General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Tires

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 08:10 PM
HDCPL4PLAY
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Tires

Has anyone bought tires from American Motorcycle Tire? I have emailed them twice about the age of the tires they sell and cannot get a clear answer out of them. I just don't want to buy tires that have sat around for a year or two already in some warehouse. I guess they don't want to gaurantee me the tires are within a year old.

Old 01-27-2009, 08:15 PM
P'colaHarley-17RGS
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

I'm glad you brought this up because I don't know if I would've thought about that if you hadn't.

If they won't give you a clear answer then go somewhere else.

good info... thanks.

Old 01-27-2009, 09:44 PM
stu07hd
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ordered from them last summer. I didn't consider it until I already had the tire in hand. I checked and it was about 3 months old. Not sure if that is a norm or not, but I was also warned about old stock of tires from discount places. The odd part about the one I got is it had a "parts unlimited" tag on it. Maybe stock that was bought from another vender, hence the cheaper price?

Old 01-27-2009, 11:29 PM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by HDCPL4PLAY
I just don't want to buy tires that have sat around for a year or two already in some warehouse.
I had the same worries as you a few months ago. I don't remember where, but I found a place online that had tires quite a bit cheaper than my indy could get them for. Like 100 bucks for the pair. But he knows where he gets his from and would't accept them if they were old. So I decided to eat the hundred bucks and let him have the local business.

Old 01-28-2009, 05:15 AM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member

Received 449 Likes on 244 Posts

I doubt many warehouses "know" how old any particular tire is, until the pull them from stock to fill an order. And some sellers, are "drop shippers" they order from the big distribution center upon getting your order.

I would think, unless you're buying an "off brand" tire you should be ok...given the sheer VOLUME of tires sold and used here Metzler, Dunlop, Avon, the stock is recycled often.

As tires don't last me more than 6 months for a rear, and maybe one year for the front, it's age never concerns me

Old 01-28-2009, 05:31 AM
UltraDuke
Outstanding HDF Member

i would think that the age of a tire or reliability of a tire would depend on its storage. i wonder if a tire kept in a warehouse for a year would be more reliable than say one that was kept outside for 3 mos? i imagine it would. i agree that the sheer volume of tire sales prevent the stockpiling of old tires, except the odd ball size/style/brand. but i am sure no matter where you purchase your tire, they have a return policy. if the tire is cracking or showing age, return it.

Old 01-28-2009, 05:31 AM
UltraDuke
Outstanding HDF Member

btw. +1 for american moto tire. thats where i get mine. if that means anything to anybody.

Old 01-28-2009, 07:11 AM
Centerline
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I have purchased tires from American Motorcycle Tires for my KTM 950 Adventure. Nice new tires. Have purchased from several other online sales sites as well. Get the "Parts Unlimted" sticker on many tires that are sent to me. I think it may have something to do with whoever imports the tire perhaps; don't really know.
One feature I like about AMT is their PayPal option. Makes for really quick ordering.

Old 01-28-2009, 12:29 PM
Uncle Scrooge
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've bought several tires from Americanmototire. None of them have been more than a few months old. IMHO great place to do business.

Old 01-28-2009, 01:44 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 701 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Scrooge
I've bought several tires from Americanmototire. None of them have been more than a few months old. IMHO great place to do business.
I just mounted new tires I bought from them. I can't remember how old they were for sure other than to say they were of recent manufacture. Unbeatable prices too.

Quick Reply: New Tires