General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help pricing jacket and/or authenticating

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 07:04 PM
titan450r
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help pricing jacket and/or authenticating

Need help pricing jacket and/or authenticating-dscf7052.jpg

Need help pricing jacket and/or authenticating-dscf7053.jpg

Need help pricing jacket and/or authenticating-dscf7054.jpg
Hi all, I am new to this forum, so please accept my apologies if I am posting in the wrong area. With that said, I have a Harley jacket that I bought from a friend several years ago and have someone who wants to buy it but I dont want to sell it for less than it is worth, in fact am more partial to keeping it, but I am now curious how much it is worth in todays market and if it is in fact what it appears to be (a 50th year commerative) ... Can anyone help me with this task or let me know of a site that I could authenticate it at?
I have attached pictures to help. The jacket has HD buttons, hook chain, the inside pocket is stamped with the HD logo. The patch on the front reads: 50 years, Harley Davidson, American legend. The sleeves and white parts are leather, the rest is cloth (like the old letterman jackets) with a quilted liner, and inside leather pocket. The back is raised letters that say HD 1903. There are three tags in it, one reads made in Korea, one reads M/regular and the other has P/O, Mfg and some other stuff that I can hardly make out.
I have looked all over the place and can not seem to find a jacket like this one anywhere.
Thanks in advance for any assistance...

Old 11-12-2008, 07:14 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

Boy, that's a tough one going back to 1953 but I doubt seriously that Harley was getting jackets made in Korea in 1953. Were we not at war in Korea in 1953? Contact HD and someone there may be able to confirm if that is authentic. Good luck.

Old 11-12-2008, 07:17 PM
mp
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Harley celebrated their 50th anniversary in 1954, so it's doubtful a commemorative jacket from that year would have 1903 on the back. Plus, I highly doubt that a Harley jacket from the 50's would have been made in Korea. So I would guess it's not worth much.

Old 11-12-2008, 07:20 PM
*NIGHT TRAIN*
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Korean War was from June 25, 1950-July 27, 1953...pretty safe bet H-D wasn't importing stuff from them then.

Old 11-12-2008, 08:17 PM
titan450r
Stage II
Default Thanks

Thanks to all of you for your info... sounds like its a good thing it keeps me warm

Old 11-12-2008, 09:09 PM
GoBison
Cruiser

You could give this place a call.....

http://www.vintagemotorcyclejackets.com

THE CORNER STORE 900 W. LAKE ST.
MINNEAPOLIS,MINNESOTA 55408
612 823 1270

Hours: 11-7 Mon.-Fri. 11-6 Sat.. 12-5Sun

Old 11-12-2008, 09:13 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Harley jackets from the 50's have much smaller HD labels on the inside. That's prob from the late 80's-early 90's

Old 11-13-2008, 12:03 AM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by *NIGHT TRAIN*
The Korean War was from June 25, 1950-July 27, 1953...pretty safe bet H-D wasn't importing stuff from them then.
We were "helping" the South Koreans in their fight with the North Koreans, right?

Any reason why the jacket couldn't have been made in South Korea?

Old 11-13-2008, 12:10 AM
codyshop
Tourer

I don't think HD did any anniversary anything until the late eighties when they realized people would by that ploy.

Old 11-13-2008, 06:06 AM
carlo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by titan450r
Attachment 12221

Attachment 12222

Attachment 12229
Hi all, I am new to this forum, so please accept my apologies if I am posting in the wrong area. With that said, I have a Harley jacket that I bought from a friend several years ago and have someone who wants to buy it but I dont want to sell it for less than it is worth, in fact am more partial to keeping it, but I am now curious how much it is worth in todays market and if it is in fact what it appears to be (a 50th year commerative) ... Can anyone help me with this task or let me know of a site that I could authenticate it at?
I have attached pictures to help. The jacket has HD buttons, hook chain, the inside pocket is stamped with the HD logo. The patch on the front reads: 50 years, Harley Davidson, American legend. The sleeves and white parts are leather, the rest is cloth (like the old letterman jackets) with a quilted liner, and inside leather pocket. The back is raised letters that say HD 1903. There are three tags in it, one reads made in Korea, one reads M/regular and the other has P/O, Mfg and some other stuff that I can hardly make out.
I have looked all over the place and can not seem to find a jacket like this one anywhere.
Thanks in advance for any assistance...
If you want to sell it sell it .If you want to keep it keep it. It's worth what some one is willing to pay for it. I can't stand when people can't make up there mind if they want to sell or not. Cause some one wants to buy it now it's worth gold. Better you keep and put it in plastic wrap and hang it in the closet it's worth thousands.

Quick Reply: Need help pricing jacket and/or authenticating