General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What so hot about Air Cooled?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 09:42 PM
StreetGlider57
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What so hot about Air Cooled?

Why do experienced Harley riders prefer the air-cooled motor over a water-cooled one? I'm not trying to start a pi$$ing match here, I'm just wondering in what areas the air cooled engine is better. Physically water will take the heat away from the cylinders faster than air. Is it styling issue with the radiator? Are air-cooled engines easier to maintain? Is it that water-cooling is not necessary with Harley's lower running RPMs?

Old 01-04-2009, 09:49 PM
ElectraDave
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

If ya have to ask, you wouldn't understand...

Old 01-04-2009, 09:52 PM
meveratt
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would bet its that air-cooled is percieved as simpler to work on. A lot of HD owners (old-timers especially) like to work on their own bikes, and view water cooling and a radiator as needless complexity. Some even prefer carbs!!

That said, my first M/C was a 1980 Honda CX500 -- water cooled -- and you still see lot on the streets even today. 9000rpm with pushrods, and great reliability! I would have no problem buying a water cooled HD tour bike, and yes, I think its just a matter of time before we see them. Perhaps the new frame is the basis for that?

FWIW, I do like to wrench on my own vehicles; water cooling might add some complexity, but I think it would be worth it power-wise.

Old 01-04-2009, 09:52 PM
StreetGlider57
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ElectraDave
???
I don't know the answer. That is why I asked the question.

Last edited by StreetGlider57; 01-04-2009 at 10:03 PM.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:57 PM
sonar_chris
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ElectraDave
Thats the answer people give when they can't think of a good one.

Originally Posted by StreetGlider57
Why do experienced Harley riders prefer the air-cooled motor over a water-cooled one? I'm not trying to start a pi$$ing match here, I'm just wondering in what areas the air cooled engine is better. Physically water will take the heat away from the cylinders faster than air. Is it styling issue with the radiator? Are air-cooled engines easier to maintain? Is it that water-cooling is not necessary with Harley's lower running RPMs?
Well air cooled motors are preferred by a lot of people because they have less things to go wrong. There is no water pump, no maintenance, less fluids to leak. I also have to disagree with saying water takes heat away faster than air. A mass of water is harder to heat than the same mass of air. There are disadvantages to air cooled motors, such as looser engine tolerances(can be considered a plus to some much like the loose tolerances on an AK-47 which allow it to function no matter what). HD does have 2 water cooled engines, Vrod and Buell 1125R (Rotax made), so if you want HD and water, there you go.

Old 01-04-2009, 10:02 PM
Solitaree1
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sonar_chris
Thats the answer people give when they can't think of a good one.

I also have to disagree with saying water takes heat away faster than air. A mass of water is harder to heat than the same mass of air. .
Guessing from the handle you're a navy guy. Think about it for a minute. Spend 30 minutes in 40 degree water and you're damn near dead. Cause the heat transfer is quicker Versus spending 30 minutes in 40 degree air and I go put on a jacket.

but yes, the water has a thermal capacity or thermal resistance (slower to change) than air does. BTW, sorry about your paper the other day, some guys are just jerks. Even if they say they aren't.

Old 01-04-2009, 10:11 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,211 Likes on 461 Posts

(Snip some)

I also have to disagree with saying water takes heat away faster than air. A mass of water is harder to heat than the same mass of air.

(Snip some more)
Chris, I now know why you're a twidgett instead of a snipe.

Old 01-04-2009, 10:17 PM
sonar_chris
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pococj
Chris, I now know why you're a twidgett instead of a snipe.
Hey everyone makes mistakes. I was right about thermal resistance though, ya got to give me that one. Besides, I was smart enough to get a job in the air conditioning when were in the Persian Gulf.

Old 01-04-2009, 10:27 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,211 Likes on 461 Posts

Hey everyone makes mistakes. I was right about thermal resistance though, ya got to give me that one. Besides, I was smart enough to get a job in the air conditioning when were in the Persian Gulf.
LOL, that's what my boy (Tomahawk FC) says when I kid him about being a twidgett.

Old 01-04-2009, 10:27 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,220 Likes on 4,770 Posts

Men breath air...Fish breath air through water..Only fish should have a water cooled Harley.

Quick Reply: What so hot about Air Cooled?