General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Is the info in jack clearance and usage helpful?
Yes
50.00%
No
6.25%
Lighten up Francis
18.75%
Dude, where did all of that wind come from?
25.00%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Ultimate Lift/Jack Comparison, Information

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 09:31 PM
hogdevil
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ultimate Lift/Jack Comparison, Information

Let's take a shot at satire and see if we can provide a truckload of useful information at the same time.

Like many others I came to this forum to get information about which lift would be best for my motorcycle. I read the several hundred postings and responses to learn something about lifts/jacks. The discussion was lively to say the least and I became completely intrigued and just kept reading. While reading the forum facts condensed out and an idea for helpful humor struck.

One poster in another thread suggested that someone create a contest or other comparison of jacks and call it something like the "First Motorcycle Lift/Jack Off" so this is it...the "First Motorcycle Lift/Jack Off." The winner is the person who reads this post and gets the right jack for them the first time with no regrets, no problems, and no buyers remorse. We're all buying jacks for different needs so maybe this will help pair the right jacks with the buyer's intended use and budget.

I'll summarize and categorize all of the prior posts then outline how we all should respond. There are many camps (groups of people with the same opinion/experience).

I'll be the first to respond and the "First Motorcycle Lift/Jack Off" is under way. Tell the community which jack you bought, why, and how you use it.

Camps
Cleaners / Light Wrenchers
These people need a lift/jack to move the bike around their garages, perform cleaning, do oil changes, and other minor maintenance. No heavy work here.

Heavy Wrenchers
These people do all of activities of Cleaners / Light Wrenchers and go much farther doing heavy maintenance and performing modifications of their bikes. Superior rock solid stability of the bike on the rack is critical for this camp.

Buy Americans
This group will only buy an American made product such as those from Pitbull and J&S Jacks. Heavy Wrenchers are most likely Buy Americans since these "big iron" products are the only lifts/jacks with their desired stability.

Economizers
This camp is looking for a good deal and are seeking an adequate lift/jack at the lowest price. "Chinese" made products are OK with this crowd. I say adequate because cost is the issue with these guys. They are likely Klugers (see below) also which somehow makes perfect sense. Cool down. This is satire so stay with me here.

Klugers
Have a lift/jack that is too high to fit under their bike so they roll the bike up on boards to increase the frame height from the floor or tip the bike off the jiffy stand to get the few extra fractions of inches to get the jack/lift under the bike. When tipping they will sit on the bike and use their right foot to move the jack or stand next to the bike holding it tipped then move the jack under the bike with one hand or a foot. The bike might wobble a bit on the lift/jack but that's OK with them since the wobble is not too bad. There are a few photos of bikes on board to get a jack under the frame in the forum.

Insurance Safety Guys
These dudes have expensive bikes and won't trust the safety of their $20K-$40K bike to a $130 lift. They want "big iron" with rock solid stability. They are probably both Heavy Wrenchers and Buy Americans but they primarily talk about making sure a cheap lift/jack doesn't damage their expensive bike. "Just spend the money" is their mantra. They have a very valid point......

Just Works
These guys want a lift/jack that meets their needs. Cost isn't a problem, the lift/jack just needs to work with no kluges, be safe, and not drop the bike. They could spend $79 at Harbor Freight or $400 at Pitbull and it doesn't matter. The lift/jack just needs to work with no kluges for them.

D'oh Boys
D'oh Boys sound like Homer Simpson after reading all of posts and are influnced by the very strong opinions on specific lifts/jacks and make a purchase. They get the "trendy" choice highly-recommended jack home and find out it's too tall to get under their lowered bikes. D'oh! They read "mine works" several hundred times and they had all of the information they needed. D'oh Boys are now searching for another jack and still haven't leaned to use a ruler to measure the distance from the lowest part of the frame to the floor and compare that distance to the spec sheets of the various lifts/jacks lowest stated height. They don't want to be klugers and use boards to get the bike up higher mostly because of safety issues. They are probably Economizers or Klugers also and being one of those tells us why they are D'oh Boys.

Strapless Dressers
SD's never use straps and generally deride those who do. It's hard to tell if they are Cleaners / Light Wrenchers, Heavy Wrenchers, Economizers or Insurance Safety Guys they just don't use straps, period. You are a sissy if you use straps. My [trendy choice highly-recommended] lift/jack works for me and you are a moron of you don't buy my jack. Don't use straps either you sissy. If we were still in the service they would be dressing you down right now Gomer. Get it? No straps. Dressing you down. Strapless Dressers. Hope the humor passes muster here.

Legit Beefers
This is a shout out tribute and kudos to the poster that had a failure in his red Sears Craftsman and posted the photographic evidence to prove it. Nice job dude! Extremely valuable since the red Sears Craftsman is one of those "trendy" choice highly-recommended lift/jacks mentioned frequently in this forum. That red Sears Craftsman is also frequently mentioned by D'oh Boys. At a 5" resting height (one of the highest) it's not hard to see why the red Sears Craftsman can't get under a bike. Others have described sheared bolts on the Chinese-made economy models from various vendors.

Jacks/lifts grouped by attribute:

Made in the USA
J&S
Pitbull

Expensive
J&S Jacks
Pitbull (web site doesn't give lowest height)
Harley-Davidson 94653-98

Economical
Red Sears Craftsman model# 34612
Yellow Sears Craftsman model# AG02883G
Larin ATVJ-3
Larin MAL-2C
Omega 49154
OTC 1545 Stinger
Torin Big Red T64017
Shinn Fu T2151
Harbor Freight 2792-7VGA

5 inch clearance
Torin Big Red T64017 (5 1/8 minimum clearance)

4 1/2 inch clearance
Larin ATVJ-3
Harley-Davidson 94653-98
Omega 49154
Shinn Fu T2151
Harbor Freight 2792-7VGA
K&L Supply Co. MC550 37-9885 (this jack being sold in a HD dealership in Arizona)

4 inch clearance
J&S Jacks

3 1/2 inch clearance
Yellow Sears Craftsman model# AG02883G
OTC 1545 Stinger

3 inch clearance
None found.

2 1/2 inch clearance
Larin MAL-2C

To help those searching for a jack/lift that meets their needs, follow this example and post information about your bike, your lift/jack, why you purchased the jack/lift, what you do with the bike on the lift/jack, and your experience with your lift/jack.

Hopefully your detailed experience will provide actionable information for those seeking the right tool for their job.

BIKES
Kawasaki KZ125A 1974
5.5 inches frame to concrete on the kick stand
No other modifications

Sportster 883 Custom 2005
4.9 inches frame to concrete on the jiffy stand
No other modifications

Road King Classic 2006
4 1/2 inches frame to concrete on the jiffy stand
Harley-Davidson Lowering kits 54631-02B (rear) and 54514-05 (front)

JACKS
Had this originally for the Kawasaki. Worked OK but a little wobbly for the Sportster. Unacceptable for the Road King Classic. The photo of the failure posted here increased the pucker factor significantly. https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/160786-craftsman-bike-jack.html

Larin MAL-2C
Read this forum and bought the MAL-2C. Followed the advice of another poster and bought some Grade 5 bolts. Liked the photographs and comments on stability from the outriggers mentioned by another poster. 2 1/2 inch height was lowest I could find so I knew it would get under the bike with room for additional lowering of the bike.

USAGE AND EXPERIENCE

My Camps:
  • Cleaner / Light Wrencher
  • Just Works
All I want to do with the lift is clean the wheels and change the oil with no kluges. Light wrenching here and there occasionally but no heavy wrenching or maintenance.

Kawasaki: The Red Sears Craftsman model# 34612 fit under the Kawasaki with no problem. Didn't care about dropping the bike but never did. Always used straps.

Sportster: Had to slightly tip the Sportster to get the red Sears Craftsman under the bike. Used straps and was never comfortable with the balance of the bike on that lift. It was always a little wobbly.

Road King Classic: Balances great on the Larin MAL-2C lift. Straps add stability and confidence. Outriggers add stability and confidence. Grade 5 bolts provides piece of mind. Good value. Tried tipping the bike to get the red Sears Craftsman under the frame and didn't like kluging due to safety. No tipping of the big bike for me. Red Sears Craftsman wouldn't fit after lowering the bike anyway.

What I didn't buy and why.
  • Didn't buy the J&S Jacks because the resting height was 4 inches. If I lowered the RKC again that bike may be too low for the jack. Cost was not the choice point. The Sportster may be heading for big time lowering in the near future. 4 inches is pretty high for a low bike. Really liked the pictures of stability on their web site though.
  • Didn't buy the Pitbull because the resting height was not on the spec sheet on the internet so I didn't know the clearance. Cost was not the choice point. Could have called them but didn't because the specs were not on the web site which is way too easy to do since every other lift regardless of cost has this info posted.
  • Didn't buy the Harley-Davidson since the resting height was 4 1/2 inches and the lowered RKC is just at 4 1/2 inches. No room for additional lowering of the RKC or the Sportster. Liked the crank instead of the hydraulic bottle to lift and lower the bike.
Anything that would cause a kludge was out of the running. Considered the yellow Sears Craftsman model# AG02883G with a compressed height of 3 1/2 inches but favored the outrigger stability and 2 1/2 inch clearance of the Larin MAL-2C.

Hope this helps anyone searching for the right lift/jack. Hope others can provide similar experience and purchase decision criteria to further the knowledge.

Last edited by hogdevil; 01-17-2009 at 08:06 PM. Reason: Added a jack being sold at a HD dealership
Old 01-06-2009, 09:54 PM
EZ48
Extreme HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 2 Posts

About me:

Camps- DILLIGAF's, Light Wrenchers
Sign: Gemini
Height: 6'2"
Weight: Classified
Children: 3

My choice: Torin Big Red

My reasoning: it was $79, lived up to it's name (big and red) and it was $79.

Old 01-06-2009, 10:39 PM
Juno
Banned

When's the last time you shaved?

Old 01-07-2009, 09:49 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Gots ta admit, ya done yur 'hoamwerk', Son. Not only that, ya hit the nail, too.

So, let me understand ;
If Billy is 6' 4", and 48 yrs old, and his wife is 5' 7" and 45 yrs old, What color is their living room carpet?

No, I won't put my 10 ft chopper on your 'red' jack.
Here's ALL the proof ya need.
Grab that Sears 'Red' or that thar Harbor Freight, and LET"S RACE!!!!!!!

Old 01-07-2009, 09:53 AM
97FXSTSB
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 11 Posts

Whoa...I couldn't even get through a quarter of all that.

Old 01-07-2009, 10:56 AM
hogdevil
Novice
Default Extra Info Needed

Originally Posted by EZ48
About me:

Camps- DILLIGAF's, Light Wrenchers
Sign: Gemini
Height: 6'2"
Weight: Classified
Children: 3

My choice: Torin Big Red

My reasoning: it was $79, lived up to it's name (big and red) and it was $79.
EZ48: thanks for the response and the humor. I really liked your purchase criteria!

:: Humor On ::

Having chosen the Torin Big Red for $79 that means you are also in the Economizer camp. A quick review of the specs says you are probably a Kluger also (see below). Being an Economizer and Kluger it sounds like you are not a D'oh Boy as you knew what you were getting into with the Torin.

:: Humor Off ::

The Torin must be great for light wrenching.

The HD spec sheet on the Street Glide has ground clearance at 4.7 inches. The spec sheet on the Torin Big Red has minimum clearance at 5 1/8 inches. On paper the lift/jack is too high to fit under your bike.

Have you lowered your bike or is the bike still at the factory delivered height?

Can you confirm that you kluge by tipping the bike or run the wheels up on boards to get the lift/jack under your bike?

Knowing how you get the lift/jack under your street glide helps others looking to make the same purchase for their Street Glide and not be a D'oh Boy.

Last edited by hogdevil; 01-07-2009 at 11:33 AM. Reason: (typo) 4.9 inches should have been 4.7 inches
Old 01-07-2009, 12:03 PM
EZ48
Extreme HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 2 Posts

Ya got bad data. My stock SG has clearance of 6" and the Torin jack is 4 7/8". It slides right under, just need to tilt the bike off the jiffy stand a bit to get the jack fully centered. No kludges required.

Old 01-07-2009, 01:13 PM
hogdevil
Novice

Originally Posted by EZ48
Ya got bad data. My stock SG has clearance of 6" and the Torin jack is 4 7/8". It slides right under, just need to tilt the bike off the jiffy stand a bit to get the jack fully centered. No kludges required.
Nicely done. Lesson learned. The paperwork isn't always right. Break out the ruler and know for sure with your own two eyes.

The HD web site shows a 2008 Street Glide to have a ground clearance of 4.7 inches.

This web site for the Torin Model # T64017 shows the rack at 5 1/8 inches.
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200326249_200326249

Last edited by hogdevil; 01-07-2009 at 01:19 PM. Reason: update the facts
Old 01-07-2009, 04:11 PM
FXSTDSE2
Outstanding HDF Member

Camps:
Heavy wrenches
Just works
Bikes:
See sig
+ friends bikes
Jack:
Harbor Freight 2792-7VGA

The old one I bought broke. I paid $25 for it at a yard sale and I can't tell you what brand it was other then it was gray. So I needed a new jack and ran down to HF and pick it up. Luck for me it was on sale for $59.95. Pulled it out of the box and put the couple of bolts in, put on the handle and put it to use. The Deuce was lowered a inch so I use a 2X4 under the jiffy stand to slip it under. although it has rubber on the arms, I put rags on them when I lift the Deuce to try not to scratch the frame like someone is going to be looking under there. I've had it some 5 years now and used the hell out of it without a single problem. The only time stability came into play was when trying to remove the front pulley nut off the main drive gear with a breaker bar and a 5' iron pipe. Had my girl sit on the front fender and I stood on the breaker bar and bounced and the damn thing broke. The breaker bar that is. Luckily it was a Snap-On and I had it replaced for free. It rolls pretty good on a smooth floor but is hard on plywood and rough cement. Lifting the Ultra 1/2" inch from rear of frame is best placement and gives access to all drain plugs. Lifting Deuce, front arm under motor center is best.foot pump and foot operated release make it hands free other then sliding it under.

I didn't buy any other jack because I needed one now and the only other two available were the sears yellow (too wobbly) and the sears read which looks very chintzy.

Old 01-07-2009, 07:08 PM
krusr
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My eyes crossed about half way through.

Good info for those interested.

Quick Reply: Ultimate Lift/Jack Comparison, Information