General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good jeans for riding

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 01:13 PM
ChiefGator
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Good jeans for riding

I was looking for some new Levi's the other day when I came across some Riggs Workwear jeans. They are made by Wrangler and are fantastic for riding.

What makes them so good is the gusset in the crotch. It is wonderful to sit on the bike for a long ride and not have that seam splitting the Boys...

As an added bonus, they were fairly cheap. I think I paid $20.

Old 11-18-2008, 01:30 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Use to wear Levi's back in 'the day', but switched over to the Wrangler 13MWZ's and never looked back... Last time I looked at the 'newer Levi's' they had even cut down the number of belt loops from 7 to 5. Talk about trying anything to save a penny...

The 'original cowboy cut 13MWZ's' are heavy duty and seem to last for years, and are made in the USA (at least all of them I currently own).

Old 11-18-2008, 01:31 PM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I usually wear Diamond gusset jeans that have kevlar lining in the butt, hips, and knees. They're not cheap but the protction they afford makes them worth the money. Plus they have velcro straps on the bottom of the pants legs to close the pant leg around the boot. Makes a world of difference when riding in cold weather keeping the cold air out.

Last edited by barjbar; 11-18-2008 at 01:42 PM.
Old 11-18-2008, 01:35 PM
turn8a
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by barjbar
I usually wear Diamond gusset jeans that have kevlar lining in the butt, hips, and knees. They're not cheap but the protction they afford makes them worth the money. Plus they have velcro straps on the bottom of the pants legs to close the pant leg around the boot. Makes a world of difference when riding in cold weather keeping the cold air out.
I like the draggin jeans ,they have the Kevlar protection I will have to check out the diamonds.

Old 11-18-2008, 01:37 PM
overhead
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by barjbar
+1. I have the Diamond Gusset kevlar jeans and also a couple of pairs of their regular jeans. Good quality and comfortable and made here.

Old 11-18-2008, 01:44 PM
Joe Diver
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Levi 501's and tighty whities are a NO-GO.....

I wear Wrangler loose fit carpenter style jeans with Haines sport undies...plenty of support, breathability, and no seams. Ride all day without issue.

Old 11-18-2008, 01:50 PM
Primo
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ChiefGator
I was looking for some new Levi's the other day when I came across some Riggs Workwear jeans. They are made by Wrangler and are fantastic for riding.

What makes them so good is the gusset in the crotch. It is wonderful to sit on the bike for a long ride and not have that seam splitting the Boys...

As an added bonus, they were fairly cheap. I think I paid $20.
I have to keep an eye out for that brand.

Mostly I wear Dickies Carpenter Jeans but I should always wear my Draggin' Jeans. I also have a pair of HD jeans with the kevlar in the seat and knees.

Draggin' Jeans now has full length Kevlar pant liners to wear under any jeans you wish. Kind of like long john thermal pants but for protection not warmth.

After getting a bit scraped up on the freeway after being cutoff you'd think I'd wear the kevlar lined ones all the time.

Slow learner I guess.

Primo

Old 11-18-2008, 01:58 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm sure the jeans with Kevlar reinforcement would be a big plus in an accident, but I wonder how hot they would be, wearing them in warmer weather, which is most of the time, down here in SW Florida.
I have Wranglers that are 2" longer then my regular jeans, for riding the bike. With my boots on and feet on the floorboards, they are just the right length. They also don't ride up my leg, like my regular length jeans.
Tom

Old 11-18-2008, 02:00 PM
overhead
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

I honestly did not notice much difference riding in regular jeans or kevlar jeans as far as heat goes.

Old 11-18-2008, 02:16 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I just did some pavement surfing last week after a hit n run driver took me out on the freeway... I skidded flat on my back at 65 mph or so for what seemed like forever til I came to a stop. Other than minor road rash on my lower back (cuz the leather jacket rode up a lil bit due to how I was sliding feet-first) and bruising I'm OK - my gear did it's job - ESPECIALLY the leather lined Cortech jeans I was wearing. If it weren't for those jeans I'd have been in for some serious rash on my A$$. The right buttock area of those jeans is half gone. That leather panel is the only thing left. I'd have had some major rash if it weren't for that panel.

Look into Kevlar or leather lined riding jeans. The Cortech jeans I wear have leather in the seat area and the knee area. They also have removable CE armor knee panels. They're around $80 and may save you ALOT of hurtin' if you go down. Rash heals SLOW and it hurts... Cortech DSX jeans.

Quick Reply: Good jeans for riding