General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need speedometer help (U.S. bike to Canada)

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 05:19 PM
RandyS
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need speedometer help (U.S. bike to Canada)

I have an 06 lowrider...bought in US....therefore the speedometer is in miles vs. kilometers....would like to change the faceplate to the Canadian version....when I go to US I would use my gps so can tell from it the mph....
thought the mph version would be fine as 62mph is a 100 km/hr........40 kmh is 24. etc...but every once in a while we hit weird speed limits like 50 kmh, 70, 80 etc....and the conversion is a hassle....
Don't want to put a whole new speedo as I want to keep my bike mileage accurate and thought it would be cheaper for a new faceplate if there is such an option....Any ideas????? Thanks!
Randy

Old 01-19-2009, 05:26 PM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

If it were me, I'd just buy a speedo on Ebay. You could keep the old one and a pic of it while on, and service records to prove actual.

Don't know if that get's you in trouble where you are, though. Here it's technically illegal, but if my speedo quit, that's what I'd do.

Old 01-19-2009, 05:27 PM
ngoti8tor
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by RandyS
Don't want to put a whole new speedo as I want to keep my bike mileage accurate
I believe the dealer can set the mileage on a new spedometer to reflect the mileage on it now. I says on the HD site that it can be done on the HD spedometer/tachometer. It may be possible with other units.

Old 01-19-2009, 05:28 PM
RandyS
Tourer

where on line would I find what one is worth...store is 3 hours away but also closed now...just for reference sakes...thanks

Old 01-19-2009, 05:29 PM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ngoti8tor
I believe the dealer can set the mileage on a new spedometer to reflect the mileage on it now. I says on the HD site that it can be done on the HD spedometer/tachometer.
I don't know about the stock speedo. The factory can issue a new one set to current miles through the dealer, but it's expensive and a hassle. I looked into it and gave up.

Old 01-19-2009, 05:33 PM
gwalsh
Advanced

I went thru the same thing as you. I got a new speedo from Zanottis in the US. You give them the mileage and the converted amount you want on the new speedo and they order one from the factory all set up. Its an easy switch to.

If I remember correctly it was about $160USD for my softail

Old 01-19-2009, 05:39 PM
7/11 The Crapshooter
Road Warrior

Rather than spend the time and money or hassle, why not just go by every 10K or so?

30 to 50K is 20-30mph; school zones
40 to 50K is 25-30mph; residential streets
60 to 70K is 37-44mph; typical traffic limits in towns
80K is 50mph; most 2 lane roads outside of town
100K is 62mph; multi lane highways
120K is 75mph; ticket time, slow down.

Seems pretty easy to me....

Old 01-19-2009, 05:51 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,309 Likes on 2,356 Posts

After traveling thru Ontario, Canada last Oct. just hoping my little conversion table I had taped to the windshield would work. Had a few mounties, provincial police and local police giving me the once over going thru the small towns, did I mention I had the Stars and Stripes flying proudly on the bike, but no problems. Why not E-mail Rocky's in London, Ontario your concerns since your shop is closed. Seemed like a pretty nice place when I stopped in.

Old 01-19-2009, 06:24 PM
Trailfndr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JBaker421
I don't know about the stock speedo. The factory can issue a new one set to current miles through the dealer, but it's expensive and a hassle. I looked into it and gave up.

I had a new Speedo for the wifes Deluxe. Ordered thru Zanottis. They sent me an e-mail asking the current milage, I replied, and had the new speedo inside of 2 weeks, set and ready to go. Didn't cost a dime extra...

PLease explain how that is expensive or a hassle? Or did your particular dealer just not want to do it?

Old 01-19-2009, 06:32 PM
ngoti8tor
Outstanding HDF Member

Here's an example:

67566-05A Nostalgic Face Speedometer

Maintain the clean view over the handlebar. This unique Combination Speedometer/Tachometer allows you to monitor engine speed without adding a handlebar-mounted tach. The unit mounts in the stock dash opening and is a direct plug-in installation. Styled to match the Nostalgic Face gauges. The backlit face aids night viewing, and the gauge features an easy-to-read LCD odometer/tripmeter. Mileage reinstatement is available through your dealer.

Quick Reply: Need speedometer help (U.S. bike to Canada)