General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Test ride on a GoldWing

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 04:04 PM
ChiefGator
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Test ride on a GoldWing

I am in the market for a long haul touring bike. I have heard for years that the GoldWing is the Cadillac of touring bikes. So, I wanted to try it for myself.
One of my fellow Rider Coaches has one and he let me take it out after we finished on the range Saturday.

I rode it on the range and it is so well balanced that I was dragging pegs within 5 minutes. The acceleration was quick and the steering was light. This thing had every creature comfort any human could ever ask for: GPS, Satellite radio, MP3 input, cruise, heated seats and grips, cup holders, ABS, and even an airbag... It ran so smoothly that I had to blip the throttle to make sure it was still running.

My wife climbed aboard and off we went. As we were riding, she said, "This is like sitting in a Laz-E-Boy". We rode for about 15 minutes and took it back to him.

Later that afternoon, my wife and I took my Shovel out for a ride. She leaned up and said, "Ok, now THIS is what a motorcycle is supposed to feel like!" We talked about it later and the best way we could describe the ride on the GW was "Sterile and Antiseptic". There was really no excitement in riding it. It was a vastly superior machine to my old Shovel, but it had no soul.

On Sunday, I rode my Shovel to the range and I let him ride it. He came back with a grin the size of Georgia. He raved about just how cool that bike was to ride... Maybe now he understands...

It sort of reminded me of the time I went to a baseball game at HH Metrodome then a week later went to a game at Fenway... Yes, HHM has easier access to bathrooms and better ramps and all that jazz, but the game at Fenway moved me...

Bottom line is that my list of long haul touring bikes has been narrowed down to one ......... a FLTR with a tour pak.

Last edited by ChiefGator; 02-02-2009 at 07:03 PM.
Old 02-02-2009, 04:06 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I hear ya,, keep think that way,,,, cause GW riders prefer weeners over tacos!

Old 02-02-2009, 04:08 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Last edited by electaRICK; 02-02-2009 at 04:11 PM. Reason: double post
MidnightFLHX11
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

well im sure glad you are sticking with the pack and that your wife knows how a "bike should feel"

question; what happens to you if you are in an accident and the airbag deploys? won't it launch you off the seat backwards? i'd rather go down with the bike or bail if so.

jokerx
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ChiefGator

The was really no excitement in riding it. It was a vastly superior machine to my old Shovel, but it had no soul.
That's it exactly.

Old 02-02-2009, 04:12 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

yanno rick, I really liked my Aspencade.....

Old 02-02-2009, 04:23 PM
bluebagger
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GW

LOL, I know what you mean. Had an 05 with all the bells and whistles, felt like I was in a 2 w wheel car. Did a 5 state trip a couple o year ago with some friends. One who was on a 1998 RoadKing. We stopped in all the Harley shops on the trip. I found myself checking all the Harley out in every shop. Got home sold the GW an bought a Ultra Classic. Can't tell you the joy that came over me on my first ride. However, wife wanted a more sporty look so I than got my 08 RG. Love this bike more than any other I have ever had. I think this is my 8 bike, at my age I don't remember like I use to.

Old 02-02-2009, 04:32 PM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

yep. It's like cruising in a caddy (which is nice and comfortable) or cruising in a 66 vette (which is just plain badazz)

Old 02-02-2009, 04:33 PM
ChiefGator
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by CopperFXSTC08
well im sure glad you are sticking with the pack and that your wife knows how a "bike should feel"

question; what happens to you if you are in an accident and the airbag deploys? won't it launch you off the seat backwards? i'd rather go down with the bike or bail if so.
From what I understand, the airbag comes around you and not just in front.

I will always be a member of the pack, the Shovel was never going anywhere anyway, I was just looking to add to the stable.

Old 02-02-2009, 04:36 PM
ChiefGator
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by carpetride
yep. It's like cruising in a caddy (which is nice and comfortable) or cruising in a 66 vette (which is just plain badazz)

I can relate... I have a '66 Mustang

Quick Reply: Test ride on a GoldWing