General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you get Road King Gas cap Off?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 07:05 AM
Just Dave
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Once you do get it off, make sure that you stop by Burger KIng and park right by the door and stand next to your bike for a really long time.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:06 AM
glebo
Grand HDF Member

Received 995 Likes on 326 Posts

OMFG, this thread is killin' me Hilarious.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:07 AM
RoadKing_Bob
Tourer
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts
Exclamation my gas cap problem

This could be an honest question, my last RK's (an 06 custom) gas cap sometimes in the summer would just turn and click, and I'm not talking about while tightening it either. I replaced it as soon as possible for fear of having to use that special Harley gas cap removal tool pictured earlier in this thread. I can also ad a special note to pay attention while fueling your bike, Once I was at the station with my daughter with a newly bought 03 anniv. Soft Tail and while fueling up, another nice looking bike pulled in, which allowed my eyes to wander and I did not notice that the pump nozzel pulled up just enough to spray fuel backwards off the inlet baffle, both my daughter and I was covered in a fine mist of fuel, which was not very safe not to mention the irritation of the gas on the skin, and needless to say not only did I feel like a fool I looked the part.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:23 AM
ptl203
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I will hesitantly admit, my 08 Fatty's gas cap was extremely difficult to remove for my first fill up. It seemed like the chrome cap was spinning but the threads weren't. Needless to say, 50 miles from home and on an 1/8 tank I was slightly worried. But let me say this, never, ever would I post a thread asking how to remove a gas cap...figure it out yourself, spare yourself the embarassment. In the future, save yourself the torturous replies and think before you type. But thanks for the laughs

Old 01-13-2009, 07:25 AM
MRJ_USN VET
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was going to suggest a pipe wrench but that would damage the chrome. Then I realized it could be a legit question if the person has arthritis. May want to try one of those rubber jar openers. You could keep it with the bike.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:25 AM
BobStreetBob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Harley Road KIngs and other touring bikes come equipped ('09's) with an automated gas cap. The reason it won't come off for you is that you still had more then 16 oz. of gasoline left in your tank. At 16 oz. it will unlock itself and twist right off. This new feature was designed to cut down the excessive oxygen that gets into the tank when opened too often, causing oxygenation to the inside walls of the tank. This leads to thinning of the tank, which apparently is not good. Just ride the bike until you hear a faint "click". That will be your cap unlocking.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:07 AM
DMas
Road Master

Originally Posted by Eyespy
Jeebus It's gonna be a friggin long winter....
You said it brotha!

I think it's safe to say y'all scared off the noob.....

Old 01-13-2009, 08:36 AM
Jambon1
Tourer

Don't listen to those idiots NewHDowner. They're only givin you a hard time.

What you have there is the new Road King E-model. It's 100% electric and does not use Gasoline. Harley has long been known for being a leader in innovation and this is the first in a long line of New Electric Models.

Congratulations on being one of the first in the Country to own one. Just don't ask me where the plug is, cause I've never owned one!

Old 01-13-2009, 08:41 AM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Removing the gas cap voids your warranty.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:01 AM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

This is exactly the sort of thing that can happen when you do not immediately purchase and study the HD service manual before even thinking about starting a new Harley. Get the manual, read it, study it and thank god you didn't try to remove the gas cap without following the proper procedure. Screwing it up could have cost you $1000s of dollars in damage and worse yet, wasted riding time.

On second thought, just take to your friendly dealer service dept. when you need to add gas. That's what I do and they only charge me $70 for 1 hour labor plus fuel cost to do it.

Last edited by carpetride; 01-13-2009 at 09:05 AM.

Quick Reply: How do you get Road King Gas cap Off?