General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this the right time?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 05:48 PM
rydermike
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is this the right time?

Is this the right time for the MoCo to do something actually bold? Like get an entry level bike selection? Maybe using some of thier recently aqcuired european manufactuers smaller engines in american designed & styled bikes?

Looking thru the threads like "what did you strart riding on", it seems a HUGE numer started on bikes well under 500cc , several on 50cc's & mini bikes , even.Extra bonus , is thses are the kind of bikes that usually give 80-100 mpg , thus pleasing those in gov't that are trying to force that crap , might even benificial when holding handout for the ever popular bailout.

Would also increase floor traffic , at a time where it's pretty damn slow , plus the benefit of being able to have our kids start out on a HD , so maybe they can skip over the dreaded crotch rocket learning(?) curve.

Maybe just a couple styles to start with , same engines , maybe even share frames with different swingarm & fork/suspension variations on same cc bike. I'm thinking a cruiser style and enduro ( dosen't seem to be many of those even on the market today , these wouldbe excellent for rural folks.

Old 01-26-2009, 06:16 PM
jagator
Road Master

I have always thought that would be a good idea. I know before the 09's came out their was some talk in the forums about a "starter bike", but haven't seen much on it lately.

Old 01-26-2009, 06:24 PM
Silver Ghost
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The new 883 ironhead looks like a good entry level bike to me, and it's under 8 grand to boot. It may not be a 350cc starter bike, but at least they are thinking over at HQ for something cheap and good looking that should move. I'm not a big sporty fan, I like the cruiser's, but that new ironhead is a sharp looking bike, and the price is right.

Old 01-26-2009, 06:31 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 306 Likes on 178 Posts

H-D Scooters might sell in affluent areas.

Most of us who started on the 50cc bikes were pretty young. 8yr olds don't have a lot of money to spend. The prices on most of those things is very low.
Many bikes under 500ccs are half the price of a Sportster or less.

Old 01-26-2009, 06:32 PM
Teagan
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wouldn't the Buell Blast be a starter bike or are you talking about something with a HD logo on it?

Old 01-26-2009, 09:09 PM
rydermike
Road Warrior

Actually something like the Blast would be the high end of the starter line .... provided it was made to look like a little softail , something they could do now and be an entry HD . I really imagine 100/125 starting out , to get the pre-licensed into the fold (also street legal, at least in town) from about $1700 , as far as kids with no cash..... see way too many with very expensive electronics, just carring around , not counting the high $$$ computer they prolly have in thier bedroom's. Hell in that realm could have where a parent would co-sign on a loan for a kids 1st street ride.

Old 01-26-2009, 09:19 PM
RBWIDE
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

No. It's definitely NOT the right time. Not for the Motor Company, at least. All the re-tooling, design, manufuacturing costs, etc. The last thing Harley (as a company) needs right now is an expensive failed experiment. According to what I read today, they ended up at year-end with 600M in cash, and in 2008 they burned through around 900M, so they need to conserve capital like a SOB, IMO if they expect to be around for two more years.

Old 01-26-2009, 09:32 PM
Wassup8687
Club Member

I think it'd be a good idea. Like you said it would increase traffic and you'd get the loyalty of consumers from day one as many stick with one manufacturer.

Old 01-26-2009, 09:45 PM
RBWIDE
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Harley already has a brand loyalty that is second to none. Building loyalty isn't their problem. They also have margins that NO other motorcycle OR car company can touch. However, their problem right now is too much cash out, not enough cash in. In good economic times, I think this would be a good idea also. At the moment, I don't.

Old 01-26-2009, 09:50 PM
tima
Elite HDF Member

I would have bought one in a heart beat. Had to buy a zuki 250 for the wife to learn on instead. Looks like a metric HD wanna be anyways,......Yes, I would have paid a bit more for it too I'm sure.

Quick Reply: Is this the right time?