General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

10 year financing

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 10:58 PM
Domestic Violence
Stellar HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 24 Posts

someone who finances a bike for 10 years is buying 6-years more than they can barely afford

Old 10-25-2008, 11:07 PM
jason628
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Beercan321
I was at the dealer today picking up a few things and while I was there I had a long conversation with one of the parts guys. He said times are really tough for Harley dealers right now. Maybe some dealers are doing well but most are hurting. He told me about the latest incentive to try to entice buyers. You can now finance a new Harley for 10 years!! I would never finance anything for 10 years (except a house). I wonder if offering 10 year financing will get more people to buy bikes. I wonder what the interest rate is.

The dealer I was at isn’t openly advertising 120 month financing but a quick Google search shows there are dealers that are actively pushing 10 year financing.

http://www.toledohd.com/eagle_financeapp2.asp

Would you finance a motorcycle for 120 months if that was the only way you could afford a bike? Personally I would save my money until I could afford a shorter term loan.
Greetings,

I agree...This is doing more harm than good. The car business thought they were doing everybody a favor with 72 and 84 month financing. Guess what? People don't keep their cars that long and owe so much that it was hard to get them out. Just think of all these truck and SUV buyers that did the long term loans...They are stuck! Harley Financial isn't in the best of shape to begin with...Let alone doing something stupid like this.

Old 10-25-2008, 11:25 PM
Big Jake
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great way to get upsidedown on a motorcycle. If you have to finance a motorcycle for 10 years don't buy one. Sorry

Old 10-25-2008, 11:28 PM
goodbirds
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Lightbulb

You can count on people to take advantage of these kinds of financing, because if the payment fits they'll live with it. They've had 10-15 year financing on motorhomes and other RV's for some time.

True, the interest on these kinds of loans is nearly doubling the value of the initial transaction, but some folks don't care about that. Problem is, within the ten year span, a lot of people will have an interruption in income, and that will doom the loan.

Personally, I believe in 20% down to cover the first year's depreciation, and a a maximum of 4 years of payments. Even then, it adds 10-15% to the cost of the motorcycle in the beginning. 10 years is a financial no-no.

Cash is always best, though the dealer doesn't profit as much as if he can package a loan. But it is also important to get a bike sold, because of the additional business the dealer picks up in the shop and accessories.

Old 10-25-2008, 11:34 PM
DZLDR
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Domestic Violence
someone who finances a bike for 10 years is buying 6-years more than they can barely afford
+1
you could not have said it any better

Old 10-25-2008, 11:46 PM
Toolguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I pay cash for my vehicles. But if they offered 10 year financing at a lower rate than I could make in secure investments, then I would be making money on the deal. Simple math. I'd be better off investing my cash and making the payments on a Harley. It's all about the interest rate. If you can invest at a rate that is better than you borrow then you're better off financially to finance your investments.

Old 10-25-2008, 11:51 PM
freekdawg1200
Road Warrior

That's insane!What's the moco's slogan? SCREW IT,LETS RIDE!?

Old 10-26-2008, 12:15 AM
red devil
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by freekdawg1200
That's insane!What's the moco's slogan? SCREW IT,LETS RIDE!?
That's funny, But the sad part is a lot of people think that way. Imagine this, the first 6 years of payments are just intrest.

Old 10-26-2008, 12:23 AM
traveler
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

With the surplus of used bikes on the market, and the MOCO wanting to charge outrageous prices for motorcycles, this is something we should have seen coming.

Folks will do this, and this is a necessary step for the MOCO to keep it's doors open and keep all of their people employed. If it all goes to crap, the Gov't will bail them out, you know that!

'ol Uncle Sugar can't say no.

~Joe

Old 10-26-2008, 12:25 AM
freekdawg1200
Road Warrior

Oh yeah.People are addicted to the minimum payment like it's crack!
Red Devil,You watching the Phillies game?My hands are getting really sweaty.........

Quick Reply: 10 year financing