General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

question ~ the way my bike runs

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 08:19 PM
Adacas
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question ~ the way my bike runs

Bike has about 2000 miles on it. Man I love this bike, but lately I'm questioning the way it runs at certain RPMs. If I'm cruising, it sounds like its only running on one cylinder. If I roll on the throttle its smooths out and acceleration is good but soon as I back off to cruising throttle again it sounds like one cylinder. Instead of Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr its more like BA-BA-BA-BA - only way I can describe it. Its Brrrrrrrrrr when accelerating but Ba-Ba-Ba-Ba while cruising.

It becomes more pronounced after a couple hours and engine is good and warm. There also seems to be excessive vibration associated with this, sometimes it almost blurs my vision. I mentioned it to the HD tech when they did my pipe install but he said there were no error codes and he rode it and felt nothing was out of ordinary, but he rode when it was cold.

What I'm wondering if the rest of you feel this is normal for HD or if this sounds like something is amiss. I don't believe it was running like this when I first got the bike, it seems to be getting worse. I don't know.

Your comments please, before I take it back the tech again with a stronger complaint. thx

Old 10-27-2008, 09:04 PM
fireglider
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Adacus, it doesn't sound normal to me, but I'm at a loss to suggest what the problem might be, though it sounds as if the rear cylinder could be cutting out like it might at idle when very hot. It certainly should not do that while cruising. I would take it to the dealer after it gets up to the temp where it does thatand have a tech ride it then. Please keep us posted. My bike, and other Harleys I have owned or ridden were all smooth, no strong vibrations and certainly no vision blurring.

Old 10-27-2008, 09:05 PM
guitarman777
Road Captain

From what I understand, they actually put that feature into the bike on purpose to improve gas mileage, similar to what GM is doing to their trucks & SUVs to improve mileage. At cruising speeds half the cylinders in their V8 engines shut down to save on fuel, & I believe Harley implemented a similar feature into the '09 Touring bikes.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that's it.

EDIT: I think it also has something to do with the system they designed to route heat from the exhaust away from the rider.

Last edited by guitarman777; 10-27-2008 at 09:08 PM.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:11 PM
IlDuce
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

back cylinder shuts off when the motor gets hot when sitting in traffic... when you hit the throttle it come back on. As for cruising on a new tourer.... all cylinders fire

Old 10-27-2008, 09:40 PM
Adacas
Cruiser

Thanks for the replies. It certainly feels/sounds like one cyl is cutting out at cruise. At 35 mph in 3rd it sounds like quite the vibratto
Guess its gotta go in.

Last edited by Adacas; 10-27-2008 at 09:42 PM.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:45 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Check plug wires and plugs first, and then go from there...

Old 10-27-2008, 10:37 PM
IlDuce
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

when im really gunning my throttle and then decelerate i feel it cut out and back on a few times... also when im going slow decelerating. (shovelhead motor)

then again i also checked over my bike and my plastic fuel filter is melting, that could be my reason

Old 10-28-2008, 06:35 AM
guitarman777
Road Captain

Originally Posted by IlDuce
back cylinder shuts off when the motor gets hot when sitting in traffic... when you hit the throttle it come back on. As for cruising on a new tourer.... all cylinders fire
Thanks, you hit in on the head. I was close.

Old 10-28-2008, 06:49 AM
dyna07custom
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

check for codes yourself just to keep them honest. If Cylinder is cutting out you should be getting a code

Old 10-28-2008, 06:50 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Always check with dealer,as far as trying to save fuel by shutting off one cylinder.No way for this cat.That would be the first mod for me to make on a new Harley.Disable that foolish device.Good Luck

Quick Reply: question ~ the way my bike runs