General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I get oil out of Sportster engine

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 10:56 PM
nivram39
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I get oil out of Sportster engine

I want to get the oil out of my sportster engine. And put fresh in. I've been told I can remove the filter. Connect a hose. fill the oil tank with new oil. crank the engine without starting. Wait till the old is out and I see clean oil. Then Slap the new HD filter on. Top up the tank, and burn rubber.

Old 10-04-2008, 10:59 PM
Kagan
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That would be an oil flush, not an oil change. It can be rigged quite easily with fittings from your auto parts store. In my opinion, a waste of time, effort and money. Just change it.

Old 10-04-2008, 11:04 PM
goinsideways136
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kagan
That would be an oil flush, not an oil change. It can be rigged quite easily with fittings from your auto parts store. In my opinion, a waste of time, effort and money. Just change it.

agreed. its too much work to do that and theres a chance of seizing so might as well just change the oil.

Old 10-04-2008, 11:09 PM
Kristy1980
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is there some reason why you want to flush it?

Old 10-04-2008, 11:28 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Don't know how to change Sporty oil, but I know where they come from

Old 10-04-2008, 11:35 PM
conroskie
Road Master

I know I'm gonna get flamed for this but what we do around here is run your bike for 3 to 5 miles, to get the oil warm, drain your oil bag pull the plug wires and hit the starter a few times to circulate the rest of the oil out then replace your filter fill the bag and hit the starter a few times to get your new oil circulating. Then replace the plug wires and fire it up. Check the bag and you will probably need another half quart of oil. It's kind of like the scavenging deal but you don't have to disconect any lines. And if you think you are damaging the motor then you are not doing anything different that when you start you bike in the first place. Also I use straight synthetic oil.

Old 10-04-2008, 11:42 PM
Kagan
Tourer

Why would you get flamed for that? Sounds efficient and thorough. And, you're not trying to suck it through a home-made filter-replacement thing.

Old 10-04-2008, 11:57 PM
Lopoetve
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by conroskie
I know I'm gonna get flamed for this but what we do around here is run your bike for 3 to 5 miles, to get the oil warm, drain your oil bag pull the plug wires and hit the starter a few times to circulate the rest of the oil out then replace your filter fill the bag and hit the starter a few times to get your new oil circulating. Then replace the plug wires and fire it up. Check the bag and you will probably need another half quart of oil. It's kind of like the scavenging deal but you don't have to disconect any lines. And if you think you are damaging the motor then you are not doing anything different that when you start you bike in the first place. Also I use straight synthetic oil.
You're going to starve the cylinders of oil that way - it's supposed to have a little bit of the old stuff left over while the pump builds pressure, it was never designed to pump air through like that to get the remaining oil out.

Old 10-05-2008, 12:11 AM
nivram39
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you CONROSKIE. I like my oil CLEAN/NEW. I knew someone would understand. I use Mobil 1 20/50 Syn. Thanks for the directions. Keep the rubber up and the frig opener happy.

Old 10-05-2008, 12:12 AM
conroskie
Road Master

Originally Posted by Lopoetve
You're going to starve the cylinders of oil that way - it's supposed to have a little bit of the old stuff left over while the pump builds pressure, it was never designed to pump air through like that to get the remaining oil out.
That's why the plug wires remain disconected. If the amsoil I use isn't good enough to turn the motor over a few times to get it repurged then I don't want it. I'm not starving the cylinders at all, not even running the motor. Just like your initial start up.

Quick Reply: How do I get oil out of Sportster engine