General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting my first bike ready for storage....

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 04:42 PM
Bolts
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting my first bike ready for storage....

tried doing a search but couldn't really find what i'm looking for.

got my first bike at the end of august and unfortunately its going to be freezing here in chicago in a couple weeks. so, this being the first time doing this, all i need is:

battery tender
oil change
stable in the tank

am i missing anything?

Old 10-30-2008, 05:05 PM
iceman336
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 10-30-2008, 05:08 PM
Ratkiller
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put some 000 steel wool inside the pipes.Keeps the critters out.
My bike is stored in my garage but mice do get in from time to time. My cat helps also.
Ratkiller

Last edited by Ratkiller; 10-30-2008 at 05:22 PM.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:51 PM
MZBuckeye
Road Warrior

I don't change the oil before winter. Never saw the point. Stabil in the tank, tender for the battery, and pray for spring!

Old 10-30-2008, 09:56 PM
IlDuce
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

i was told to keep wood underneith the tires, it keeps the oils in the tire and doesnt dry rot inside the tread (concrete pulls the oils out of tires and creates dry rot)

i was told this from a MSF instructor

Old 10-30-2008, 10:02 PM
Bluesssman
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, change your oil before storage. Old oil contains many contaminates, so why not eliminate those nasties. The rest of the suggestions are excellent.

Old 10-30-2008, 10:23 PM
oljim49
Cruiser

If it is going to be in cold storage, I would suggest that you over-inflate the tires a bit in addition to the other recommendations and put some carpet strips under the tires to minimize moisture and flat spots. Another option is to simply put it up in the air if you have a lift. You can also spray the chrome down with WD 40 to prohibit pitting. Stabil in the tank (full of gas) and ran thru the system is a must as is a battery tender. The oil change is a matter of preference as today's oils (especially synthetics) rarely deteroriate to the point where you need to be concerned, but another train of thought there is it's cheap insurance and may make you sleep better . Obviously, a good wash to remove grime and bugs, etc. prior to storage is important and a dust cover of some type while in storage is a good idea. Also make sure to take everything out of the saddlebags especially if ya have anything in there that might entice critters. I've been using this method for over 30 years and have never had an issue when I crank it up in the Spring. Good luck and rest easy.

Old 10-30-2008, 11:50 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Bolts
got my first bike at the end of august and unfortunately its going to be freezing here in chicago in a couple weeks. so, this being the first time doing this, all i need is:

battery tender
oil change
stable in the tank

am i missing anything?
Yes... you're missing the fact that we some times don't get much snow in the winter, may have many days in the 40's, and there's no reason to store your bike. Park it in your garage. maintain it normally, put the battery tender on it if you're not riding it for a couple of weeks, buy some long johns and other winter gear, layer up, and ride!

Today was awesome riding weather. Tomorrow is supposed to be even better - temps approaching 70°.

We're heading out to Cigars & Stripes on Ogden in Berwyn for a Halloween bash. Jump on your bike & join the festivities.