General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FXDX T-Sport

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 09:40 AM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 614 Likes on 383 Posts
Default FXDX T-Sport

Owning multiple bikes is the only way I've found to get the qualities I want in a motorcycle. I like to tour. My Ultra Classic is comfortable, but it's heavy and slow, which becomes frustrating on twisty roads. My BMW is fast and nimble, but it lacks the Harley's good looks, comfortable ergos, luggage capacity and wind protection.

I wish Harley would bring back the FXDX T-Sport. This bike had excellent lean angle, nimble steering, generous power, comfortable seat, good wind protection and ample storage.

The T-Sport was created with twisty mountain roads in mind. A friend of mine used to ride one. During long trips we'd swap bikes. I often found it hard to return his bike. Is there anything in Harley's lineup that represents a lighter-weight touring option?

Last edited by Geoff; 12-22-2008 at 09:42 AM.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:54 AM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 430 Likes on 258 Posts

Hope this thread brings out the few T-Sport owners out there; I've only seen 1 other in my part of the country. With a few mod's; I'm sure happy with mine (before and after pics included)...HD didn't sell many and they were relatively expensive; doubt they would try the "Sport Touring" waters again.

Attached Thumbnails FXDX T-Sport-my-fxdxt.jpg   FXDX T-Sport-solo-bagger.jpg  
Old 12-22-2008, 10:06 AM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member

An article I read in Cycle World magazine said sport touring is a declining market segment. Perhaps this is why Harley doesn't offer a sport tourer. I suppose one could mount bags and a shield on a Dyna Super Glide, but it just wouldn't be the same as a T-Sport.

Old 12-22-2008, 10:16 AM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 430 Likes on 258 Posts

The wife has bags and shield on her '08 FXDL, but your right; it's not a "Sport Tourer". That said, the frame is stock Dyna 28 degree rake on mine; the same components could be bolted onto a FXD 01-05 (Not FXDL or FXDWG). If I had to replace my bike I'd likely get another '02 Dyna and do something like that, especially with an eye to beefing up the motor...
The sport touring market seems to be getting eclipsed by the bagger/cruiser style, both metric and HD. Whatever the market wants, they'll get. There is still options for riders like me, though...but some wrenching required. Actually; it would cost less to build my FXDXT up now than it was a few years ago when I did it. Used bikes are cheap and lot's of low milers out there.

Old 12-22-2008, 10:27 AM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member

You're right. Most people prefer the laid back ergos of a cruiser over a sport tourer. Thing about the T Sport was it brigded both worlds, offering cruiser styling and sport bike handling and lean angle. Clean used T Sports are hard to find. Seems like people who have them keep em.

Old 12-22-2008, 10:43 AM
Chicago 03 King
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Geoff, glad to see you moved the topic over here from CLC. I did see one or two of them on Craigslist over the summer, but they wanted high $$ because they were "rare" and "one of a kind" and had some miles on them. I just laugh some times when it was a model that didn't sell the first time around so now people are asking rediculous amounts used becuase the bike wasn't marketable!?!

Old 12-22-2008, 10:44 AM
Streets of Fire
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoff
Clean used T Sports are hard to find. Seems like people who have them keep em.
--I looked for a while and never found one for sale within driving distance to look at in person. I ended up with my Lowrider that has the windshield / bags / sissy bar. Not quite the T Sport, but still a good day ride bike.

Old 12-22-2008, 10:54 AM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Chicago 03 King
Geoff, glad to see you moved the topic over here from CLC. I did see one or two of them on Craigslist over the summer, but they wanted high $$ because they were "rare" and "one of a kind" and had some miles on them. I just laugh some times when it was a model that didn't sell the first time around so now people are asking rediculous amounts used becuase the bike wasn't marketable!?!
Good to see you here. You'll find there are few Harley riders on CLC, which limits discussions. Mention a shovel or a pan and they'll think you're talkin' household devices.

Old 12-22-2008, 11:03 AM
Chicago 03 King
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoff
Good to see you here. You'll find there are few Harley riders on CLC, which limits discussions. Mention a shovel or a pan and they'll think you're talkin' household devices.
Yea, signed up here when I found a few things on the classifieds after I bought the new bike a few weeks back. Been around HD's since i was 6-7, but finally got one of my own. Maybe this summer I'll get a chance to meet you in person on one of the rides or something, I've only meet a few of the guys over there.

But as you know bike hunting in Chicago isn't the greatest because everyone thinks they have "the" bike and refuses to budge on their perceived value of the bike.

Old 12-22-2008, 12:03 PM
FXDXTSport
Stellar HDF Member
Received 497 Likes on 233 Posts

Obviously, I'm biased (check out my user id) but I think the TSport is a fabulous bike. I've posted before that I think the main reason it didn't sell is because it didn't "look" like a Harley with the windshield, small fairing and nylon bags. But it is a great bike for around town, riding the twisties or long trips. I took a week in September, added a tour bag that connected to the sissy bar and took off. Rode over 400 miles every day and spent most of it on back roads. I've also gone on long trips with my brother (Ultra Classic). He can't keep up unless the road is straight I bought mine new in 2001 and don't plan to ever get rid of it. It runs so good, has been ultra reliable and with a different exhaust, dyna jet kit and screamin eagle air cleaner it will outrun any new stock 96.

Quick Reply: FXDX T-Sport