General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyna vs Bagger

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 11:22 AM
crock
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dyna vs Bagger

How does a a Dyna set up with a good windshield, seat, lights, and bags compare to a bagger for all day rides? I know the bagger is designed for this from the start, but the Dyna just makes me happier. If I purchase the Dyna and I can't make it long distance comfortable, then I will not be happy and will be a lot poorer when I have to trade it for a bagger.

Old 11-09-2008, 11:41 AM
tdegroot
Cruiser

I feel the same way you do. Most of the time I'm commuting to work, 50 miles a day. I thought the bagger would be overkill. I took a long trip last summer and found that my bike was ok and enjoyed it, but having said that, I'm sure I would have been more comfortable on a bagger. If I were going two up, I don't think it would be even close. I don't ride two up and seeing I don't like the looks of the bagger, I guess I made the right choice. Ride them both for yourself to find out. The only thing I know for sure, I wouldn't be happy with the bagger because I just don't like the looks, no matter how comfortable.

Old 11-09-2008, 05:18 PM
Uncle Scrooge
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Been in your shoes. Owned an 02 SuperGlide that I flat loved, but wanted something that would be suitable for weeks long 2 up touring, which a Dyna simply is not. My EG is more comfortable one up on the open road, but not so much so that I would trade for that reason alone. But I have also come to love its radio and ease of packing stuff. Wish I could have afforded both bikes.

Old 11-09-2008, 05:35 PM
Dooley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8,972 Likes on 1,475 Posts

I was torn between getting the Fat Bob or a used Road King.....
both have their attributes and good deals on used touring bikes put them in line with the cost of a new Dyna.
I felt the same way about maybe being overkill for the type of riding I do, mostly day ride back road blasts with some week end trips thrown in.
The Fat Bob fills this niche nicely being almost as nimble as a Sportster on the back roads and fairly comfy on the highway.
Having said all that, my next bike will defiantly be a Road King.

Old 11-09-2008, 05:54 PM
Drew_72
Advanced

I went through a similar "fork in the road" type moment recently regarding what I want in an MC... I will be taking delivery of an '09 road king classic come Spring time.

regards,
Drew

Old 11-09-2008, 06:05 PM
04harleyboy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I rode out to Sturgis on my dyna, I loved my dyna. When I got back I bought the Street glide within a month. Don't get me wrong, I loved it, great bike for around town. But if you are going to take it on trips, a touring bike is the way to go!

Old 11-09-2008, 06:35 PM
AmmoDan
Cruiser

I've taken my Fat Bob on week long road trips (2 up, I might add) through all sorts of climates/terrain and LOVE long distance riding on it. The ride is smooth and the factory seat wasn't really uncomfortable to me.

That being said, if I was given a Road King Classic, I would probably take that for the long haul instead of the Fat Bob...if that makes sense. I wouldn't trade the 'Bob in for one, though.

I should also add that I am 24, so I probably put up with more than the average old-timer (meant with all due respect).

Old 11-09-2008, 06:43 PM
dope_man_21
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I went for more power to weight ratio, not caring if it was comfortable after riding all day, they make too many aftermarket parts for me not to be comfortable.

Old 11-09-2008, 07:09 PM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,039 Likes on 3,711 Posts

Loved my Dyna for 1 up. For 2 up it's just not there. I've had 2 baggers since. My Street Glide is great fun to ride.

Old 11-09-2008, 07:32 PM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No way a dyna or softail can compare to a bagger for the ride.

if you give the bagger time, it will spoil you. I've tried to leave a bagger and ride all day on other bikes.
Baggers Rule.

Its just a matter of time till yer on a bagger.

Quick Reply: Dyna vs Bagger