General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much of a Harley Davidson is made in China?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 10:44 PM
Mark g
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd bet 100% of the electronics are foreign. I'd bet alot of the bearings on the bikes are foreign too.

I saw Toyota crates in the york plant, If i'm not mistaken, I believe they do frames for Harley

Last edited by Mark g; 12-24-2008 at 10:47 PM.
Old 12-24-2008, 10:55 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

The oil is from Venezuela.

Old 12-24-2008, 11:04 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,739 Likes on 6,891 Posts

We are in a WORLD market.

Old 12-24-2008, 11:08 PM
Bumbobee
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dock Holiday
We are in a WORLD market.
That's cool, I just don't like the Chinese market and make it my everyday goal to avoid products from there.

The following users liked this post:
R@GZ (04-25-2016)
Old 12-24-2008, 11:10 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Bumbobee
85 % is good, Id be happy with that. Lights and stuff I don't care about. What I do care about is key components being made in the USA. I am looking at the situation from a safety/quality standpoint, China is not known for much of anything quality wise, much less mechinal things. If the forks or brakes are from Japan, I guess that is cool because the Japanese know their **** Same with European countries.
Anything manufactured anywhere, is made to a spec. If the quality is poor, it was spec'd that way.

Old 12-24-2008, 11:12 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark g
I saw Toyota crates in the york plant, If i'm not mistaken, I believe they do frames for Harley
That would seem odd, as I don't think Toyota makes Toyota frame components, so it would seem weird for them to make frames or frame components for someone else.

Old 12-24-2008, 11:34 PM
Bumbobee
Cruiser

Originally Posted by MidnitEvil
That would seem odd, as I don't think Toyota makes Toyota frame components, so it would seem weird for them to make frames or frame components for someone else.
Too bad because Toyota cars are tanks!

Old 12-25-2008, 12:35 AM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 7/11 The Crapshooter
When it comes to mechanical things like engines, transmissions cars, trucks and such I would agree. However, when it comes to toys like die cast motorcycles, miniature trains and the likes, their quality and ability to mimic the original puts the Japanese to shame....
Labor costs are far too high in Japan to them to compete in the toy markets you cited.

Old 12-25-2008, 01:13 AM
Bumbobee
Cruiser

Who cares about toys, the new generation of kids plays with them till they are in grade 2 and then it's all TV and YouTube from there on under the watchful eye of the over protective mom that shuttles them everywhere because there are 100 rapists hiding in the bushes ready to pop the **** out.

Old 12-25-2008, 01:27 AM
Eyespy
Road Warrior
Location: Southern California High Desert, here and there....
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

According to the book by Wayne T. Price, "How to Buy American, Second Edition", Harley-Davidson motorcycles are listed as 95% American made. The AFL-CIO, The Union Label and Service Trades Department lists Harley-Davidson as an American Union made product. Each H-D motorcycle bears the PACE and Machinists Union label on it's frame. This means that it is a predominately American manufactured product, not an American assembled product.
Where it is true that some parts on the Harley-Davidson motorcycle are made outside the United States, the company tries very hard to procure American products when it can. It manufactures many of it's own parts right here in the good ole US of A. It is American owned, American made and Union supported.

Quick Reply: How much of a Harley Davidson is made in China?