General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley's new incentive for Sportster owners

Old 12-27-2008, 08:02 AM
AZ Rider
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Harley's new incentive for Sportster owners

Full MSRP value when you trade up to a big twin or V-Rod. Not bad.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/wcm/C...p?locale=en_US

The fine print...

Current owners of Model Year 07, 08, and 09 Sportsters 883 or 1200:

This offer applies to the current titled owner ("owner") of a MY 2007, 2008 or 2009 Sportster 883 or 1200 ("qualifying existing motorcycle") as of December 25, 2008.

The owner of a qualifying existing motorcycle has the option to trade in the qualifying motorcycle from December 26, 2008 through March 31, 2009, value towards the purchase of a Harley Big Twin.

The MSRP value used for trade-in will be the original factory-delivered MSRP (including factory installed options) of the qualifying new motorcycle excluding parts and accessories, taxes, titles, licenses, set-up/prep charges, Extended Service Plan, GAP coverage and any dealer add-ons, and regardless of the amount actually paid.

The owner must have valid title of the qualifying existing motorcycle to qualify for this offer and must be the current owner of the vehicle as of December 25, 2008.

The trade-in can only be used for Harley Big Twin motorcycles, which includes all Touring, Softail, Dyna, VRSC models. Excludes XR1200 & Police Models. Only one claim per VIN is eligible.

The owner is responsible for the difference between the trade-in value of the qualifying existing motorcycle and the purchase price of the Harley-Davidson Big Twin.

Trade-in must be a stock vehicle in good condition and good working order. Tires, suspension, engine, and transmission must all be within factory specifications and are subject to inspection by the participating H-D dealer. Vehicle exterior cannot reflect neglect or abuse. The participating H-D dealer will make the sole determination regarding whether the trade-in is in good working condition and good working order.

The owner is responsible for all costs of operating and maintaining the qualifying existing motorcycle prior to trade-in.

This offer may not be combined with any other promotions, offers or discounts.

This offer is not transferable and is not redeemable in cash

Last edited by AZ Rider; 12-27-2008 at 08:04 AM.
Old 12-27-2008, 08:07 AM
CamFX
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Its nothing new, I remember HD doing this back in the mid Eighties. Its amazing how much the MOCO can either afford to lose on each sporty or how much profit margin is built into the Big Twins

Old 12-27-2008, 08:14 AM
Boo67
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My guess is it's reflective of the profit margin...regardless, if you're looking to trade, it's a good deal.

Old 12-27-2008, 08:19 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 279 Likes on 214 Posts

Agree is a great incentive for ones wishing to trade for a bigger model and havn't spent a ton on Mods yet.. MSRP for my 04 is around 4,000 think will be stuck with it forever which is not a bad thing no such thing as too many harleys wish could afford a couple more LOL

Old 12-27-2008, 08:19 AM
jagator
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have seen this. I am going down to the local dealer today to check it out. Thanks for the link.

Old 12-27-2008, 08:21 AM
Boo67
Outstanding HDF Member

Not every dealer is offering it, but my friend went to a dealer just to pick up some g.c.'s (not the dealer where she bought her bike) and they offered it to her anyway. She didn't even know about it. She's going to trade he Nightster for a V-Rod.

Old 12-27-2008, 08:39 AM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,658 Likes on 943 Posts

Possibly the same reasons they can lease police bikes to municipalities for $1 a year. There is a ready market for used bikes, and entry level riders (apologies to Sporty riders that are not new riders) make some of the best upgrade prospects a year or so down the road.

Something else to consider: as sales slump during slow economic times, the MoCo has to remember that they are in the business of making and selling motorcycles. If they stop, or slow down so much that their other lines of business are crippled, they are done forever. Giving up a little on the upgrade to a Big-Twin or Vrod will have a positive impact on back end business: financing, accessories, clothing, gear and service.

The back end businesses are all cash generators. That is, beyond short term inventory carrying costs there is little or no investment. When building the bikes themselves, a significant part of what it "costs" to build the bike is amortization and depreciation, non-cash expenses. As long as they are selling the bike for more than their cash expenses (labor, materials, etc.) they can maintain production and market share. Harley can not be successful as a boutique manufacturer any longer. Producing to capacity is a big concern. Obviously in the long run this strategy does not allow for expansion and recapitalization of facilities, but to get you through a short period of distress it is an excellent strategy.

Old 12-27-2008, 09:09 AM
walther
Stage II
Default I have a 2007 1200 Custom I might trade in

MSRP on my 2007 was $10,615 with two tone paint & the wheel option. I haven't put anything into it other than a backrest and windshield. I paid $9,150 plus tax & lic for it in July 2007.

Went to St. Paul Harley, MN, yesterday and they said they weren't participating in the program. The salesperson complained all the factory was giving them was $1,000 towards the trade so they would be losing money.

He asked if I bought the bike from them and I said no because they were $650 higher than the dealer across the river in Wisconsin. Then he really got agitated and complained "not only did you not buy the Sportster from us so we made a few bucks, no you want to come in here and have us lose money on this program".

I told him that was two strikes against his dealership; 1) they were $650 higher than the competition in 2007 and 2) I was going to do a bike deal that day for a big twin but now I am ticked off.

PS: It sure looks to me like the program should include freight on the MSRP but the salesman, working for a dealer that doesn't even participate, claimed freight on the trade was not included in the deal.

So should I go to the next participating dealer and trade for a 2009 Fat Boy or is that a mistake?

Old 12-27-2008, 09:13 AM
confederate
Most Wanted
Received 806 Likes on 392 Posts

Sounds like a fair offer at this point for those interested in doing so. Since I bought the bike I wanted, this isn't something I'm wanting to do. I traded my BT to get this bike. Never mind the upgrades that I've done and the fact that I OWN it.

Old 12-27-2008, 09:21 AM
JacktheBagger
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

yeah they have done this several times in the past .. Wud seem that all dealers wud participate , then maybe , yours isnt , because you didnt get it there ..

Tho I realize the boutique has given them some easy money , I am too old school and liked it better before the boutique ..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Harley's new incentive for Sportster owners