm sure the storeowners loved it, especially Nathan's as they had long lines for hot dogs. Now you can count the people there on Tuesday night.
I met a lot of great guys there and there were always handouts for the upcoming poker runs, benefits, and other biker events.

Old 09-26-2008, 04:53 PM
Mandog
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn your old....but so am I. It moved out east to Bald Hill in Farmingville. Harleys on one side...Sport bikes on the other...and then show cars down the center. Nathans was better but the times are a changing....

Old 09-26-2008, 09:37 PM
bigjames19
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks for the memory! I moved to Florida over a decade ago, I remember bike night Tue. and hot rod night on Wed. I used to live in Freeport!

Old 09-26-2008, 09:43 PM
sgtjeff
Cruiser

When is bike night at Bald Hill? I remember going to Bald Hill for the Blue Knights bike blessing. I'm in the Blue Knights but not that chapter. Our chapter rides out east from Nassau every Sunday for lunch and many times stop at the Maples in Manorville.

One of the great things about Nathans in Oceanside was getting there. Going from the Southern State Pkway down Ocean Av, Lincoln Av, & Long Beach Rd there was so many bikes it seemed like riding at one of the bike rallies.

Old 09-27-2008, 06:57 AM
28gauge
Cruiser
Default Nathans

I'm 54 years old. I grew up in Valley Stream, L.I. Currently reside in Tucson, AZ. Had many a hot dog and such at that Nathans. Remember going there with my parents as a young kid and from time to time running into a huge collection of bikers; maybe a bike night. Was always facinated.

Some great memories there!

Old 09-27-2008, 08:05 AM
piggy
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Nathans ROCKED back then, times change, TODAY the OAK BEACH INN( former) parkinglot SUNDAY Mornings EARLY are packed with BIKES< RODS< customs. head out towards CAPTREE Sunday to see some neat stuff.

Old 09-27-2008, 09:11 AM
sgtjeff
Cruiser

I go to OBI occasionally on Sundays, usually when my club rides there. The thing about Nathans was that it was at night just seemed better. Also, too many cars at OBI and no food other than the roach coach parked there. Did you ever go to the Maples in Manorville on Sunday morning? There are plenty of bikes there with an outside bar/restaurant in back alongside the LIRR tracks.
By the way, does anyone know if Marcus Dairy in Connecticut still exist on Sunday mornings? Haven't gone there in years.

Old 09-28-2008, 07:59 AM
Mandog
Road Master

Originally Posted by sgtjeff
I go to OBI occasionally on Sundays, usually when my club rides there. The thing about Nathans was that it was at night just seemed better. Also, too many cars at OBI and no food other than the roach coach parked there. Did you ever go to the Maples in Manorville on Sunday morning? There are plenty of bikes there with an outside bar/restaurant in back alongside the LIRR tracks.
By the way, does anyone know if Marcus Dairy in Connecticut still exist on Sunday mornings? Haven't gone there in years.
Bald Hill is on Tuesdays but is seasonal. Marcus Dairy from what I heard is still going on but the rumer is it will end soon.

Old 09-28-2008, 08:28 AM
rdam
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

I grew up on Long Island, but now live in Florida. What Southerners don't know, and I sometimes forget, is that the riding season is so short up north, that bike nights, and other special events like that are more "intense". They are somehow more "special" because there is only a few during the season, and EVERYBODY feels like they have to be there.

One of the best bike nights I've been to is at Suzy Q's in Rhode Island. An Ice Cream shop in the middle of nowhere (Scituate). Summer's short in RI...So EVERYBODY has to be there!!!!!

Old 08-17-2014, 03:47 PM
Vikingnomad
Road Captain

Do you remember the Dragon Bike ??
Mel Bernstein used to have a bike shop on RT 110 in Melville, LI

Quick Reply: Any Long Islanders remember bike night at Nathan's in Oceanside