General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint Job in my Nightster's Future - what would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 03:01 PM
SuburbanMom
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cool Paint Job in my Nightster's Future - what would you do?

My husband's big Christmas/30th birthday gift to me is a custom paint job for my Nightster. I have researched photos of custom paint jobs on Harleys but don't know what I should do since my fuel tank (and fenders) is/are so much smaller than the rest of the Harley tanks (and fenders). I like flames, especially the realistic kind. I like skulls. Saw some grim reapers on some bike tanks that were incredible. Not into fairies, clowns, checkers, wolves, tribal stuff, etc. I REALLY like the flat black and silver stock paint and I did find ONE example of some tins with flat black paint and ghost flames but the flames looked odd (to me) without a glossy clear coat. I saw someone's Nightster with an orange pearl paint job and it looked nice but I'm not into copying someone else's bike, especially when a friend of mine painted his car (which was the same model/make as mine) in the chromalusion paints after I painted mine and showed him (yeah, shut up, I used to drive a ricer car back in my college days!).

So how would you all paint a Nightster? I'm thinking about having all tins painted flat black and then having something painted onto the tank but....?? How would you paint this "something?" Would you have it take over nearly all the tank? Just the middle? Just the sides? What colors would you use? Keep it glossy or flat paint (or a mix?)? I may be a suburban mom but I've had the love of cars/bikes/adrenaline my entire life. I have my feminine qualities but I like naughty too (can't be too naughty with kids around though). Please keep in mind the SIZE of my little ol' tank! I have the feeling that some designs could overwhelm my small tank. Right now I have big tank envy.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll probably wake up one morning with "it" but am interested in any feedback from my fellow riders. You all rock!

Last edited by SuburbanMom; 01-08-2009 at 03:04 PM.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:29 PM
RockyTopRider
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

flat black with gloss black flames. imho, i really like the stock nighster paint. post up pics when you get it done.

Old 01-08-2009, 03:32 PM
lanceo70
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have always like the flat black base coat with a little bit of gloss flames, like a black gloss, or some other deep color. For me, I would keep it simple to keep t he nightsters character....have fun!!!

Old 01-08-2009, 03:41 PM
Eyeball Kid
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 357 Likes on 252 Posts

Unless you have many more mods done on a Nightster, I'd keep it simple.

IMHO, a glossy/flashy paint job on an otherwise stock Nightster would look out of place.

Perhaps an Exile style flame job, or like these...

Instead of two-tone top and bottom, do a two-tone one-around-the-other.

Old 01-08-2009, 03:45 PM
SavannahBob
Tourer

Well, what do you think?

JUST KIDDING!

Attached Thumbnails Paint Job in my Nightster's Future - what would you do?-pink_harley_davidson1.jpg  
Old 01-08-2009, 03:58 PM
SuburbanMom
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Funny, Bob!

Great suggestions, thanks. I am keeping the body flat black. I love the flat black retro bobber look. I just saw something on a website, thought about a similar design idea for my tank (but in no way even remotely close to the same) and have "it!" Now I just need to take my idea to the shop and have them envision it like it is in my head.

Thanks again, everyone. I'll post photos whenever this project gets done (hopefully sooner than later!).

Old 01-08-2009, 04:25 PM
badlandr
Road Captain

I would go with flat black tank with a classy looking pin up girl painted on the top middle and an old school sytle script Harley Davidson painted on the tank sides. you could even get them to use your face and features on the pin up picture. I think that would be cool!

Old 01-08-2009, 07:51 PM
57RebelRocker
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the flat black look is great for your bike

Old 01-08-2009, 07:55 PM
RockyTopRider
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would go with flat black tank with a classy looking pin up girl painted on the top middle and an old school sytle script Harley Davidson painted on the tank sides. you could even get them to use your face and features on the pin up picture. I think that would be cool!

Old 01-08-2009, 08:40 PM
WDR
Cruiser

Ive always liked flat black with gloss black pin stripes, but I plan on painting my Ironhead/Flyrite flat white with gloss white pin stripes when I finish it up. Just to be different than all the rest of the black bikes out there.

Quick Reply: Paint Job in my Nightster's Future - what would you do?