General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyna vs. Softail

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 10:57 AM
dieselweasel
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dyna vs. Softail

I'm about to pay off my Sportster and I'm thinking about trading it in for another bike once spring comes back around. I know I either want something from the Dyna or the Softail family. What are your opinions on either one? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Old 10-22-2008, 11:09 AM
RoadKingRon1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Softail - especially Heritage..

I'm gonna catch flak but....Dyna's, to me, remind me of 70's Honda...

Old 10-22-2008, 11:18 AM
FXSTDSE2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The two closest bikes would be a FXSTS or a FXDWG. I had an old FXD and it was a great bike with lots of add-ons available. The FXS is also a nice bike with lots of stuff available. If you are looking for a entry level big bike I dont think you could go wrong with either. I would test ride both and get what you like more. JMO

Old 10-22-2008, 11:18 AM
icecaps
Reading More Posting Less
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rent each one for a day and make up your mind based on your riding style.

Old 10-22-2008, 11:21 AM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,434 Likes on 874 Posts

Dyna if you want a little Harley type engine vibration & a closer feel to the Sportster. Softail if you want a smooth idle & ride & a bit more versitility. If you pick a Softail you have a few more choices. I have a Standard customized & a Heritage. Both bikes are totally different even though they're both Softails. I love both for what they do when I need it.

Old 10-22-2008, 11:29 AM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 334 Likes on 203 Posts

I've ridden both. The Dyna is an old school feel (vibration), while the softail feels more refined with its balanced motor. Due to its lighter weight, the Dyna will be faster and handle quicker through the twisties. If you ride long distances most of the time, then I think the softail is a good choice.

Old 10-22-2008, 11:29 AM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

Get a bagger from the Touring family and be done with it. You know you're going to have one someday. Why not now? Great buys out there on everything, try the 1/2 day rental program and get two bikes in one day and ride em back to back. That way it's fresh in your mind what you like/don't like on each model. Good luck.

Old 10-22-2008, 11:32 AM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,877 Likes on 1,415 Posts

Originally Posted by RoadKingRon1
Softail - especially Heritage..

I'm gonna catch flak but....Dyna's, to me, remind me of 70's Honda...
Dayum that's harsh!

Each style has a slightly different ride and feel. The handling on a Dyna is slightly better (the 70's Honda shock location helps with that!) Plus the other thing that people mention (on both sides) is how the bikes vibrate. The Dyna's with the rubber mounted motors tend to vibrate more at idle, but smooth out once you start rolling. The Softtails are basically just the opposite, very smooth at idle, but have a slight vibration feel at speed. I personally never really noticed a huge difference between either bike, but maybe my butt is just permanently numb. The softtails have a definite advantage when it comes to accessorizing.

I would do a rental day, take a full day and spend it equally on each style and see how they feel to you. My personal preference was a Dyna, but you need to judge for yourself.

Originally Posted by Tony P
If you ride long distances most of the time, then I think the softail is a good choice.
Interesting, why would you think the softtail would be better for long distances? With the better suspension (stock at least, upgrading to Progressive for example makes it a moot point), the Dyna's are better suited for long term comfort I would think (after all, they aren't that much different suspension wise from a touring bike).

Last edited by Cryptoboy; 10-22-2008 at 11:37 AM.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:34 AM
46knuck
Tourer
Received 73 Likes on 27 Posts

I have a Heritage Softail and the wife drives a Dyna. I just prefer the solid mount motor and no vibration at idle or below 2000 rpm. This also goes for any of the rubber mount bikes.

I must say that the best deal going new is the standard Dyna, you can't beat a price for a big twin at about $13,500

As stated previously you must drive both to be sure! I test drove a new Road King and then the Heritage, easy choice for me.

Old 10-22-2008, 11:43 AM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 334 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by Cryptoboy
Dayum that's harsh!

Each style has a slightly different ride and feel. The handling on a Dyna is slightly better (the 70's Honda shock location helps with that!) Plus the other thing that people mention (on both sides) is how the bikes vibrate. The Dyna's with the rubber mounted motors tend to vibrate more at idle, but smooth out once you start rolling. The Softtails are basically just the opposite, very smooth at idle, but have a slight vibration feel at speed. I personally never really noticed a huge difference between either bike, but maybe my butt is just permanently numb. The softtails have a definite advantage when it comes to accessorizing.

I would do a rental day, take a full day and spend it equally on each style and see how they feel to you. My personal preference was a Dyna, but you need to judge for yourself.

Interesting, why would you think the softtail would be better for long distances? With the better suspension (stock at least, upgrading to Progressive for example makes it a moot point), the Dyna's are better suited for long term comfort I would think (after all, they aren't that much different suspension wise from a touring bike).
Overall, I think the 96B makes for a good touring motor. Only my opinion...

Quick Reply: Dyna vs. Softail