General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyna vs. Softail

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 11:32 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

When I ride softails I think they are the best. When I ride Dynas I think they are the best.

What to do? What to do?

Old 02-26-2017, 01:00 AM
JekyllnHyde
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 250 Likes on 146 Posts

I have a lot of fun riding my Softail, but I have a little more fun when I ride my Dyna.

Old 02-26-2017, 03:44 AM
Sorg67
Tourer
Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by SPRINGER
I understand your points. About the educating yourself before you make a change, I think you are doing the right thing. Before I bought my 05 Springer, I did a lot of research and when I bought her, I knew I had done the right thing and never looked back. I might add that the more you ride, the more relaxed you'll become and the less that you'll concern yourself about what might happen and just enjoy the ride. There is a good chance that something will scrape a time or two but don't worry about the rarities, because some might call that overthinking and riding is supposed to be fun. Good luck
I am quite often told that I am "over-thinking". That is how I roll.

At the moment, scrapes are rarities. They were common when I first got the bike. It had been lowered. I had it put back up to factory height and they stopped for a while. Then I got a bit more confident and started to scrape again. Then I had the front end rebuilt (it was a mess) and the scrapes stopped again. Now they have come back from time to time. I have ordered new Progressive shocks. I am thinking that will help.

I have only scraped on the right side, never on the left. I am thinking that is because right turns are generally tighter than left turns. But maybe there is something wrong with the suspension that give me a little less room on the right side. We shall see. Looking forward to seeing how much of a difference the new shocks make.

One of the things I like about the Softail is that riding technique matters. One of my adventure bikes is a Versys 650. Not a super fast, high performance bike by any means. But it is high performance enough that coming anywhere near its limits on public roads would be lunacy. Compared to the Softail, it is a rocket. Not that I want to ride bikes at their limits. But the connection with the machine is part of the fun for me. I feel a bit more connected to the machine on the Harley. But the Versys is fun to ride too.

I think I will try some other bikes in the meantime, but mostly work on my skills and knowledge.

Thanks for all the helpful input.

Last edited by Sorg67; 02-26-2017 at 03:53 AM.
Old 02-26-2017, 06:18 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,540 Likes on 3,792 Posts

Originally Posted by lh4x4
When I ride softails I think they are the best. When I ride Dynas I think they are the best.

What to do? What to do?
More then one women will get you shot!?..